Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worriedtodeath

Help We Have Geen Slime Again!

My 22 month old has been doing great Gluten-free Casein-free. Now pollen season has kicked in and she is very sick with a high fever. We started dosing her with tylenol childrens grape flavor which I thought was safe from dairy and gluten. Today we have oodles and oodles of dark green slimy shiny liquid. (sorry to be gross!) It looks more like a lactose/dairy reaction but her attitude is more of a gluten issue (of course she is sick and miserable ) NO one else has D but me and I still have that on and off as we have only been Gluten-free Casein-free about 9 or so weeks so not sure that is connected to her episode. All of the food I can think of are foods we have eaten before and I think are still from the same boxes we ate last time. YEsterday she did pig out since it was the only thing she would eat on winnie the pooh cereal and trix both of which came from boxes she had eaten from before. She's not producing enough congestion to warrant this much in her diaper (I've dealt with allergy babies before and know about the stuff that comes out there instead of the nose LOL)

Could the meds be the problem? It looked safe but it does have xanthan gum and soribitol in it and her sugar processing levels were low to abnormal across the board so maybe it is just too much of that stuff??

Thanks for the detective work.

Stacie

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My daughter picked up a blue dye intolerance that gives her the same reaction as her gluten reaction (acid reflux). My son had problems with red dye when he was younger (two). His reaction was a rash. In both cases, there seems to be some sort of threshold to cross . . . a little isn't a problem . . . a lot is. Whenever my son took meds is when he usually had the biggest problems . . . maybe because he was getting a dose every four hours. I try to buy all dye-free meds now. They still have the flavoring and the cost is the same. If it is a dye reaction, the Trix didn't help.

Don't know if that's your problem, just sharing what happens at our house ;)

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Join eNewsletter

I was doing great on my elimination diet until hay fever season ... i started having oral allergy syndrome, where foods i wasnt allergic to before (oranges, in this case) suddenly caused sores in my mouth and unpleasantness when coming out. I wonder if it could be that?

the dye sounds like a likely candidate, too, tho

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Join eNewsletter

I think I read something about sugar alcohols causing D in large enough amounts. If memory serves it was on Wikipedia. However, that may not be the cause of your child's symptoms. One other thing is that I believe some companies use corn to grow the microbes which produce xanthan gum. So if your child is sensitive enough to corn, maybe that has something to do with it.

As Darn210 mentioned, it might be a reaction to dye. Suppose you try a different brand of acetaminophen based syrup, or a different sort of remedy altogether? I'd Google up natural/home remedies for whatever it is she's got, and try that before trying those syrups. I think I heard they don't do anything anyway. Garlic is especially good for all sorts of things, but small children might not be so willing to indulge in something smothered in garlic mayonnaise/butter or whatever. I remember as a little kid having garlic toast whenever I was sick. Chicken soup is another good one, and modern medicine still can't figure out why it works!

Hope you child gets better soon!

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter