Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dolcenotte

I'm Worried I'm Allergic To Dairy Too!

Today I ate all gluten free and was planning on have gluten included in my dinner for the sake of the endoscopy soon. I had 2 cups of 1% organic valley chocolate milk ( it seems like that is gluten free,correct me if i am wrong), faje yogurt with gluten free granola, some fruit, and 2 pieces of trader joe's string cheese. My stomach is busting out of my pants and hard as rock like it is on a regular day with a mixture of foods. Is this just because I have gluten in my stomach on a regular basis because I haven;t rid myself of it yet or do you think this might be a lactose intolerance? Dairy is so important to me, more so than wheat products. I've been saying, "Take away my wheat if you must, but don't dare take away my dairy!" I hope this is not the case. What do you think?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Lactose intolerance and dairy allergy are two different things. For years I was told I had lactose intolerance. I knew milk made me very sick and so did ice cream, but I thought cheese did not. Wrong! Turns out it was responsible for all the ear, nose and throat infections I had over the years.

I thought I could never do without dairy. But once I realized how much better I felt when off of it, I will never go back. I immediately lose 12 pounds once I stopped eating it and my stomach was flatter.

You can get rice based yogurt and cheese (check to make sure there is no casein), rice based ice creams, or you can have Coconut Bliss or some sorbets. There is Parma! An nut based faux cheese for pasta. Or you can use nutritional yeast as a topping.

Join eNewsletter

It's not uncommon for celiacs to have issues with casein, the protein in dairy products, as well. Because of the damaged villi the casein is difficult to digest.

Some doctors even advise their patients after a diagnosis to avoid dairy for 6 months, and then reintroduce it on a trial basis to see if symptoms continue.

The symptoms you describe here sound pretty intense, you might want to eliminate the dairy and see if it alleviates your discomfort.

Join eNewsletter

thank you for your replies. Is there a specific test that can determine lactose intolerance or casein allergies? I'm going to the gastroenterologist tomorrow afternoon. I was thinking when i eliminate gluten from my diet, I'll be able to tell if dairy bothers me if I'm still getting bloated and feeling the same after about a week to a month after i begin the diet. And from there if im having trouble I will eliminate dairy for a while and see what happens. Is this a good idea?

Join eNewsletter

thank you for your replies. Is there a specific test that can determine lactose intolerance or casein allergies? I'm going to the gastroenterologist tomorrow afternoon. I was thinking when i eliminate gluten from my diet, I'll be able to tell if dairy bothers me if I'm still getting bloated and feeling the same after about a week to a month after i begin the diet. And from there if im having trouble I will eliminate dairy for a while and see what happens. Is this a good idea?

You can get a RAST test for food allergies. They will test you on all the things you commonly eat. But I don't think the Dr. you are going to can do that. I could be wrong though. Mine was done through a Naturopath, but allergists can do it too.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter