Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mdmm

Oat Is Gluten Free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Oats themself are gluten free, but are usually contaminated by wheat in the processing. Most oats in the US are grown next to wheat fields, they are processed in the same plants as wheat and the cross contamination is nearly 100%. Plus, many celiac's are intolerant to oats too. Here is a link you can read in this forum: https://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Di...en%252dFree%3F/ Oats bothered me years before I even knew about celiac disease. There are oats now grown specifically for celiac's. http://www.glutenfreeoats.com/ They say they are very expensive though.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

You can buy gluten free oats at a health foods store but as Deb has mentioned they are expensive. I saw a bag of them for $9 and the bag was very small.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I ate one clif bar a day last week, as I thought clif bars would be gluten free. They are made of oats, but so far I had not noticed a reaction as I didn't eat clif bars too frequently (I started a new job where I need a snack to get me through the day so I started eating them more).

Wow. I had quite a reaction. I also think I got glutened in another way but it was mild and I'm 99% sure the clif bars did it. I should have looked into it more. I went to their website after I realized I was glutened and yep, they say on there clif bars contain gluten. Silly little me. Now I have two boxes of clif bars to give away. :(

No more oats for me!

Your body doesn't look up the ingredients on the food you eat. For some people, the protein in oats is similar enough to the protein in wheat that a raction is triggered. In a similar way, I have not had a noticable reaction to barley when I've accidentally had it (not reading labels closely) but I try to avoid it because I can't be sure there isn't internal damage.

The conflicting info therefore comes from two directions, not all celiac react to pure oats and the likely cross-contamination.