Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dolcenotte

Alcoholic Beverages,brands, And Mixes

In the midst of all my other stress with trying to gain control of this new lifestyle, I've just realized that I must find out about alcohol. Anyone know a good site or have a good list about brands, types of liquor, and mixes that are safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Any distilled alcohol is now considered safe for celiac to consume. There is a small portion of people who will react to grain based distilled alcohol and vinegars.

What you need to be careful with is when flavor is added to alcohol.

Seven up, Pepsi, Coke, Sprites and the Diets are glutuen free. Tonic and Soda water is of course.

If you are in the beginning of healing , it would be wise to minimize your exposure. Alcohol acts as a cleaner through your body.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/222/1/Glute...ages/Page1.html

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

The Celiac Sprue Association site also has some good info and I like it because they divide things into foundation (begining) and expanding (after you have healed) stages:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_choices.php

Use caution with distilled grain alcohols, as mentioned some of us are very sensitive to them. You may want to wait until you are healed before you try them so you will know for sure whether you can safely imbibe.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

EXPANDING STAGE:

Distilled liquors known to be from wheat, barley or rye are categorized as

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

thanks for that info... i figured! Does anyone know if Brugal Rum from Dominican Republic is made from wheat? i believe it is made from molasses/sugar cane which should be safe.

thanks for that info... i figured! Does anyone know if Brugal Rum from Dominican Republic is made from wheat? i believe it is made from molasses/sugar cane which should be safe.

While I don't know that particular brand, I have never, ever encountered a rum that was grain based. I just don't worry about rum, period. :)

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007