This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candida Section

RiceGuy

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, the title basically states my question, which is: Why isn't there a candida forum on the board? The threads directly related to the topic are innumerable, so I think it would help everyone if candida issues had their own section. The same questions are being asked and answered continuously.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

veggienft Rookie
Well, the title basically states my question, which is: Why isn't there a candida forum on the board? The threads directly related to the topic are innumerable, so I think it would help everyone if candida issues had their own section. The same questions are being asked and answered continuously.

As I write this reply, I believe mods could be moving the thread, but.......

Practically, this gluten-free forum is a place for celiac patients to get help. Candidiasis appears when a celiac patient asks what else could be causing his/her unresolved symptoms .......an ancillary celiac issue. A candida section seems misdirected in a forum dedicated to people asking for help for ancillary celiac issues.

A person who has candidiasis, but doesn't know it, wouldn't know to seek help in a candida section.

......IMO.

Lisa Mentor
As I write this reply, I believe mods could be moving the thread, but.......

Practically, this gluten-free forum is a place for celiac patients to get help. Candidiasis appears when a celiac patient asks what else could be causing his/her unresolved symptoms .......an ancillary celiac issue. A candida section seems misdirected in a forum dedicated to people asking for help for ancillary celiac issues.

A person who has candidiasis, but doesn't know it, wouldn't know to seek help in a candida section.

......IMO.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

an

confused Community Regular

I did start an candida thread months ago. Even when it was high on the new post, many people still posted their new questions seperate. Even when members would tell them to go to the candida thread, they would not do it. I finally gave up trying to keep it bumped up, but if you would like to bump it up and keep up with it, that is fine with me. There is tons of good info on that thread.

paula

AliB Enthusiast

Well they kind of do in the Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues Section, Leaky Gut being a common by-product of Candida. There are many and varied threads on Candida in that section. Candida is not confined to Celiac disease, it is linked to many other diseases like Diabetes although it is quite likely that there is a gluten connection to both types 1 and 2 and a host of other diseases too.

Perhaps it does need a separate section but then where do you draw the line? There are so many other important areas to include.

veggienft Rookie

Please don't take this as pushing, but as a defense of candidiasis. There're a lot of social stigma issues associated with the subject of candidiasis. I believe there's no subject which cannot be discussed, if discussed sensibly.

Some people believe candidiasis to be a venereal disease, and mentally stigmatize candidiasis patients, especially female patients, accordingly. Candida albicans can be transferred through sex, but that's far from it's primary means of transfer. It resides on the mucous membranes, especially in the small intestines, of practically everyone.

Candida is damaging to human tissue, and thrives in the presence of sugar. Sugar is addictive, especially to candidiasis patients. And addiction carries its own stigma issues.

This research....... Open Original Shared Link .......found identical DNA sequences at critical autoimmune locations of gluten protein and candida protein. For many people like me, candidiasis and celiac are probably the same disease.

Science should not be shoved around by decorum. Neither should science be dragged around by addiction, by profit motive, or by preconceived notions.

Science should be allowed to lead where it leads.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Well they kind of do in the Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues Section, Leaky Gut being a common by-product of Candida. There are many and varied threads on Candida in that section. Candida is not confined to Celiac disease, it is linked to many other diseases like Diabetes although it is quite likely that there is a gluten connection to both types 1 and 2 and a host of other diseases too.

Perhaps it does need a separate section but then where do you draw the line? There are so many other important areas to include.

Yeah, I did consider that. And while candida is technically covered, there just seems to be such an enormous amount of discussion about it. I guess my reasoning is more along the lines of organization. Keeping things logically arranged for easy navigation, not to mention that I'm not the only one to repeat myself a zillion times in untold numbers of threads. It waists space, time, and limits the amount of information one can easily locate.

A tough call, I agree.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confused Community Regular

Oh, you want an whole section, not just an thread.

I think it would be good to have an section that covers

1. candida

2. bacterial infections

3. parasites

I really think that would be a good idea, anyone agree.

paula

happygirl Collaborator

I believe that there are already multiple places on where these topics (regardless of the 'condition') can be discussed.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Oh, you want an whole section, not just an thread.

I think it would be good to have an section that covers

1. candida

2. bacterial infections

3. parasites

I really think that would be a good idea, anyone agree.

paula

Ah, that's a good idea I think. Conditions which are treated in similar ways, and can often be confused with each other.

I believe that there are already multiple places on where these topics (regardless of the 'condition') can be discussed.

Well, that's partly the problem IMHO. The threads on candida aren't organized in one convenient/logical place.

happygirl Collaborator

Personally, I don't see it as any different than some people post (when looking for a restaurant in an unfamiliar city) in the restaurants forum, and some people post the same type of question in the 'travel' forum. Or people ask about how to broach the topic of getting family members tested ... some post in coping, some in pre-diagnosis, some in post-diagnosis. I think there are many, many topics that fall under this category of "fits in multiple places."

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Personally, I dont feel that it would be necessary to have an entire forum just for candida. I think that the Food Intolerance/ Leaky Gut forum is a suitable place for questions regarding Candida.

Many people have thyroid disease in addition to Celiac...or Diabetes in addition to Celiac...yet there is no single forum dedicated to these other conditions. Instead there is the "Related Disorders and Research" forum where these topics are discussed.

I think it would be appropriate to post candida questions in either of these forums.

I agree that there are quite a few threads about candida but there are also several threads about McDonalds french fries or cross contamination issues. So where do you draw the line? I think that the board already has forums which are suitable for all questions. A candida forum doesnt really seem necessary in my opinion.

AliB Enthusiast

What may be possible is to have sub-groups within the FI & LG section. I have seen that before on other sites. Then it might be better organised, perhaps groups for Food Intolerances, Candida and Leaky Gut, Parasites, and anything related or Miscellaneous.

The reason why we have to keep repeating ourselves is because people don't want to have to trawl back through hundreds of topics in an attempt to find what they are looking for. Having a good search facility might help on that one. The other thing is that people like to get feedback and the only way they can do that is to keep posting!

Archived