This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From North Carolina

Debkrause1

Debkrause1 Newbie

Is anyone here from North Carolina?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Yes, we have several members in or near Cary, Raleigh, Apex, Durham, Chapel Hill, New Bern, Winston Salem, Murphy, Kitty Hawk and Edenton....from one end to the other. :D

lizard00 Enthusiast

Greetings from Raleighwood!!

• 1 month later...
Beth in NC Contributor

Just joined and in Raleigh too!

crazymurdock Apprentice

I am hiding out in the Waynesville area- not far from mile marker 20 on Interstate 40.

Ridgewalker Contributor

Up in the Pilot Mountain area here.

• 2 weeks later...
quillpenz Newbie
Is anyone here from North Carolina?

I am in Chapel Hill. Is there a group? How do I find other celiac sufferers? :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I am in Chapel Hill. Is there a group? How do I find other celiac sufferers? :P

Welcome,

I'm on the East Coast. Here is a list of some people who can get you started:

Open Original Shared Link

Beth in NC Contributor
Welcome,

I'm on the East Coast. Here is a list of some people who can get you started:

I was quite surprised with that list...no one in CENTRAL NC...not a 919 area code in the bunch!

I haven't found a local support group in the Triangle yet...but I haven't look really hard for lack of time. Well, I actually did find something about one online, but it appeared inactive...no events for quite a long time.

Lisa Mentor
I was quite surprised with that list...no one in CENTRAL NC...not a 919 area code in the bunch!

I haven't found a local support group in the Triangle yet...but I haven't look really hard for lack of time. Well, I actually did find something about one online, but it appeared inactive...no events for quite a long time.

Have your tried these folks?:

Beth in NC Contributor
Have your tried these folks?:

No, I never saw them. I think perhaps because I wasn't using Sprue in my searches? Thanks!

salomeh7 Newbie

quillpenz Newbie

Thanks Momma. I am close to the Pittsboro group and I will make contact.

I will be on the east coast this summer. Is there support in and around Southport? What about food coops or places to buy gluten free foods? Chapel Hill has Wellspring and also a wonderful coop grocery in Pittsboro. the Co-op in Pittsobor has wonderful pastas, spaghetti and Macaroni pastas of rice and other things. Thanks. Q :)

Beth in NC Contributor

I will be on the east coast this summer. Is there support in and around Southport? What about food coops or places to buy gluten free foods? Chapel Hill has Wellspring and also a wonderful coop grocery in Pittsboro. the Co-op in Pittsobor has wonderful pastas, spaghetti and Macaroni pastas of rice and other things. Thanks. Q :)

Q,

I contacted two of the ladies from that North Raleigh group and there is a meeting at Rex Hospital in Raleigh the third Thursday of each month...they are taking August off but start again in September. 7 p.m. I'm planning to go if at all possible....it's hard to think that far ahead!

crazymurdock Apprentice

I do not know if it is so in other FoodLions grocery stores, but a couple of days ago I went into the one in Waynesville and they had a little section dedicated to gluten free foods. I was shocked! Normally I would have to drive 40 miles to go to Earthfare in Asheville to shop for things.

tipnpat Newbie

I'm in Asheville, NC!

Ridgewalker Contributor
I do not know if it is so in other FoodLions grocery stores, but a couple of days ago I went into the one in Waynesville and they had a little section dedicated to gluten free foods. I was shocked! Normally I would have to drive 40 miles to go to Earthfare in Asheville to shop for things.

There are three Food Lions I shop at, and the newest one (a couple years old) has an organic section. They actually do carry a few gluten-free things mixed into that section-- Bob's Red Mill Chocolate Chip Cookie and Brownie mixes, a couple gluten-free Envirokids cereals, Ian's gluten-free Chicken Nuggets, and Vann's Waffles.

I've gotten things there a couple times, but I usually make the trek to Whole Foods in Winston-Salem. (an hour drive for me, too...)

quillpenz Newbie

Crazy, I have found that Harris Teeter will special order gluten free items if you give them the brand and the item. I had Harris Teeter order the gluten free steel cut oat meal made by red mill. They already had the flours and several soups. They ordered a half dozen oat meals. I bought two. The manager said that the other three disappeared off the shelves in a day. They are realizing that among their anonymous customers, #'s of us exist. They are becoming more sensitive. Harris Teeter and Lowes have lots of products but not in a section. My next request, when I come back from vacation will be to ask them to group the items. I am almost sure that they will because the numbers of celiacs like us are growing.!! I can't wait to check my local Food Lion.

Some restautants are now printing gluten free menus. If we all keep asking, it will get through. I will try to find a list of the ones that do and I will post them in a couple weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
GlutenFreeRaleigh Newbie

hey everybody... I am in Raleigh, NC. Diagnosed Celiac in June. I see the calendar posting for a Raleigh Support Group meeting at Rex Hospital on 9/19 at 7pm. anyone plan on attending? Also, I dont want to get dinged for self promotion, but if anyone is interested in a blog about being gluten-free in Raleigh, feel free to check my profile for the link. I am writing about my experiences (grocery stores, restaurant reviews, etc...). Not selling anything just want to help. Have a great day everyone!

Beth in NC Contributor
hey everybody... I am in Raleigh, NC. Diagnosed Celiac in June. I see the calendar posting for a Raleigh Support Group meeting at Rex Hospital on 9/19 at 7pm. anyone plan on attending? Also, I dont want to get dinged for self promotion, but if anyone is interested in a blog about being gluten-free in Raleigh, feel free to check my profile for the link. I am writing about my experiences (grocery stores, restaurant reviews, etc...). Not selling anything just want to help. Have a great day everyone!

I'm planning to be there!

Beth in NC Contributor

Just looked at your blog...we go to the same GI practice! I'm seeing Dr. Parekh though...really like him. How do you feel about yours?

I'm also curious if you actually went to the dieticians? My insurance doesn't cover it, and I also thought I had probably learned most of what she would tell me here, ya know? I hate to pay out of pocket for nothing!

Diagnosed a month later than you! July 16...a day I will never forget.

GlutenFreeRaleigh Newbie

Beth in NC - I really like my doctor and he found my issue quickly. I know it takes most people a long time to get diagnosed but after one meeting with me he found my issue with a quick blood test. I would consider him a good doctor and would definitely refer him to others. start to finish, he found my issue in about 1 month total.

I have been to the dietitian 1 time (had to buy a package of 3 visits). the first visit was really simple stuff that I had already known (like you said). if you have google, you can find it out. i think the next 2 visits will be better though... i plan on writing about this whole experience on my blog of course. with the next 2 visits, the plan on measuring my metabolism to get a resting rate and then let me know what i should be eating. right now (as i heal from being gluten-free) i am always really hungry so i eat constantly. also, i was able to convince my employer (a rather large one in the area) to change our insurance policy to pay for these services!

maybe i will see you at the meeting at Rex.

hope you like my blog and feel free to check back for updates or let me know anything for ideas that could help others.

mstroud Rookie

Hello all! I'm also in Raleigh. My oldest son was diagnosed with Celiac in May so we're just starting to get into the swing of gluten free living. I attended a North Raleigh support group meeting right after my son was dianosed and also a Cel-Kids picnic / meeting a couple weeks ago. There are several members who attend both. I hope to attend the September meeting as well!

I need to check out the glulten free in Raleigh blog! Any pointers or new info that I can get is great!

Hope to see you all at the September meeting! Oh ... and if any of your all have children with Celiac there is supposed to be a Cel-Kids meeting in November.

Margaret

ForevertheChimera Newbie

I'm a NC girl myself, new here, just thought I'd say hi. Though I am on the coast, by Elizabeth City.

Lisa Mentor
I'm a NC girl myself, new here, just thought I'd say hi. Though I am on the coast, by Elizabeth City.

Hello and Welcome!

I'm in Edenton. If I can help you in any way, let me know.

Archived