Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BarbaraB

Airborne Gluten

I can't figure out where to post this.

I need to use a mix with wheat in it, and I heard I could ingest gluten from wheat that gets airborne. That may explain my minor difficulties.

I'm trying to find out whether people have had success with using surgical masks to keep the gluten out.

Should it be posted somewhere else?

Thanks!

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Barbara and welcome :)

I moved your topic to the "Coping With" forum. I think if I were to use a dry mix containing wheat flour, I would definately use a mask. I've never actually tried it, though.

The one thing I don't allow in my kitchen is wheat flour--it not only gets airborne, but anywhere it lands, it contaminates. Please be careful and clean all surfaces carefully when you're finished.

There are some very good gluten-free mixes out there and lots and lots of great gluten-free recipes here on the board.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Why do you need to use the mix? Are you baking something? This sounds dangerous to me. If you are not breathing it in, then you are going to maybe get it on your skin or at least into your kitchen where you don't want it. I got rid of all things containing wheat flour. It's just not worth the risk.

There was a New England Journal of Medicine article a few years ago that did substantiate what some people post (not that that is necessary, but sometimes it nice for "science" to catch on) that some persons with celiac disease do react to airborne gluten. (ex: wheat flour in a bakery)

So like others said, it might be wise to stop handling gluten and/or wear a mask. Also be very careful about washing your hands and clothing before touching your "safe" food, as well as surfaces and whatnot.

Why do you have to use a wheat flour mix? If it were me, I'd refuse. Practically anything can be made using gluten-free flours or wheat products can be store-bought already made or someone else can make the mix in their own kitchen (I do not allow wheat flour in my own kitchen). I can't think of a situation where it would be so important to use the wheat flour mix that you can't make a substitution or other accommodation.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

I know from experience that anytime I walk down the bread isle at the store I end up with a headache

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

I do bring a mask with me if I want to buy wine in costco. The dept. is next to the bakery and previously i've picked a bottle and been sick by the time I get to check out. TThe masks work but I usually dont go near the area now and get my wine elsewhere now.

wont walk into a bakery at all. Breathing in flour gives me serious cramps and pain where as if I eat something that accident contains gluten I get dh and other problems.

ken

I can't figure out where to post this.

I need to use a mix with wheat in it, and I heard I could ingest gluten from wheat that gets airborne. That may explain my minor difficulties.

I'm trying to find out whether people have had success with using surgical masks to keep the gluten out.

Should it be posted somewhere else?

Thanks!

Barbara

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator