Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Diagnosis Appetite

Since I was diagnosed recently, I switched over to what I hope to be a gluten free diet. It's only been a couple weeks; but I'm noticing that as of about a week ago, my appetite has grown notably. I am eating large quantities of food; just like old bodybuilding days. I am training with about the same intensity as before, but make no mistake, I can eat that cow just to your right (in the Brown Cow ad) in one sitting!

Is this a sign of healing? Or, was the gluten foods simply more filling. What does this mean!?

Celiac Dx: June 16, 2008

EDG Confirmation: Acheived C3 "severe" on July 8, 2008

Gluten-Free Since: June 21, 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It happened to me too. I was starving for about 6 weeks. Even waking at 3 am just ravenous. Then it went away. There were many theories thrown around. But likely your body is trying to make up for lost time. The gluten kept you from absorbing nutrients and now your body is starting to be able to do so.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

It took me 10 months for my appetite to get back to normal. The answer my nd gave me was that when you eat gluten you actually press your body so much, the whole system is trying to kill the "intruder", and your metabolism is not working well...Now your metabolism is working back to normal, but your villy is not healed so you can't absorb any of the ingredients you are getting and your body needs huge amounts of food. Believe me, I had to eat every 2-3 hours, and I there was no food around I could burst in tears (and I am really really really skinny). I also lost 4 kilos when I started the gluten-free diet. Now that my villy is healed I can say that things are much better. I've put on some weight and I like it! And I am not eating so so so much anymore. Imagine I would have to eat apart from my 2-3 huge meals, 6-8 bananas, much much much peanut butter and many many many rice cakes just not to fall apart. My mom kept telling everyone that she was cooking for a whole family in the morning and in the afternoon there was nothing left to eat cuz of me. ............

This is very common, and it will get better. Enjoy it!!!

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Apparently it is pretty common.

"Q: I feel hungry all the time. Is that normal?

Yes, it is very common. Your body is making up for the time it wasn't fully absorbing foods. Hunger levels tend to normalize within the first months after eliminating gluten and beginning a well balanced diet of gluten-free foods."

From: http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...nts/A02-FAQ.htm

me too.

I was the type that gained weight easily, overnight even. I did not eat alot either. I think I was holding on to every bit of nourishment I got. I worked hard to not be overweight.

Then when I went gluten free I lost weight, 6 pounds, without trying and while eating alot of food. I was hungry too! But I stopped getting that awful low blood sugar feeling and naseaus feeling when I got hungry. I just felt hungry.

Things stabilized though. Now I feel normal hunger wise. My weight has stayed the same for several months.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

I actually hope to gain some of my weight back. The only issue I have with my appetite is that it's expensive and I have to cook everything. I'm very afraid of restaurants; I do not trust them. I've seen too much that makes me prefer to prepare my own foods.

Celiac Dx: June 16, 2008

EDG Confirmation: Acheived C3 "severe" on July 8, 2008

Gluten-Free Since: June 21, 2008

Is this a sign of healing? Or, was the gluten foods simply more filling. What does this mean!?

I too, experienced the same thing. I just could not seem to eat enough food to feel satisfied. I am still ravenous most of the time. I am a sponsored marathon runner, so I try to keep my weight down in order to perform at my peak, and I have been eating so much food that I was sure I would gain weight. However, that has not happened yet. For now, I just keep piling the food in because if I don't, I feel like I am starving.

Like you, I avoid eating out most of the time (I don't like other people touching my food), and I spend a LOT of money on food.

Walt

Daughter diagnosed via positve blood work 09/2005 - she had negative biopsy

Sister Dx via bloodwork

Nephew has daughter with celiac disease Dx'd at age 6 months

Me - negative blood and biopsy, but HUGE dietary response. No question in my mind.