This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Day #2 Gluten Free

Live2BWell

Live2BWell Enthusiast

Ok, so today is DAY #2 of being Gluten-Free. I actually DO feel better - the little red bumps/dots on my skin are significantly improved, and I noticed that by the end of yesterday. My GI issues have also improved slightly. Considering it's only the second day, I can only hope that things will get better from here.

With that being said, although my experience thus far has overall been good, I have to say I am hungry and VERY TIRED, I am guessing that is a type of withdrawl <_<

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/advice on how to get through this rough patch with a bit more ease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I went through similar with being tired and hungry in the beginning. Mine got better during the first couple of months. I brought snacks to work like apples with peanut butter, carrots, nuts -- things I could snack on at my desk. Gluten Free pasta seemed to be one of my stables that helped fill me up -- ha have to be careful though also noticed some weight gain from all the eating and pasta (but not dramatic gain -- healthy gain). gluten-free brown rice, tuna with cottage cheese instead of mayo, chicken....

Drink lots of liquids. I tried to move around a lot or walk on the tradmill if I had time to wake up a little more and not feel so tired. Sometimes it worked others times it didn't. But the tiredness did improve.

GOOD LUCK -- one step at a time :D

sickchick Community Regular

tired and hungry...sounds right to me! :D

my tummy was good after about 2 weeks. no 'd' since I got off all my intolerances except when I had flu last week. bleh :huh:

be patient with yourself Doll. :)

You are SO on the right track

I walk everyday too that's been my saving grace.

dbmamaz Explorer

My withdrawal was different, i felt dizzy for 2 weeks. Well, not exactly dizzy but sort of dizzy, i couldnt find anything that sounded like it on line, it except someone describing how they felt when they had withdrawal from a psych med . . . I also had dark circles under my eyes for a few days.

However, my stand-by snacks for when I'm feeling hungry and tired is usually nuts - nut bars, plain almonds, some sort of snack mix with nuts and maybe chocolate . . . just be careful w the nuts, since many roasted nuts have added ingredients . . . you want no ingredients except nuts and salt, kwim. But nuts are high in protien (good for energy) and crunchy (chewing is soothing, and crunching wakes me up lol).

And of course the most important thing - be kind to yourself, let yourself rest and dont be upset if a few things fall behind for a few days. Your body has a lot of adjusting to do.

Live2BWell Enthusiast
My withdrawal was different, i felt dizzy for 2 weeks. Well, not exactly dizzy but sort of dizzy, i couldnt find anything that sounded like it on line, it except someone describing how they felt when they had withdrawal from a psych med . . . I also had dark circles under my eyes for a few days.

However, my stand-by snacks for when I'm feeling hungry and tired is usually nuts - nut bars, plain almonds, some sort of snack mix with nuts and maybe chocolate . . . just be careful w the nuts, since many roasted nuts have added ingredients . . . you want no ingredients except nuts and salt, kwim. But nuts are high in protien (good for energy) and crunchy (chewing is soothing, and crunching wakes me up lol).

And of course the most important thing - be kind to yourself, let yourself rest and dont be upset if a few things fall behind for a few days. Your body has a lot of adjusting to do.

Thanks for the comment, and it sounded great - except.... I can't eat nuts (and I'm not supposed to eat chocolate either) ~ hmmmm :rolleyes:

Any other ideas?

ShayFL Enthusiast

Same for me. Tired and starving. The hunger died down for me after about 6 weeks. I lost about 5 pounds. But have since put it back on. :) I didnt need to lose it!

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm pretty sure that peanuts and cashews aren't nuts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfpaperdoll Rookie

cashews are nuts, I have seen them growing on cashew trees - they grow at the bottom of the cashew fruit, which makes great jam or wine. Peanuts are also nuts, although they are really classified as a legume, but anyone that has a nut allergy better not be eating peanuts!! :)

try some cold sliced chicken with a fruit for a snack. some mashed up avocado or sliced with corn chips. But be careful about eating Fritos - they make me sick everytime these days... I like the Mission Brand Corn strips.

dried fruit is always good, apples, prunes, dates, cherries, raisins, apricots... you can also get coconut chips - which is just shaved coconut pieces.

1/2 cup coleslaw with a piece of cold meat

Boars head deli lunch meat rolled up with a pickle & or wrapped in lettuce.. or rolled around grated carrot - my favorite.

homemade spring rolls

deviled eggs, or boiled eggs

jello made with 100% fruit juice

plantains - they come in a bag, like chips

I would keep cooked meat cut into thick slices in the freezer in snack portions & then take out one of those & grab some dried fruit etc...

curlyfries Contributor

So you can't have cocoa beans............what about carob?

Live2BWell Enthusiast
So you can't have cocoa beans............what about carob?

LoL, I have never heard of Carob, so is it safe to assume that it's a.o.k.?

:lol:

Hummingbird4 Explorer

Sounds like you are doing great!

I am on Day 2 also. So far, so good. I wasn't having any symptoms anyway, so I can't say that I feel any different at all! I had a little pity party for myself today though, but I snapped out of it. And I talked to my sister, who recently had the blood test which came back negative. Hooray for her!

Tomorrow we have a family reunion. I'm bringing Vietnamese Bun salad, which is rice noodles, chicken, bean sprouts, mint, basil, chopped peanuts, and chopped cucumbers. Also a decadent layered dessert with all kinds of sweet stuff like chocolate chips and coconut. Gluten-free OF COURSE! My sister said she's bringing a jello & fruit salad. And the reunion is at my aunt's house, who has a "wheat allergy," so I know there will at least be a few things I can eat.

One has to wonder if this "wheat allergy" is really celiac!

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Jessica,

I felt the same way at first. I was very lethargic. Also, I was hungry, especially since I didn't really know what I could eat. I was afraid to eat at first. I always had bananas in the house. Such a safe food and loaded with potassium. You are lucky that you found this forum so early into your treatment! There are so many great ideas, advice, recipes. Also, if you take any supplements or meds, make sure you go through them all to make sure they are gluten-free. I had to change quite a few.

Good luck. You are certainly on the right track! So glad you found the forum - such a wealth of info., you can find just about anything.

Katsby Apprentice

I got dizzy too.

FoxersArtist Contributor

When my husband and I first went gluten free, my gosh, were we HUNGRY. I couldn't stop thinking about how empty my tummy felt all the time and lost so much weight I wondered if there would even be anything left of me before long. It all did even out and we no longer feel hungry all of the time. Give it a few weeks and you'r body will adjust and stop craving all of those empty wheat calories.

-Anna

Archived