This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low Hcg -- Should I Be Nervous?

amybeth

amybeth Enthusiast

Just venting b/c we decided not to tell family yet. We have been TTC for over a year - going through fertility treatments for 3 months and FINALLY got a positive test this week. BUT dr's blood test showed an HCG level of 54 --- they were hoping to see 100, at this point (4 weeks since last period).......and I have to go back tomorrow to see if the #'s are doubling up.

I'm so nervous, but I know that this anxiety isn't good for my body, right now....I was so relieved when we got our test results, but now I'm concerned that my doctor feels this level is too low.

I'm 33 so we're hoping this happens soon.

Fingers crossed --- and hoping for good news tomorrow afternoon ---

Anyone have any insight? I know there's just so much variance from one pregnancy to the next, but has anyone else experienced this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Fingers crossed for you also. ;)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I think if I am not mistaken is the HCG level tells you how far along you could be pregnant. I know that is why they would order them to see how far along a woman was when I worked in the lab. I did google it and came up with the following...I am pasting it below

What is the beta HCG test for pregnancy ?

HCG can be measured in the blood by RIA (radioimmunoassay) or ELISA (enzyme immunoassay) testing; and positive levels (more than 10 mIU/ml) in the blood can be detected as early as 2 days before the period is missed. In the old days, the only way of determining the presence of HCG was by testing the urine, i. e, by using urine pregnancy test kits. Modern urine pregnancy kits (using monoclonal antibody technology ) are now quite sensitive and can detect a pregnancy as early as 1 to 2 days after missing a period (at a blood HCG level of about 50 to 100 mIU/ml). The benefit of urine pregnancy test kits is that they are less expensive; and testing can be done at home by the patient herself. However, instructions need to be followed carefully, and errors in interpreting the test results are not uncommon. These errors could occur if the urine is too dilute; or if the test is not done properly; or if there is a urinary tract infection exists.

BTW I understand your struggles, my husband had high dose chemo so it is making it harder for us to get pregnant too. I have been checked out, I actually donated my eggs twice to 2 different couples, but my husbands sperm counts were low...so I know what you are going through. Even though it was not for me I did have to go through the IVF procedures, the shots and hormones and the procedure. Don't give up :) I'll keep you in my thoughts.

amybeth Enthusiast

Well, as it turns out - no luck this time....levels are lower today....

But at least we know now that the possibility exists...Over the past 14 months, we had really started to lose hope that it was even possible.

Thank you both for your input and support! =)

I think we're taking a break for a little while, while I (the dutiful teacher) get school underway again, but we'll be back to it and trying again, soon.

Thanks again!

Beth in NC Contributor
Well, as it turns out - no luck this time....levels are lower today....

But at least we know now that the possibility exists...Over the past 14 months, we had really started to lose hope that it was even possible.

Thank you both for your input and support! =)

I think we're taking a break for a little while, while I (the dutiful teacher) get school underway again, but we'll be back to it and trying again, soon.

Thanks again!

I'm so sorry, Amy.

slmprofesseur Apprentice

Hi Amy, sorry to hear.

Good luck on the school year. Don't get too bored with the stupid inservices...

Sabrina

• 2 months later...
corasmomma Newbie

I am sorry for your loss Amy :( *Hugs*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

April in KC Apprentice

Amy,

I'm so sorry for your loss... I'm glad you can see a little silver lining in the possibility of getting pg again.

I had multiple miscarriages along the road to having my three boys.

My first pregnancy resulted in a very early loss. Right after that, I became pregant with what would turn out to be my first son. I didn't discover it until I was 7 weeks, and even then they said I might lose him because my HCG was too low for his age. As a "bean," he was smaller than they expected on ultrasound, and then later he caught up. I always felt like I barely held onto him..I was always crampy and threatening to start any time until well into the 2nd trimester.

After he was born, I had additional miscarriages and had some testing done. I had mild positive antiphospholipid antibodies, a culprit in causing "sticky blood" and early miscarriages due to blood clots blocking the placental blood supply. The trick to pregnancy with sticky blood is to thin the blood prior to conception and keep it thin during pregnancy. In my case, a daily baby aspirin was all it took to thin my blood enough to achieve successful pregnancies after that. Some docs recommend daily baby aspirin (81 mg) for any patients having trouble conceiving, so it's something to check into. If you're going to do it, start taking the aspirin before you ever ovulate...don't wait until ovulation.

At any rate, I'm not a doctor and you should ask your own...but I feel for you and wanted to pass along what helped me. I'm sure it would have helped to be on a gluten-free diet at the time...when I was pregnant I had extreme protein cravings and carb aversions.

Wishing you good luck and blessings...

April

• 2 weeks later...
ligeia Apprentice

Just wanted to say that some women just don't have high levels. With both my pregnancies, I didn't even have enough hormone to detect on tests. I would come up negative on home pregnancy tests and blood tests. Both of my babies were perfectly normal and healthy.

Sorry, I just noticed your second post. Wish you the best of luck w/ future pregnancies.

Archived