This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Irregular Menstrual Cycles

MissDigital

MissDigital Newbie

I am having a strange problem at the moment and am suspecting that my celiac disease is to blame...

So was diagnosed with celiac a little over a year ago. I try to live a gluten free life but I live in Berlin, Germany and sometimes suspect that I am glutened from time to time when I eat out because of the language barrier as well as people here being very clueless about celiac and just not really caring about it when you tell them. Therefor I try to cook for myself as often as possible.

But recently I have been having irregular menstrual cycles. I am typically a 35 day cycle gal. I am so predictable I can tell almost to the day when I will get my period. I have a new b/f who lives quite far (5 hours) so we only see each other once a month. After the last couple of visits with him (read: after having sex) I get my period. This started last month and I thought it was odd because it was about a week and half early. And it only lasted 3 days (now I am quite athletic and so I thought perhaps the length of my period had to do with the amount of activity I do). Then lo and behold a week and a half later, right on schedule, I get my real period. This freaked me out because we had had unprotected sex. First thing I thought was 'd'oh, I contracted an STD'. So I took myself to the gyno and got checked out, called for the test results and was told everything came back normal.

So at the beginning of this month had a visit from my boyfriend again and again got my period a week early and for approximately the same amount of time. Thought it was my normal period though as I miscounted the days on the calendar and thought nothing of it. Then today, guess who shows up but my little friend, menstruation. :o Freaked out, I called my gyno's office again and this time spoke directly to my doctor who speaks perfect English so that I could reconfirm my test results came back normal. She reconfirmed this and made an appointment for me to come in and talk about hormone treatment.

I am 29 years old. WTF?! I am not supposed to need hormone treatment at this age. I am suspecting celiac to be the cause of this issue because now I've read all these articles that link it to reproductive problems. Plus it has already caused me other problems such as anemia and hypothyroid.

Has anybody else had weird menstruation problems linked with celiac that are similar to this? Any insights would be much appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Well, I personally wouldn't skip straight to hormone therapy. It's probably something physical, I'd get a full chekup & a pap smear.

ShayFL Enthusiast

My menstrual cycle got longer after going gluten-free. So, yes, it can do things to your hormones. BUT being with a man who has strong pheromones can stimulate you to ovulate (even when it isnt mid cycle or 14 days before your period). You could even ovulate twice. It is powerful stuff in men's sweat. :P There has been some research on it.......

I found it!!

Open Original Shared Link

I wouldnt be having unprotected sex if I were you unless you dont mind getting pregnant. It happened to me. I ovulated 7 days before my period instead of 14 when I was in the hot and heavy stage with my hubby (early in our relationship). A whole lot of sweat going on. We were being risky, but I thought I was safe because I kept track. We got pregnant. I couldnt carry the baby. It was a very horrifying situation for me.

Dont let this happen to you.

MissDigital Newbie
Well, I personally wouldn't skip straight to hormone therapy. It's probably something physical, I'd get a full chekup & a pap smear.

That's what I am thinking too.. had the pap smear check. Apparently all is normal there. I just don't want to go on some crazy hormone therapy if not necessary!

MissDigital Newbie
My menstrual cycle got longer after going gluten-free. So, yes, it can do things to your hormones. BUT being with a man who has strong pheromones can stimulate you to ovulate (even when it isnt mid cycle or 14 days before your period). You could even ovulate twice. It is powerful stuff in men's sweat. :P There has been some research on it.......

I found it!!

Open Original Shared Link

I wouldnt be having unprotected sex if I were you unless you dont mind getting pregnant. It happened to me. I ovulated 7 days before my period instead of 14 when I was in the hot and heavy stage with my hubby (early in our relationship). A whole lot of sweat going on. We were being risky, but I thought I was safe because I kept track. We got pregnant. I couldnt carry the baby. It was a very horrifying situation for me.

Dont let this happen to you.

Yikes! That is crazy. I thought this guy was making me unbalanced (in more ways than one). Thanks for the link to the article. And you are right about the unprotected sex .. need to think a bit more with my head when I'm around my guy :rolleyes:

MELINE Enthusiast

Hi there

I am 30 years old, and for the last 16 years I had my period every 27 days exactly and I had never felt any pain. The first month of my gluten-free diet, this changed and till june I had my period every 15-20 days and I had to take pills for the pain. I asked my doctor and he said this would go away when my body would be healthy again - when everything is balanced.So june was the month when I stopped eating food like a maniac, I finally put on some weight and my breath and my body stopped smelling (because of malabsorption - please believe me I shower 2 a day-) and was also the month when my period came back normal. But....September I had a serious glutening, and I had inbalance again (period came in 16 days). So yes this is (or at least this can be) because of celiac.

As for the duration of your period, it is normal as we grow older to have less blood for fewer days. My period lasts only 1 and a half day (used to last 5 days, then 3 days and now 1 and a half-hope this won't become 0...). I asked my doctor if this is normal, so we did all the tests we had to do, everthing was ok and he told me there is no need to worry that's just my body and it is working that way.

Of course you should keep visiting your doc and having tests for thyroid and hormones, but keep in mind that celiac is affecting our period, there are more posts if you search and women often have the problem you are describing (And the problem of not thinking clearly when they are around their guy - count me too......) :wub::rolleyes:

River Faerie Apprentice

Hey Gals,

I too, was wondering about this. My issue is the other way around. I did not start my period until I was almost 16. Once I started, it never came regularly. In fact, I did not have my period but 3 or four times a year. I went to the Dr. when I was about 25, due to crazy pelvic pain. (Looking back, I think this was my first misdiagnosed Celiac moment...) I had an ultrasound, and lo and behold, nothing to report. When I was about 30, I had a miscarriage. At 31 I became pregnant again, and the baby made it, although I had a few pregnancy problems. Since then I have had two more babies in a short amount of time. I breastfed and stayed pregnant for about five years straight. Now, I am 36. My period has returned and for the first time in my life, it is as regualr as can be. Wild! I wonder if it is because of the pregnancies back to back, or the fact that I have finally been diagnosed Celiac, and have cut out the gluten? Has anyone else experienced regualrity of periods in the absence of gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular
Hey Gals,

I too, was wondering about this. My issue is the other way around. I did not start my period until I was almost 16. Once I started, it never came regularly. In fact, I did not have my period but 3 or four times a year. I went to the Dr. when I was about 25, due to crazy pelvic pain. (Looking back, I think this was my first misdiagnosed Celiac moment...) I had an ultrasound, and lo and behold, nothing to report. When I was about 30, I had a miscarriage. At 31 I became pregnant again, and the baby made it, although I had a few pregnancy problems. Since then I have had two more babies in a short amount of time. I breastfed and stayed pregnant for about five years straight. Now, I am 36. My period has returned and for the first time in my life, it is as regualr as can be. Wild! I wonder if it is because of the pregnancies back to back, or the fact that I have finally been diagnosed Celiac, and have cut out the gluten? Has anyone else experienced regualrity of periods in the absence of gluten?

My 17 yr old (not tested) has periods about 3 or 4 per year (started at age 14 or 15) and her grandma was the same way. Grandma had 4 kids in 5 1/2 yrs. She never knew when she was pregnant. Three of them were all born in April...1 yr apart. She had several miscarriages. She is not a Celiac but should be tested at least for wheat/gluten. She has allergies and asthma and extreme back pain. My 19 yr old is allergic to gluten.

majicbunnies Contributor

I started my period at a young age, but it's hard to tell because I only had a few every year for about three years. Then they were 3-6/year, and now.. I'm 19 now, and my last period was in June. It's september now, and I haven't started yet. Most of my friends are guys, and I only seem to get my period when I hang out around a girl for about a week, or sooner if she's on her period when we hang out, hahaha. I think my periods are affected by a combo of the Celiac and people giving off hormones. hmm..

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Anemia and thyroid problems can both cause menstrual irregularities. If I read your post correctly you said you have, or had, problems with both? Do you know if you doctor checked your iron and thyroid?

CaraLouise Explorer

My period stopped about 4-5 years ago and I am only 23 now. I started when I was around 12, never regular though. The doctors all say that it is hypothalamic dysfunction, something that my brain turned off. Gluten free has not made mine any better though and I take hormone replacement therapy.

one more mile Contributor

Mine is odd, started in 6 grade now I am 45. It has never been regular. Generally starts around day 34 or 30 or 37 or when ever it feels like it. I have a grandma with 7 kids that says that she ovulates when a good looking man walks by. I have had some lovers that have started my period. One man I hung with a little to long because if i was cramping an hour with him would always start my period. Women in my family are like that. Our periods are tied to men. When I got divorced and did not have sex for a year I had no period for 9 months. A week after I got a guy, it started. Can you talk to other woman in your family to see what their experiences are. I have also been told that I was premenstrual since I was in my 20's. My mother though is 65 and still has her period. but oddly she did go though those crazy years what we thought were menopause.

I had a doctor tell me that normal is what is normal to me.

Last year when I was eating gluten I was going though two weeks of cramps, and extreme tiredness. after about 2 months gluten free I am still irregular but things are so much better. but I do need iron pills when I get my period to keep me awake. But I am not anemic. Go figure that one out. Please. Then tell me.

Personally I would not be worried. A little male sweat and a little stimulation and your body is just trying to do what it was built for, making babies. I suggest you never try the rhythm method of birth control.

One more mile

• 1 year later...
Coolclimates Collaborator

usually my period is pretty regular, although I've noticed in the last few years that they tend to be closer together or farther apart more often than I used to. Especially periods close together. So annoying! My last period started on July 3 and I'm already having spotting, cramping, sore breasts and PMS again! I've been on the gluten-free diet for 2 1/2 months but also just came back from a pretty action-packed vacation overseas (in Iceland, Finland and Estonia) so my body might also be kind of screwed up with that. Additionally, I just got diagnosed with a UTI, which I almost never get. I've been peeing excessively at night and keep waking up. Fortunately that has gotten better (the frequency).

sickchick Community Regular

I am having the same problems as Meline. Very painful I literally feel like I want to vomit my pain is so bad, and my period (last month I was 2 weeks early) Since going Gluten Free I cannot predict when it will come HAAHA :)

It does keep coming early... B)

Good luck!! :)

lovelove

sickchick

Coolclimates Collaborator

I am having the same problems as Meline. Very painful I literally feel like I want to vomit my pain is so bad, and my period (last month I was 2 weeks early) Since going Gluten Free I cannot predict when it will come HAAHA :)

It does keep coming early... B)

Good luck!! :)

lovelove

sickchick

I, too, get very bad cramps. Certain months are worse than others. Sometimes I get dirrehea or an upset stomach if the cramps are really bad. At times I've felt slightly nauseous but nothing serious. I have noticed my cycles gradually changing through the years. I now notice that I bleed more on the first 2 days and a lot less during the following days. Usually I'm done by day 5. Whereas as before, the bleeding was a little more evenly dispursed and lasted slightly longer.

I'm having all kinds of indications that my period will be coming soon. Although it has been only 3 weeks since my last one started. In some ways, I find PMS and being premenstrual worse than actually getting the period. Once I get my period, I know it will all end in a few days.

firefightersgal Apprentice

I have been dealing with long, anovulitory cycles for almost two years. I became pregnant almost a year ago, but lost the baby at 9 weeks. I had no problem getting pregnant with my daughter over 4 years ago, so my secondary infertility has been extremely frustrating. I had my hormone levels drawn, and they were all normal. I still am not ovulating on my own without Clomid's assistance...and I have yet to get pregnant again.

I read time and time again in the last few days that, left untreated, Celiac Disease leads to infertility in both females and males, and repeated miscarriage.

I'm hoping and praying that going gluten free solves my infertility. (Along with my other health issues that seem to be Celiac-related).

Archived