This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fatigue & Exhaustion

genuis boy

genuis boy Newbie

I struggle with fatigue and exhaustion a lot. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I really don't sleep well either.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Have you had your Thyroid tested? Iron and Ferritin? B12?

Are you Celiac or Gluten Intolerant? If so are you 100% gluten free?

Please tell us more about yourself so we can help you.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

A lot of us have had to struggle with this. How long have you been gluten-free? Are you still consuming dairy? What have you already tried to help with this issue?

For some a sublingual B12 can be very helpful for energy. Try to eat as cleanly and as much naturally gluten free food as you can. Try to keep to a routine for sleeping, go to bed and get up at the same time every day. A warm bath or shower with a lavender scented soap can help as can a eye pillow filled with lavender. Try not to have anything with a lot of sugar of caffine after 12pm noon and try to get some excercise on a regular basis. Before bed try to get a routine down so your body and mind knows it is time to sleep. Do something quiet and relaxing whether it is reading a book or listening to some soft music or watching a nonstimulating TV program.

Welcome to the board and I hope you get some relief soon.

genuis boy Newbie

I am celiac for 7 yrs. I probably am casein intolerant rather than lactose, that has gone on for 30 yrs. Yes I do cheat and consume some diary, mostly yogurt and mozzarella cheese. I was thinking of doing the CBC blood test, so I guess I will try to do thyroid and b12 later depending on cost. I am currently on an antidepressant. I am also a full time student so my hours tend to vary. I will try the lavender before bed as I have gotten interested in aromatherapy. I only have begone to consume a bottle of tea at about 1030 in the morning or at noon with lunch. Before that I never consumed caffeine after becoming celiac. I just tried some b-12 before I went to bed last night and I felt like I actually got some sleep when I got up. I have done b12 in the morning along with zinc and calcium 3 times a day. Thanks very much for your help and support.

aikiducky Apprentice

If you suspect you're casein intolerant, you should try cutting out all dairy products for a while. I know it's a pain, but that might well be keeping you feeling tired, I know if I would have dairy even just now and then I wouldn't be getting out of bed. It can also make you slightly depressed.

Pauliina

happygirl Collaborator

Discuss with your doctor

Open Original Shared Link

Dig Liver Dis. 2007 Oct;39(10):922-8. Epub 2007 Aug 10. Links

L-Carnitine in the treatment of fatigue in adult celiac disease patients: a pilot study.Ciacci C, Peluso G, Iannoni E, Siniscalchi M, Iovino P, Rispo A, Tortora R, Bucci C, Zingone F, Margarucci S, Calvani M.

Gastrointestinal Unit, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University Federico II, Naples, Italy. ciacci@unina.it

BACKGROUND: Fatigue is common in celiac disease. L-Carnitine blood levels are low in untreated celiac disease. L-Carnitine therapy was shown to improve muscular fatigue in several diseases. AIM: To evaluate the effect of L-carnitine treatment in fatigue in adult celiac patients. METHODS: Randomised double-blind versus placebo parallel study. Thirty celiac disease patients received 2 g daily, 180 days (L-carnitine group) and 30 were assigned to the placebo group (P group). The patients underwent clinical investigation and questionnaires (Scott-Huskisson Visual Analogue Scale for Asthenia, Verbal Scale for Asthenia, Zung Depression Scale, SF-36 Health Status Survey, EuroQoL). OCTN2 levels, the specific carnitine transporter, were detected in intestinal tissue. RESULTS: Fatigue measured by Scott-Huskisson Visual Analogue Scale for Asthenia was significantly reduced in the L-carnitine group compared with the placebo group (p=0.0021). OCTN2 was decreased in celiac patients when compared to normal subjects (-134.67% in jejunum), and increased after diet in both celiac disease treatments. The other scales used did not show any significant difference between the two celiac disease treatment groups. CONCLUSION: L-Carnitine therapy is safe and effective in ameliorating fatigue in celiac disease. Since L-carnitine is involved in muscle energy production its decreased absorption due to OCTN2 reduction might explain muscular symptoms in celiac disease patients. The diet-induced OCTN2 increase, improving carnitine absorption, might explain the L-carnitine treatment efficacy.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Just get your thyroid checked before trying L-Carnitine. It can worsen a hypothyroid condition. Google it. Learn before you try.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

genuis boy Newbie

Sorry I haven't got back to anyone, I have been studying for 5 tests this week. I was taking b12 3 times a day and that seemed to wind me up, so I am doing two a day now. That does seem to help. I did try L-Carnitine a couple of months ago, but that didn't seem to do anything. I think that the best place to start is with some blood work. They place by me has a fatigue panel, but I think I will try a CBC first. I'll hav eto get brave and eliminate dairy for a while and see what happens. :(

Archived