This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Having Sores That Show Up

Lauriann

Lauriann Rookie

Hi..

First I want to apologize if my last topic insulted anyone, that was not my intention at all. Was diagnosed with Celiac and I feel that doctors leave you to figure it out all on your own. I was diagnosed and then told I didnt have and told I did have it. Then that was it, no explanation of symptoms or what to expect.

My concern is, I have been getting sores in my ears...I would say my skin has become very sensitve I think to shampoos and my conditioners..they scab up and take a long time to heal. Also, I know that getting canker sores in ones mouth is one of the symptoms... but I get ... I would call them cold sores of the nose. I get these once a month...they look awful I spoke to my doctor about it..he wrote it down and said nothing in response to this...

Does anyone else have any of these things going on..or something close to it and maybe some advise.

thanks...Lauri :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1grnthmb Newbie

I have similar problems with shampoos. I have to check to make sure they are free of gluten contain products. Oats are very common in shampoos and conditioners and wheat is also often used. I get a burning itch and sores and scabs that burn even more when I wash my hair. I seem to get it to clear up but after a while it comes back. I have found that it is best (for me) to alternate shampoos. Using a medicated shampoo for dandruff and then a daily clearifyer. I also have found that I am allergic to other items in shampoos. Nettle is one that I have to avoid is it is very common also. Currently I am rotating Equate Cooling Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner and Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. That seems to be working right now.

I really think I have the Dermatitis condition that goes along with gluten. But the doctors just call it eczema. You would think they would put it together. Especially since it does break out with contact to gluten. The worst areas I get it right now is the back of my years. Even with the shampoos I am using I still have to apply cortisone to that area frequently to sooth the burning. It is not so bad now as it was before I found these two shampoos that seem to work together.

I am curious. Do you have a real bad itch inside your ears also? It is driving me nuts and thedoctors can not find anything wrong there.

Mark

April in KC Apprentice

lauri, wish i knew the answers...i get what seems to be eczema or dandruff in my ear folds...it's very scaly and drives me crazy. it seems to come and go.

I also get a dreaded nasal sore that shows up periodically. I've had it maybe three times all year. A little ointment helps it go away faster.

I don't know if it's Celiac related or perhaps some other autoimmune thing. I know nasal sores can go with Lupus, but I don't believe I have that.

Mouth sores are part of my typical symptoms of being glutened...I grew up with them and still get them mildly when I get glutened. The fact that I can get the ear eczema and nasal sores in the absence of other glutening symptoms makes me think they're not the result of being glutened.

Do check your diet and shampoos carefully, though.

I do well with a strong dandruff shampoo...I try to get a bit in my ears and then rinse it. I do use regular shampoo sometimes, but I have to use dandruff shampoo a few times a week for control.

frec Contributor

I don't have those symptoms, but I have had acne for 40 years and I get big chin ulcers and have scarring. I also break out when exposed to the sun. I've noticed that my skin has improved over the six years since I was diagnosed, and especially since I finally tracked down my other food intolerance problems. Your liver processes toxins, and if you are celiac you get hit with toxins every time you get glutened. Your liver can get stressed. Your skin is also an organ that deals with toxins and it gets stressed as well. Perhaps you have other allergies? Or perhaps you were recently diagnosed and are still healing?

1grnthmb Newbie

April,

Your symptoms sound just like mine. The mouth sores and nasal sores went away after I went gluten free and other then one time in the last fifteen years I have been free of them. As far as the eczema behind the ears I have never been able to get rid of it completely. I have had allergy tests and I am allergic to so much it makes it hard to find products that do not bother me. I have also found out that fabric softeners are really bad. My daughter also has reactions to it. Her doctor said that he sees about three cases a week that are rashes caused by fabric softeners. The only one that I have been able to use and not get a rash is manufactured by Lame Advertisement.

Mark

ang1e0251 Contributor

I have been getting sores on my scalp for years. I assumed I was sensitive to shampoos , I guess I was, & I would switch around to different brands every bottle. The symptoms always came back. Finally I stopped using shampoo completely. I had fewer outbreaks but really had success when I went gluten-free a year ago. This week I had a new breakout. Surprise! Gluten reaction!

My routine is this, first I "wash" my hair with a light weight gluten-free conditioner, then rinse. I sprinkle my scalp with apple cider vinegar and let that soak while I perform other necesities, then rinse. Then I finsh with a heavier gluten-free conditioner ( I have very thick hair that will be a bird's nest w/out help!) and rinse after massaging apple cider vinegar on my skin, makes it soft.

Now I have had the itchy internal ear problem. After I dry my ear with a swab, I take another swab & put a bit of castor oil on it and swab again. No more bug in my ear sensation! My GH is prone to ear aches & infections when he referrees outdoors but since he started using oil in his ears, no more.

I hope something here is helpful to you. I don't have your exact problems but who knows?

Mtndog Collaborator

The only place I have had sores was the ear- they were maddening- itchy painful and horrid. They usually precipitated an ear infection. After going gluten-free three years ago, they went away completely over time.

I had a flare about two weeks ago (and it was after I had gotten glutened).

Hope you find some answers and relief!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Josh Parker Newbie

I have those symptoms too. I am also allergic to MSG and dairy products. Avoid caramel colorings unless you know that they are made in the US. Pepsi products are gluten free according to a newsletter. Other cokes and deserts may contain wheat in their caramel coloring if the caramel coloring is made outside of the US. Caramel coloring is made from carbohydrates. Some companies make caramel coloring from beets. Do some research of the specific product before you consume.

Soy sauce contains wheat. Alcoholic beverages use yeast in the fermentation process. I don't go near them personally. Yeast comes from wheat and it is used to break down sugars during fermentation. Check to see if you are also allergic to milk or MSG. Many celiac patients are also allergic to those things and don't even know it. There are lactase pills over the counter which may help break down the lactose if you consume small amounts of dairy. I do and I am safe. A small Frosty here and there with a lactase pill is fine. A large Frosty three days a week would be a living hell. Normal stomachs produce lactase which aid in the breakdown of lactose, but my stomach does not produce the enzyme. The enzyme pills are only $10 for 30 days worth. You only need to take them if you consume dairy. Take them at the same time you consume the dairy product. You don't have to take them on a daily basis.

Josh Parker Newbie
lauri, wish i knew the answers...i get what seems to be eczema or dandruff in my ear folds...it's very scaly and drives me crazy. it seems to come and go.

I also get a dreaded nasal sore that shows up periodically. I've had it maybe three times all year. A little ointment helps it go away faster.

I don't know if it's Celiac related or perhaps some other autoimmune thing. I know nasal sores can go with Lupus, but I don't believe I have that.

Mouth sores are part of my typical symptoms of being glutened...I grew up with them and still get them mildly when I get glutened. The fact that I can get the ear eczema and nasal sores in the absence of other glutening symptoms makes me think they're not the result of being glutened.

Do check your diet and shampoos carefully, though.

I do well with a strong dandruff shampoo...I try to get a bit in my ears and then rinse it. I do use regular shampoo sometimes, but I have to use dandruff shampoo a few times a week for control.

Check to see if the shampoos or soaps have wheat germ oil. That will cause skin problems for celiac folks like us.

• 4 years later...
celiac-father Newbie

Sores or skin problems in the ears for individuals with Celiac Disease. I have Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I am Celiac and so are my two sons and my siblings. My elbows are scarred from years of being undiagnosed and although they get smooth and look close to normal everything is set back after accidently consuming gluten. Now for the interesting part, my ears and scalp are affected same as my elbows. You can't see the scalp issue under the hair but it is maddening. I too used dandruff shampoos to no avail, nothing worked until I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. However, like I said if I accidently consume gluten it is no holds barred itching and pain. If you continue to have issues with your ears or scalp it is a good bet that you are consuming gluten from something that you consider safe.

kareng Grand Master

Sores or skin problems in the ears for individuals with Celiac Disease. I have Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I am Celiac and so are my two sons and my siblings. My elbows are scarred from years of being undiagnosed and although they get smooth and look close to normal everything is set back after accidently consuming gluten. Now for the interesting part, my ears and scalp are affected same as my elbows. You can't see the scalp issue under the hair but it is maddening. I too used dandruff shampoos to no avail, nothing worked until I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. However, like I said if I accidently consume gluten it is no holds barred itching and pain. If you continue to have issues with your ears or scalp it is a good bet that you are consuming gluten from something that you consider safe.

Just an FYI - This thread is 4 years old. I don't thing any of those posters have been active on the board in several years.

Archived