This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Employment Issues, Celiacs And The Ada, Any Ideas

Smiling-Eyes

Smiling-Eyes Newbie

Start the comments rolling! I can not be the first Celiac to simultaneously battle regaining my health, and trying to stay productive at work and not get fired. I have succedded in one and fear for my job on the other.

I am tired of being treated like the abused wife that is expected to apologize for the last beating I got since it's all my fault, if only I'd not done this or had done that. I will expand on the subject and my experience, as this thread fills into a tapestery.

The most important thing is a compasionate and understanding employer, without that - what can you do, who can assist, how do you locate legal counsel that isn't just after your savings or the billion dollar lawsuit.

I don't want money, I want awareness, it's difficult enough dealing with the predominant ignorance in the medical community, but to go to work and feel like "If only I had a heart attack or cancer, they'd understand!"

Parents invoke the ADA to force schools to not poison their kids, mine are grown and one is gluten free with me. How does and can the ADA apply to Celiac adults?

Let's weave a tapestry of knowledge that all Celiacs and Employers can benefit from!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa16 Collaborator

I wonder about this very thing vis a vis "meal" meetings. For example, sometimes we will have a candidate in and want to do part of the interview over breakfast, get to know them over lunch and then there are the dreaded dinner meetings. These always take place in restaurants.

I have only been gluten-free for about a year now, but I have had to cancel out of a dinner meeting and avoid a reitree "party" because they were at, what I like to term, "flying flour venues" where even being in the environment is not safe for me-- regardless of whether I eat or not. I am pretty confident they cannot make me attend these meetings or "punish" me for not going. The worst is when your friends and colleagues know about the celiac disease but do this anyway because it is so deeply ingrained in our culture here. I tell them why I am cancelling. In my case, they recheduled the meeting for a gluten-free format but the retiree was hurt. I don't even like it when a colleague brings their gluten lunch into my office to eat over the noon hour.

I am sure that if you substitute "celiac disease" for a religon with dietary restrictions like islam, jainism or judaism you could in theory get in very big trouble for scheduling a mandatory meal meeting in place that was not kosher or hallal or strictly vegan (and even then served plants that were killed in the harvesting) or for having a company "pig roast" during ramadan. Rightly so. It is insensitive, offensive, churlish, uneducated and I can think of lots worse things to say about it too. And in fact, because somebody's health is at risk with celiac disease it might even be worse than a breaking a religious stricture. I don't understand why we feel the need to mix food and business. When you cross that line, you are open to all sorts of problems.

I also wonder about things like bringing in a halloween cake to the office, putting slices on paper plates for people to take and putting these in the mailroom where I set my things or rest my hand. Or the inevitable doughnuts. Or even the after work invitation for a round of drinks. I don't like it when people are eating a bagel and then hand me a piece of paper with the same hand they just used for the bagel. Sometimes you have to shake off the crumbs. That is not nice. We need gluten sensitivity training!

I am betting we are covered by the ADA and I am betting we cannot be forced into such situations. I would love to hear what other people have fournd or experienced with this.

Lisa

Lisa16 Collaborator

We are covered by the ADA in the US. Here are some links:

Open Original Shared Link

Employers must make reasonable accomodations for us. I bet we could ask for things like a gluten-free microwave or even gluten-free public spaces. Not to mention bathroom access and special considerations (even hand soap, if i understand it correctly,) etc.

finally diagnosed Apprentice

Employers must make reasonable accomodations for us. I bet we could ask for things like a gluten-free microwave or even gluten-free public spaces. Not to mention bathroom access and special considerations (even hand soap, if i understand it correctly,) etc.

I am sorry if I am not understanding this correctly. I have had Celiac for 3 plus years now and I went on the link, I don't see anything about Celiac Disease. There is something there about immune disease. I am sorry for people if they are having a hard time at work regarding lunches, people touching their food etc. Gluten needs to be ingested for it to affect us. If you notice someone didn't wash a lunch counter or use a microwave without cleaning the spill, then either don't use it or bring a hot lunch in a thermos. I work for a hospital and we have meetings and they bring in food, I just always make sure I have something that I will bring in myself. Most of they food they bring in is loaded with fat anyway. You can always say no thank you I have my own lunch and eat it with them. If they are having a luncheon that I am aware of, I usually just have salad and bring something of my own. If there is a meeting in a restaurant or if I go out with friends I look at the menu ahead of time and if I have enough time I call the restaurant when they aren't busy to see if they can accomodate me.

I don't want to be the one in the office constantly complaining. We don't have a peanut allergy , we will not go into anaphylatic shock from touching a piece of paper that someone else has touched. Just think how many times we touch money, how many hands have touched it, who knows how many people have eaten a sandwich or slice of pizza while touching that money. We always wash our hands after we touch money and wash our hands before we eat.

I am sorry if this seems insensitive, but my mother is 68 in a wheelchair since she was 59 due to a stroke and a few other problems,(none celiac related) she gets up every day and never complains. The only thing she complains about is not being able to go back to work. I live in a state where they just cut jobs from the blind. How do you think these people feel, bad enough they get themselves to work via a bus or seeing eye dog, now they don't have a job on top of a disability. I bet most of them will go on and find another one, they make due every day of their lives and I hardly ever hear anyone of them saying "why can't I , Why won't they"

I find it alot easier to ask for stuff from an employer when we are not upset. Sure it makes me really angry sometimes when I can't participate with stuff, but it is not their fault we have this disease and we need to be accomodating as well. The more you tell people about it, or when they ask, they will learn about it. Not everyone knows what Celiac disease is. We have a certain company that would bring us coffee and muffins once a week and the salesman noticed I never took a muffin and asked why and I explained, believe it or not his wife has Celiac and he never looked at it from that view. Now when they come, they also bring fresh cut fruit with their coffee and muffins.

Please don't get me wrong I am not minimalizing Celiac. I too have many health issues relating to this dreaded stinky disease. Sadly the word is just learning about Celiac within the last couple of years and they are learning everyday.

If you look on websites at restaurants you will see 8 out of 10 of them have gluten free menus, of if you call and speak with the chef or manager, they either will have heard about it and can accomodate you or you can teach them about it and they will learn too. Things don't happen overnight, this is not Television where a diagnosis is given between commercials and people are cured. This is real life and the "ignorant" people that we all talk about, even me are still learing about it. Just think if we didn't have it, how many times would we have heard the word celiac or looked for the words wheart, rye, barly, gluten etc. from our shampoo to our canned soups.

There are alot of things we can't change and some we can, but the world they way it is right now with a recession and a war going on, people loosing their houses left and right, sometimes our big complaints seem trivial. I catch myself now before I complain about something because for one. I have shelter, I have food, I have a job and there are alot of families right now who don't have either.

Good luck.

Lisa16 Collaborator

Bless your heart, Finally Diagnosed.

You must be pretty stressed out.

Of course the relevant section is to be found under ammendments. That I know, the ADA does not have a comprehensive list of disabilities, but celiac certainly falls uder that part that reads (and I have pasted this):

major bodily functions (e.g., "functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, digestive, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine, and reproductive functions")

Some people may not like to think celiac disease is a disability, but I think we should embrace it as such so that little kids can get safe lunches at school and people who have trouble at work, like smiling eyes, can have some protections and so that people may get SS benefits when it gets so bad they cannot work.

As for the rest, your points are well taken. Things could always be worse.

However, your response runs the danger of being interpreted as trivializing the disease and the experience of the disease for somebody like smiling eyes who is obviously very upset about her job and looking for support and information. In fact, she may feel like she has been kicked in the teeth, even if you were talking to me instead. She came here, a very appropriate place, to vent.

If you are not careful, somebody may interpret your response as saying something along the lines of "well... do not complain that all you have to eat is bread, because at least you have something to eat." I am absolutely certain you did not mean to say that. A nurse would never say something like that.

I personally enjoyed the peanut allergy non-analogy very much too. But this disease does kill.

The ADA exists for a good reason and celiac disease is a very real disability.

I wish you compassion and understanding in both your life and your work.

Peace.

Take care.

debmidge Rising Star
I wonder about this very thing vis a vis "meal" meetings. For example, sometimes we will have a candidate in and want to do part of the interview over breakfast, get to know them over lunch and then there are the dreaded dinner meetings. These always take place in restaurants.

I can understand....business functions, which are much different than "staff" meetings amongst co-workers only which would have a comradery, would look askance at someone "brown-bagging" it. In the business world there are certain protocols which require you to look "the part" and not be different, especially around customers or the stockholders. That would certainly make anyone self-conscious.

A food intolerance such as celiac would make you certainly stand out and appear "high maintenance." Absolutely - I understand and I agree with you that it's unfair. The "white linen" restaurants where these business luncheons/dinners take place do not allow "outside" food it (if they know about it).

The ADA requires employers to make "reasonable accomodations" - the added cost to re-arrange rooms/furnishings could be considered "unreasonable" and the employer would not be obliged to make any changes/accomodations. I guess the hard part of this is knowing when to push and what to push for.

I have only been gluten-free for about a year now, but I have had to cancel out of a dinner meeting and avoid a reitree "party" because they were at, what I like to term, "flying flour venues" where even being in the environment is not safe for me-- regardless of whether I eat or not. I am pretty confident they cannot make me attend these meetings or "punish" me for not going. The worst is when your friends and colleagues know about the celiac disease but do this anyway because it is so deeply ingrained in our culture here. I tell them why I am cancelling. In my case, they recheduled the meeting for a gluten-free format but the retiree was hurt. I don't even like it when a colleague brings their gluten lunch into my office to eat over the noon hour.

I am sure that if you substitute "celiac disease" for a religon with dietary restrictions like islam, jainism or judaism you could in theory get in very big trouble for scheduling a mandatory meal meeting in place that was not kosher or hallal or strictly vegan (and even then served plants that were killed in the harvesting) or for having a company "pig roast" during ramadan. Rightly so. It is insensitive, offensive, churlish, uneducated and I can think of lots worse things to say about it too. And in fact, because somebody's health is at risk with celiac disease it might even be worse than a breaking a religious stricture.

I have often thought of this as well.

I also wonder about things like bringing in a halloween cake to the office, putting slices on paper plates for people to take and putting these in the mailroom where I set my things or rest my hand. Or the inevitable doughnuts. Or even the after work invitation for a round of drinks. I don't like it when people are eating a bagel and then hand me a piece of paper with the same hand they just used for the bagel. Sometimes you have to shake off the crumbs. That is not nice. We need gluten sensitivity training!

I think of this in the "kitchen" at my office...or when I am using the fax machine or photocopier. I can just imagine the places one could pick up traces of gluten with people being "loose" with gluten.

I am betting we are covered by the ADA and I am betting we cannot be forced into such situations. I would love to hear what other people have fournd or experienced with this.

I think that the operating word as regards the ADA is the "reasonable" - I'd bet that some employers would find ways to consider it "unreasonable" to get an extra microwave or even install a sink. I get the general impression that it's "every man for himself."

finally diagnosed Apprentice
Bless your heart, Finally Diagnosed.

You must be pretty stressed out.

Of course the relevant section is to be found under ammendments. That I know, the ADA does not have a comprehensive list of disabilities, but celiac certainly falls uder that part that reads (and I have pasted this):

major bodily functions (e.g., "functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, digestive, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine, and reproductive functions")

Some people may not like to think celiac disease is a disability, but I think we should embrace it as such so that little kids can get safe lunches at school and people who have trouble at work, like smiling eyes, can have some protections and so that people may get SS benefits when it gets so bad they cannot work.

As for the rest, your points are well taken. Things could always be worse.

However, your response runs the danger of being interpreted as trivializing the disease and the experience of the disease for somebody like smiling eyes who is obviously very upset about her job and looking for support and information. In fact, she may feel like she has been kicked in the teeth, even if you were talking to me instead. She came here, a very appropriate place, to vent.

If you are not careful, somebody may interpret your response as saying something along the lines of "well... do not complain that all you have to eat is bread, because at least you have something to eat." I am absolutely certain you did not mean to say that. A nurse would never say something like that.

I personally enjoyed the peanut allergy non-analogy very much too. But this disease does kill.

The ADA exists for a good reason and celiac disease is a very real disability.

I wish you compassion and understanding in both your life and your work.

Peace.

Take care.

The last thing I am trying to do is trivialize anything regarding celiac disease. I really do feel for smiley eyes just as much as I feel for anyone else who has this. I understand this a place to vent and venting is what I did. I did mention that in my response many times. And when I respond to as the "person always complaining at work" that was me for the longest time and I figured out how to get around it, and it still isn't easy, but some things aren't.

My response for bringing your own lunch to a luncheon was for inhouse related stuff. As for going to white linen restaurants, I understand you have to play a part, and if your employer wants you to be there then maybe you can make a suggestion of another white linen place to go to that can accomadate you.

I am not kicking anyone in the teeth here as one might suggest, but it does say let the comments start and I was putting in a comment. I didn't realize my comment needed to match. I like this site for many reasons for the heads up for the foods to eat, restaurants etc, but when someone response looks derogatory everyone jumps.

Maybe someday there will be safer lunches in our schools, but I don't see it happening anytime fast, we still have school lunches that contain p'nuts and we only offer p'nut free tables at lunch for the kids who have allergies. Children adapt to most things and I think it is up to us a parents to teach them now, when they are young that we can't always do what everyone is doing, but we can have the same foods and go to the same places but with a little extra caution.

We can't use SS for everything, and I mean that by..... eventually we aren't going to have any SS, the way the government is playing with everyones, 401's, retirement plans being canceled, etc. Watch the news they say in about 20 years if things keep up the way they are going, we won't have anything to retire with because we will be broke, (and not due to celiac people using it or disabled person who use it) not by any of our faults except for the people in washington who control it all.

Basically if something isn't working for you, then fix it and if you can't then maybe you can try to get your company to change, and if the situation is so extreme that you are sick from eating in the same room than maybe that isn't the right company for you. Employers are aware of the ADA rules and sometimes you just have to sight them to the right people, say for instance your supervisor and the cc the note to their supervisor and whoever else needs to get it, it is amazing how quick people will jump for you. No employer wants to be sited from the ADA.

Don't forget I am a person with celiac disease as well, i am not a spouse or family member of someone who has it, I live with the same issues as everyone else. everyones problems are real and if you can't comment here on how you feel or how you view celiac or other issues than maybe this isn't the site for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Certainly none of us feel comfortable standing out from the crowd, "being the only one complaining", feeling like we are making a fuss about things. But sometimes we are not the only one in the crowd, just the one who feels compelled to do something about it. If we were all to keep quiet and try to hide the food we had to surreptitiously bring from home, and not mention celiac, then it would seem like we were the only one and nothing would ever change. Awareness does need to be created to help the many of us (more than most people realize--even some who don't recognize themselves) to make things better for everybody so we don't have to keep hiding.

This is the way it has always been when change has been effected; it is only if we are willing to speak up and point out how behaviours are making life so difficult for us that people become aware and change behaviours.

I certainly don't advocate always making a spectacle of oneself in asking for a change, but it can be done in such a manner as to help all those affected. And most of the time the accommodation is a very minor one to those who have to make the accommodation.

It is only when you have "food issues" that you come to realize how much of our social interaction is centered around food and how isolating it is to have to worry about it all the time and absent yourself from occasions you would rather attend.

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast
The most important thing is a compassionate and understanding employer.

I don't want money, I want awareness, it's difficult enough dealing with the predominant ignorance in the medical community, but to go to work and feel like "If only I had a heart attack or cancer, they'd understand!"

I've been thinking about this since you posted the question :blink:

Even with the ADA, it's really a complicated issue!

I'm blessed to be a faculty member at a large, public university. Small employers are not required to make a lot of accommodations because of the "unfair burden" clause. That being said... after giving birth in February I was given 18 weeks of fully-paid family leave. Enough to cover a whole semester. The FMLA requires all employers to provide 12 weeks of leave, but it doesn't have to paid. I feel sooo grateful for my situation and REALLY bad for women who can't afford the time off. Much longer leaves are very common in Europe... it's the best thing for the health of the mother and her child. But... it's not like my university is equally generous to all employees. Students (even graduate students who are in the prime of their childbearing years) can forget about any kind of paid leave. It depends on how much your employer wants to keep you happy.

In this particular way, my university has been very accommodating to me. However, I also have a boss who's a [insert expletive of your choice] and there's a lot of gender discrimination going on in my department. For example, my boss told me not to breastfeed in my office... even though I'm legally entitled to in Indiana. People higher up in administration know about it (because I told them), but unless I want to file a lawsuit there's not much they can do since my boss has tenure. At this point, I've decided to let it go... I can work from home most of the time. Pursuing a lawsuit would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

I guess it comes down to this... pick your battles. I don't eat pork (for religious reasons), but if my department wanted to have a pig roast I honestly wouldn't care. If people bring doughnuts, pizza, cake... I can always just escape to my office. Professors are allowed to be eccentric ;) But that's my situation... I've seen situations where staff members with depression, cancer, autoimmune disorders, etc... were hassled until they quit... because why are they gone all the time? They should be here working. Ugh. That's not the kind of attitude I want to have when I'm in charge. :angry: All employees are human beings.

A good employer... that really wants you and cares about you... makes a HUGE difference. If you have any kind of choice, I think it's important to look for a good situation instead of trying to improve a bad one. Yes, times are bad financially, but businesses still need talented, loyal, happy employees.

Lisa16 Collaborator

I am also a professor at a large public university and there is a lot to be said for having that kind of job. In fact, if I did not have a job where I could set my own schedule and spend the time I am not teaching at home, I would be in very big trouble indeed. You might say I even choose my job based on that freedom. And you can't beat having summers off.

My colleagues have been great, but there are still issues. I have not complained, outside of the meeting incidents. But perhaps gluten sensitivty training is not a bad idea.

Mushroom is correct in saying that we need to speak out if we want things to change and raise awareness.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I agree totally with you. I work in a small office, everything has it's place, and change is not welcome. I do the accounts payable, and my invoices sit right next to where the others all bring in their gluteny treats, and it is a tough thing to handle. I have worked there 4 yrs now, and I do not ask for special treatment, yet I do ask them to be careful. I have caught one of them sitting at my desk eating french bread, touching my calculator, using my phone, my pen...covering my desk with gluten...and it does make me angry. I would never cover her desk with rat poison. After 4 yrs of "gluten sensitivity training" they will still ask me if a cookie is ok, it doesn't have wheat, it's white flour! Some days are very stressful, and this time of the year, it gets worse. Patients are always bringing in gluten filled treats for the holidays, which is fine with me...the others just need to be more respectful of my needs.

I don't want to be the one in the office constantly complaining. We don't have a peanut allergy , we will not go into anaphylatic shock from touching a piece of paper that someone else has touched.

No, we do not have a peanut allergy and no, we do not go into anaphylatic shock...yet, speaking for myself, one glutening makes me sick for a month or more. I can't afford to be sick, I have to work, I am my sole source of income. I don't want to be the one constantly complaining either. My boss's wife has a dairy intolerance, and they all recognize it as real. I wish I was only intolerant of dairy.

I think we will see more and more reference to gluten intolerance, yet, unless a person lives it, either as the intolerant, or a family member, it will stay misunderstood. Unless we, as the intolerant teach others, and that starts in our daily lives.

debmidge Rising Star

I can't help going back to the problem of business luncheons and dinners - because many times the

employee does not have the freedom to choose where it'll take place. Most times big companies have

contracts with hotels for these functions. I guess the first place to unravel this is to find out where your

firm has these contracts and contact the hotel/restaurant directly as to their ability to provide a gluten free meal. Perhaps those who have this situation can post in here the list of the hotel/restaurants in those hotels, etc. which can be accomodating to celiac in these situations.

As to HR policies, I agree, they are applied inconsistently. Oftentimes a physical disability which you can "see" gets you more empathy from employers.

I have spoken to my employer about celiac disease - obviously not for myself but on behalf of others. We got on the topic by accident but I had literature for him to read and he actually thinks he might have it....but he's not been tested for it. He did have Lyme disease at the time so that obscured it and he must have celiac testing on the back burner. I'll have to follow up with him on this. I have to say however, my office does not have business functions at hotels/restaurants - but I am compelled to go to functions which my suppliers sponsor or go to a hotel for the day for continuing education credits. So I can understand the problem of a celiac getting involved in a business function which they have no control over the selection of hotel/restaurant.

I too have food intolerances, but they are not as serious and as debilitating as celiac disease. I have been at compan-related functions wherein I too could not consume the main course or appetizers either for these reasons. Again, not as debilitating as celiac disease. So instead of eating the main course, I fill up on the bread, or I pick at the plate and eat only a quarter of what is there so I won't get too bad of a belly ache later on - thinking maybe the bread will absorb it.....Again not as debilitating as celiac disease. But I do understand it and want to help as much as I can.

Maryellen Newbie
I am sorry if I am not understanding this correctly. I have had Celiac for 3 plus years now and I went on the link, I don't see anything about Celiac Disease. There is something there about immune disease. I am sorry for people if they are having a hard time at work regarding lunches, people touching their food etc. Gluten needs to be ingested for it to affect us. If you notice someone didn't wash a lunch counter or use a microwave without cleaning the spill, then either don't use it or bring a hot lunch in a thermos. I work for a hospital and we have meetings and they bring in food, I just always make sure I have something that I will bring in myself. Most of they food they bring in is loaded with fat anyway. You can always say no thank you I have my own lunch and eat it with them. If they are having a luncheon that I am aware of, I usually just have salad and bring something of my own. If there is a meeting in a restaurant or if I go out with friends I look at the menu ahead of time and if I have enough time I call the restaurant when they aren't busy to see if they can accomodate me.

I don't want to be the one in the office constantly complaining. We don't have a peanut allergy , we will not go into anaphylatic shock from touching a piece of paper that someone else has touched. Just think how many times we touch money, how many hands have touched it, who knows how many people have eaten a sandwich or slice of pizza while touching that money. We always wash our hands after we touch money and wash our hands before we eat.

I am sorry if this seems insensitive, but my mother is 68 in a wheelchair since she was 59 due to a stroke and a few other problems,(none celiac related) she gets up every day and never complains. The only thing she complains about is not being able to go back to work. I live in a state where they just cut jobs from the blind. How do you think these people feel, bad enough they get themselves to work via a bus or seeing eye dog, now they don't have a job on top of a disability. I bet most of them will go on and find another one, they make due every day of their lives and I hardly ever hear anyone of them saying "why can't I , Why won't they"

I find it alot easier to ask for stuff from an employer when we are not upset. Sure it makes me really angry sometimes when I can't participate with stuff, but it is not their fault we have this disease and we need to be accomodating as well. The more you tell people about it, or when they ask, they will learn about it. Not everyone knows what Celiac disease is. We have a certain company that would bring us coffee and muffins once a week and the salesman noticed I never took a muffin and asked why and I explained, believe it or not his wife has Celiac and he never looked at it from that view. Now when they come, they also bring fresh cut fruit with their coffee and muffins.

Please don't get me wrong I am not minimalizing Celiac. I too have many health issues relating to this dreaded stinky disease. Sadly the word is just learning about Celiac within the last couple of years and they are learning everyday.

If you look on websites at restaurants you will see 8 out of 10 of them have gluten free menus, of if you call and speak with the chef or manager, they either will have heard about it and can accomodate you or you can teach them about it and they will learn too. Things don't happen overnight, this is not Television where a diagnosis is given between commercials and people are cured. This is real life and the "ignorant" people that we all talk about, even me are still learing about it. Just think if we didn't have it, how many times would we have heard the word celiac or looked for the words wheart, rye, barly, gluten etc. from our shampoo to our canned soups.

There are alot of things we can't change and some we can, but the world they way it is right now with a recession and a war going on, people loosing their houses left and right, sometimes our big complaints seem trivial. I catch myself now before I complain about something because for one. I have shelter, I have food, I have a job and there are alot of families right now who don't have either.

Good luck.

While I beleive it takes the world time to "catch up" with the understanding of what Celiac disease is, I don't go along with your logic. First, you CAN have a very, very bad reaction by just inhaling flour. My daughter sufferend a severe breakdown while in a classroom with kids blowing flour around after doing a baking project.

I suffer from siezures from injesting less than a 1/2 a gram and if I inhale it I will begin the neuro-flare and I have gone into anaphylaxis from it. Myself and all three of my children have this and all three have completely

different reactions. I don't expect the world to accomdate every aspect of my life as I am capable of handeling most situations at this point. I do however, feel that accomodations for the childrens' safety be in place with a 504 or IHP. As for myself, I bring my own lunch, I don't eat anywhere that the chef is not enlightened about the disease, I make sure if there is ANYTHING with food being brought to my home or place of business that it is wrapped and that the eating takes place away from the main area of congregating. I know it is difficult so I had to quit my job and find one that was accomodating and take a HUGE pay cut. Someone would have to go out on disability and try to get well but good luck trying to prove you are too sick to work. I think for now that awareness is key.

Ms. Skinny Chic Explorer

Good luck.

you are wrong.. I read the ada and it includes digestive disorders.

I have actual seizures, if I have contact with gluten foods.... If you experience 20 or 30 seizures in a row.. you might think differently about celiac disease... It is more than a few belly aches..

Ms. Skinny Chic Explorer
I agree totally with you. I work in a small office, everything has it's place, and change is not welcome. I do the accounts payable, and my invoices sit right next to where the others all bring in their gluteny treats, and it is a tough thing to handle. I have worked there 4 yrs now, and I do not ask for special treatment, yet I do ask them to be careful. I have caught one of them sitting at my desk eating french bread, touching my calculator, using my phone, my pen...covering my desk with gluten...and it does make me angry. I would never cover her desk with rat poison. After 4 yrs of "gluten sensitivity training" they will still ask me if a cookie is ok, it doesn't have wheat, it's white flour! Some days are very stressful, and this time of the year, it gets worse. Patients are always bringing in gluten filled treats for the holidays, which is fine with me...the others just need to be more respectful of my needs.

No, we do not have a peanut allergy and no, we do not go into anaphylatic shock...yet, speaking for myself, one glutening makes me sick for a month or more. I can't afford to be sick, I have to work, I am my sole source of income. I don't want to be the one constantly complaining either. My boss's wife has a dairy intolerance, and they all recognize it as real. I wish I was only intolerant of dairy.

I think we will see more and more reference to gluten intolerance, yet, unless a person lives it, either as the intolerant, or a family member, it will stay misunderstood. Unless we, as the intolerant teach others, and that starts in our daily lives.

I hope your situation improves at work . It isn't easy being different or having a slight disability. Celiac affects us in so many ways .No one can afford to miss work these days at all. We are in a depression after all..

emcmaster Collaborator

I'm going to get flamed, but I feel the need to pipe in...

I do not think it is unreasonable to politely ask (I find that joking is more effective) that no one put gluteny crumbs on your invoices or touch your calculator while holding a hunk of french bread. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that, if possible, lunch meetings be held at restaurants that have gluten-free options. I don't even think it is unreasonable to ask that if lunch is being catered in, could they please order something special for you so you can eat too.

But I do not think it is up to the rest of the world to go out of their way for us. Sure, if it is not a big deal, it's nice for someone to think of us. I do not believe that it is up to my company to change their practices or day-to-day procedures simply because I can't eat (or touch, or breathe in) gluten. That is not their problem.

At work, I pretend that everything is a potential glutening. I never eat anything at work that I have to touch with my hands. I've seen people sit at my desk, eating a donut and touching my mouse and I usually say something jokingly and that person typically doesn't do it again.

I think it is impractical to expect my employer to change their practices in any way just for me, but I do expect them to be understanding when I make my own arrangements.

Gemini Experienced

You know, it's people like this who make it difficult for the rest of us who don't go around with the mindset that we are disabled and need special treatment! Finally Diagnosed and emcmaster have the right idea and I agree with them completely. We live in an entitle-ist world these days and everyone wants attention. However, I am offended that anyone would think I am somewhat disabled when I think of all those people who REALLY are disabled and need the help and consideration way more than I do. Food and what you eat and how are totally within your control and you shouldn't expect the rest of the free world to accommodate you to such an extent. Gluten free microwave and gluten free public spaces?!?!? :blink: How do you think peanut allergy people get through life? They can actually die from contact with the offending agent yet we have not outlawed peanuts. I have never heard any of them say they want all these special considerations either. Don't compare children in school either, we are talking about adults here....I think!

We have food meetings here at my work also and they often have a large gluteny cake sitting right in front of everyone on the table. I just politely decline, which by now they all know I will, and move on. I bring my own snack, if I am hungry and don't get all bent out of shape about it. I also don't become glutened because there is a cake in the room.

I went many years without a diagnosis and have 3 other autoimmune problems to boot and never, once, have I ever considered myself to be disabled or even slightly so. If you keep demanding things at work or want to make huge changes that may not be necessary, you won't have a job. Unless you have an allergy which causes anaphylaxsis, there are ways to make things work without going overboard.

• 2 weeks later...
spinsterwitch Rookie

So while we could debate the advisability of having Celiac labeled a disability, it is considered a chronic and serious health condition, and is therefore covered by the Family Medical Leave Act. There was a different thread here that I linked into that said that FMLA is only applicable for absences of 3 days or more, but with a chronic and intermittent condition, it can apply to shorter times when needed: "Only the amount of leave actually taken while on intermittent/reduced schedule leave may be charged as FMLA leave. Employees may not be required to take more FMLA leave than necessary to address the circumstances that cause the need for leave. Employers may account for FMLA leave in the shortest period of time that their payroll systems use, provided it is one hour or less. (See CFR Section 825-205)"

If you google Family Medical Leave Act, you will be directed to the Dept of Labor's website where you can download a medical certification form that you can bring to your diagnosing doctor and then file with your HR department.

• 3 months later...
HouseKat Apprentice
I don't even think it is unreasonable to ask that if lunch is being catered in, could they please order something special for you so you can eat too.

I think it is impractical to expect my employer to change their practices in any way just for me, but I do expect them to be understanding when I make my own arrangements.

My current situation is that I have to go to a business meeting out-of-town every other month where they have basically refused to accommodate my needs. They have several caterers that they use and one or more of them offer options that I could eat, but they ignore my plight and keep ordering in stuff like pasta and sandwiches. At one meeting I just didn't eat, at another I ate the fruit salads out of three unused lunches. I brought my own lunch to the last two meetings.

Archived