This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Thanksgiving Recipes

Katester

Katester Enthusiast

I know there have been a couple threads on here about a gluten-free Thanksgiving. I'm looking for a couple recipes and I haven't really found any that are really what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for:

a cornbread stuffing recipe-never made cornbread stuffing but I figure it'll be easier for a gluten-free stuffing.

pumpkin pie

pie crust

another kind of Thanksgiving dessert

gravy-exact measurements?

I'm completely stuck when it comes to gluten-free rolls. Should I bake some or buy some? I'm the only one in my family that is gluten-free so I don't want to put my family through a ton of trouble. Do you have any brand suggestions for mixes or already made rolls? I'm really worried about Thanksgiving to tell you the truth. I don't think I'll be able to eat much that will be there and I'm not a huge meat eater so I don't want to make myself a whole turkey. I'm just completely dumbstruck. Any help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

If you have to make/bring your own turkey, consider a breast only. They are fairly large so you'll get plenty and some leftovers. They cook is less time, but they are more expensive than turkeys-don't remember if it was per pound or as a whole but I remember them being more expensive. You could also roast a bone-in-skin on chicken breast. I don't like skin but it helps hold in the moisture- takes about 20 min. That would be tasty with some stuffing on the side.

happygirl Collaborator

Here's the recipe to my favorite pumpkin cheesecake. Other good recipes - Open Original Shared Link

my favorite pumpkin cheesecake recipe, which I made last year and others on the board did as well. I was the only Celiac at T-G and they loved it. It is actually very easy, because the ONLY substitution is for the graham cracker crumbs....the rest is naturally gluten free.

Pumpkin Cheesecake:

Crust:

happygirl Collaborator

Here are some other good threads, too.

Open Original Shared Link

Pie

Stuffing

purple Community Regular

No bake cheesecake pumpkin pie, use a cookie crumb crust...mmm

IMWalt Contributor

I would suggest a sweet-potato pie. Just use any pumpkin pie recipe and sub sweet-p for the pumpkin. I usually just go by feel and taste, but a rough idea of what I use is;

1-1/2 to 2 cups sweet potato mash

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 stick butter

3 eggs

1 tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice

1/2 cup or so of sugar, to taste.

Sometimes I'll throw in some molasses. Makes it nice and dark and extra sweet

If you imbibe, I also suggest adding a couple tablespoons of rum.

Not lo-cal by any means, but definitely tasty.

For crust I like Annalise Robert's recipe, but any will do. I like the ginger cookie idea here, and that is what I am going to try next.

Walt

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I just found this the other day -- Gravy recipe. I haven't tried it yet but looks easy/simple

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HiDee Rookie

These are some good roll recipes:

I also like Pamela's bread mix made into rolls.

I made that no-bake pumpkin cheesecake that PURPLE posted (from recipezaar) with gluten-free cinnamon snaps (mi-del) for a party last weekend, it was a MAJOR hit!

HiDee Rookie

PS For gravy, I just read the directions on the corn starch box. ARGO is labeled gluten free.

pickle Newbie

I once found a yummy gluten free, dairy free pumpkin custard recipe online, not 100% sure where, but I usually get my recipes from allrecipes.com so I'll probably head there again for it this year.

I have a deadly-delish gluten-free peanutbutter cookie/bar recipe that I found on the above site. I posted an gluten-free apple-pie in the recipe forum, I'm too lazy to pull up the link, sorry <<sheepish grin>>

I usually load up on the potatoes, sweet potatoes, veggies, salads and desserts since I'm also not a fan of turkey :) mmmmm food coma, hehe. Being overseas, I miss out a bit on all this, and dh doesn't understand how it's a big deal! He'll see when we move to the states, turkey time!

If you are cooking your own poultry pieces, like missy's mom suggested, if you combine the breast, some potatoes, carrots, zuchinni, and/or any veggies you like, a bit of water, spices and bake in either an oven bag or covered in foil, it keeps the moisture in the chicken/turkey. I have also made chicken on rice in the oven and it came our super moist and yummy!

gobble gobble everyone!

nasalady Contributor
I know there have been a couple threads on here about a gluten-free Thanksgiving. I'm looking for a couple recipes and I haven't really found any that are really what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for:

a cornbread stuffing recipe-never made cornbread stuffing but I figure it'll be easier for a gluten-free stuffing.

You may already be familiar with this site, but if not, here's a link to a blog called "A Year of CrockPotting" (all gluten free recipes); she's posted several Thanksgiving recipes, and this is her cornbread stuffing:

She also has a recipe for regular bread stuffing (gluten-free bread). You don't have to use a crockpot to make the stuffings, of course.

JoAnn

purple Community Regular

Our posts were lost...Many people just use the recipe on the back of the Libby's pumpkin can for pie.

LoisArbuckle Rookie

Hey guys,

I need the best recipe for Dressing. I see the one above but I want to cook it in the oven so it will be crunchy.

Also.. does anyone know if it's better to make a cake from scratch or buy a boxed one?

If you know of a good box of yellow cake mix let me know!

Thanks

Archived