This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg! I Can't Do This.. :(

Vlo1980

Vlo1980 Rookie

I can't survive on such a strict diet! I'm having a really hard time adjusting and I can't go for very long without screwing up and eating stuff I shouldn't. I don't have time to cook my own meals because I pretty much work 24/7 so I don't know what to do. This is really discouraging and is the last thing I needed right now.

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TiffLuvsBread Rookie

Don't you feel sick as a dog when you eat gluten!?!? I can't imaging eating gluten on purpose, the pain and anguish I would go through for the sake of eating a cookie - absolutely not worth it.

Perhaps you are asymptomatic?

I guess it's hard to tell you to just think about your health - if you are sure you have Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance - because there are people out there that smoke every single day knowing it is killing them.

Is it really such a strict diet for you? It sounds like you eat a lot of fast food or grab your lunch instead of packing it due to time restrictions. For me it's easy to grab a couple pieces of gluten-free bread and some turkey and assemble it later, or pack a salad, maybe get some frozen gluten-free items from the grocery store that you can heat up at work. I replaced all my favorite things (bread/pasta/cereal) with gluten-free versions and it's all the same to me. I just can't eat pizza out at a restaurant (unless they have gluten-free) and I can't eat a brownie that someone brings into work. You have to practice will-power and you will FEEL empowered. It will help you along the way to think about how proud you are of yourself and mentally reward yourself for being good.

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
I can't survive on such a strict diet! I'm having a really hard time adjusting and I can't go for very long without screwing up and eating stuff I shouldn't. I don't have time to cook my own meals because I pretty much work 24/7 so I don't know what to do. This is really discouraging and is the last thing I needed right now.

:(

Breathe. Relax. Try your best, and try not to worry about it. Check your local health food stores for gluten-free frozen foods. Trader Joe's also has a good selection. The risk of cross-contamination is high, but I've done it and survived.

Just do the best that you can. Read this message board for tips, and ask for help. People here are quick with helpful suggestions and support. You can do it, it isn't as hard as you think, and it gets easier quickly. Good luck to you and welcome to the board.

Edit: Edited out the Taco Bell reference, as the OP doesn't eat fast food and a poster on the Restaurants board at this site points out that Taco Bell crunchy tacos are not gluten free. Good to know.

missy'smom Collaborator

Go to restaurant websites and print out their gluten-free menus/suggestions. Put them in a folder that has clear pages that you can slide the papers into so that you have your own gluten-free menu book. Keep it in the car or with you so that you can refer to it. Outback has a good gluten-free menu and has curbside to go so if you have one near, you can call in your order and pick it up on the way home. Stick with those chains that are trained well and be clear in your ordering/instructions to avoid CC. Keep a stock of ready to eat stuff at home-canned soups, chili etc. Healthy Choice chicken and rice soup is gluten-free. Invest in some gear for portable lunches. You can buy a thermos and take things like the soup and chili to work for lunch. Consider home appliances that might help-an automatic rice cooker, a crockpot, a bread machine. There are grab and go options for breakfast-various fruit and nut or cereal type bars. What would you normally eat? Perhaps we can help you come up with similar doable options. There are really many more options available than it would seem at first!

Vlo1980 Rookie

No, I don't eat fast food at all and I'm actually a health nut. I weigh 107lbs and am in very good shape but it is hard to find the time and the energy to learn all this stuff because you have to check for ingredients and additives in everything you buy. It does suck.

Thank you all for your replies. :)

missy'smom Collaborator

If you need suggestions for brands/products that are gluten-free don't be shy in asking. We've all been there at the beginning, overwhelmed with label reading/research and trying to digest alot of info. at once. Just be specific in what kinds of things you are looking for as we all have different tastes and there is really a wide variety of things available. Check company websites-click on FAQ's or Contact Us to find gluten-free status of products. Don't hesitate to call the 800 numbers on the packages. Many of us have even done it from our cell phones in the market-as long as it is normal business hours. Have you seen this link? Open Original Shared Link or this one? Open Original Shared Link

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Hi Vlo1980,

Can you take a few minutes to make a menu for yourself? Include three meals and two snacks for each day even if you never eat that much. Do the menu as if you are not gluten free and then modify it. If you would normally have a sandwich have a salad and few gluten free pretzels. If you would normally have a bowl of cereal have gluten free cereal. I never eat all of the stuff on my menu but I never run out half way through the work week either.

Relax, deep breath, stretch (lazy cat style), it gets easier!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

miles2go Contributor

It sometimes seems like healthy food = whole wheat and its variations and that is always a bit of a hurdle. Breakfast was always the hardest thing for me. If you are used to eating whole grains, there are plenty and in ever-increasing shapes and ingredients. If you eat meat, it is easier, if not, it's entirely possible to do a vegan diet. The easiest thing is to shop the periphery of the grocery store, organic if possible and remember to read the labels of anything packaged. If you are truly a health nut, the 4 1/2 cups of veggies and fruits that you should be eating daily gives you a great start. :rolleyes: Cooking them lightly will help with digestion, if that's an issue. Give us some things you are used to eating...

Margaret

tarnalberry Community Regular

stick to naturally gluten free foods, and it's easier. "cooking" can take all of 15 minutes to chop veggies and meat and make a stirfry. and fruit, vegetables, meat, rice (gluten-free grains in general) are all naturally gluten free.

Ariauna Apprentice
stick to naturally gluten free foods, and it's easier. "cooking" can take all of 15 minutes to chop veggies and meat and make a stirfry. and fruit, vegetables, meat, rice (gluten-free grains in general) are all naturally gluten free.

Agreed 100% I too felt very overwhelmed and still do I am only 3 months into my gluten-free way of life but going through the attacks is not worth even one bite of gluten!! I have slowly started finding other gluten-free foods as well as learning to make my old recipes gluten-free. Do your best to relax and when you feel overwhelmed find a quiet place and try to relax through it and remember you are not alone!

ang1e0251 Contributor

This big change can feel overwhelming at first. But as a self described health nut, I would think you would be delighted to find another key to excellant health. For you, gluten is poison. It's going to ruin all that good health you've worked so hard to obtain.

Just go back to very basic food for at least a month until you have the hang of it. Then and only then branch out to new foods one at a time. That makes the diet not so overwhelming and doable even if you are busy.

What are you having the most trouble with? You've been given some good suggestions. If that information is incomplete, write back with new questions and we'll try to answer.

KimsHere Newbie

I was just told yesterday to start this diet and I already want coffee and a bagel with cream cheese. HA!! I love beer, pasta , pizza and all bakery things. I agree with you that this is gonna suck BUT...after feeling awful for the last 6 years and being in the middle of diagnosis for MS I'm thrilled to hear it could be gluten allergies instead of MS.

Sooooo...me and you could be friends and support each other in this new way of (not) eating...lol

When I started to feel overwhelmed I decided to begin with cutting out the known stuff. Like beer and bagels. And coffee!!!! I'm DYING for a coffee right now.....

I'm off to find out if potato chips are on the DO NOT EAT list. If they are, I will cry but just for a few minutes...lol

Kim :P

missy'smom Collaborator
I was just told yesterday to start this diet and I already want coffee and a bagel with cream cheese. HA!! I love beer, pasta , pizza and all bakery things. I agree with you that this is gonna suck BUT...after feeling awful for the last 6 years and being in the middle of diagnosis for MS I'm thrilled to hear it could be gluten allergies instead of MS.

Sooooo...me and you could be friends and support each other in this new way of (not) eating...lol

When I started to feel overwhelmed I decided to begin with cutting out the known stuff. Like beer and bagels. And coffee!!!! I'm DYING for a coffee right now.....

I'm off to find out if potato chips are on the DO NOT EAT list. If they are, I will cry but just for a few minutes...lol

Go check out the healthfood stores-there are several brands of gluten-free bagels out there, even some mainstream groceries carry them sometimes in the healthfood section or in a separate section of the frozen foods section. They are usually frozen. Plain old cream cheese should be fine. There are even gluten-free beers available. Tinkyada pasta is well liked by most people. Lays STAXX chips-all flavors are made on equipment that is dedicated to gluten-free only.

TiffLuvsBread Rookie

Wait, what's wrong with coffee.......... ?

Flavored coffee can have gluten in it. My favorite replacement for mocha capp so far is

large black coffee

2 marshmellows

enjoylife chocolate chips to taste (I like lots!)

The marshmellows keep the chocolate from sinking to the bottom of the cup.

Puddy Explorer

If you are looking for flavored coffees, all of Green Mountain's are gluten free.

Thank you :) My boss and I use to have Hazel Nut coffee when the guys have the day off (Fridays) but since this happened ...... I got glutened once and haven't sniffed Hazel Nut since :(

betsb90 Newbie

I'm having such a hard time with this as well. I can't have yeast, gluten, rice, corn, or dairy. I want to eat all the time even when I'm not hungry just because I have cravings for foods I can't eat. and I work at a bakery. I'm relieved to know I'm on the right track to feeling better, but I feel so frustrated. I'm a college student who's always eaten pretty well, but now I'm scared to even go into the dining halls because I hate feeling like I'm not normal.

Archived