TotalKnowledge

Xanthum Gum Vs. Guar Gum

Rate this topic

I have noticed that all of the commercially available products all use xanthum gum. If they are indeed interchangeable wouldn't it make more sense for them to use guar gum? Guar gum seems to cost a fraction of what xanthum gum costs.

I beleive there is a difference in taste.

I beleive there is a difference in taste.

Does it have an undesirable taste? I plan to start experimenting a lot with baking but don't want to by something that I am not going to use.

I guess I should just get some and see what it is like.

Does it have an undesirable taste? I plan to start experimenting a lot with baking but don't want to by something that I am not going to use.

I guess I should just get some and see what it is like.

I have never tried guar gum so I don't know and I have never really baked with xanthan gum unless it was in a mix I bought. I just use Knox gelatin.

I have never tried guar gum so I don't know and I have never really baked with xanthan gum unless it was in a mix I bought. I just use Knox gelatin.

Knox gelatin? What kind of baking and purpose do you use that in? I haven't yet learned how to bake/cook much with the different flours, etc. It's overwhelming to me. Any great tips or secrets to make it easy?

Isn't that a "lighter" thickener? Like tapioca starch or arrowroot starch?

In gluten-free baking, gelatin acts as a binder/thickener. It's particularly good for things like pizza dough, where you want the dough to be pliable and not crack.

Guar gum, when eaten in larger amounts can have a laxative effect in some people.

Knox gelatin? What kind of baking and purpose do you use that in? I haven't yet learned how to bake/cook much with the different flours, etc. It's overwhelming to me. Any great tips or secrets to make it easy?

I use knox geletain instead of or in place of xanthan gum or guar gum in recipes.

There is basically three things you need in a flour mix. Your main flour which is brown rice flour for me and then a starch (cornstarch, potato starch, tapioca starch or arrowroot starch). You can use more than one flour for your main flour and more than one starch as long as the ratio is about 2:1. And then you need a binder which is guar gum xanthan gum, or knox geletain. You only need a small amount usually 1-3 teaspoons.