This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipe For Co-worker

lcremin86

lcremin86 Newbie

I work in a small doctors office and for some time now have wanted to bake something and bring it in. One of my co-workers can't have gluten, dairy, or wheat. I've found plenty of recipes that excludes each one of those or two of those but cannot find anything that is free of all three.

Can anyone recommend a baking recipe (cookies, cake, bars, etc..) that is free of gluten, dairy, and wheat? It would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elle's mom Contributor

Gluten includes wheat so what you really need is a gluten free / dairy free recipe. The trick is not in finding the recipe, but rather in finding the ingredients you need and PREPARING the dish properly!! Gluten is a VERY severe sensitivity that involves strict control of cross-contamination. I'm not trying to scare you, but you do have to be very careful or she'll pay for it. I have a delicious and super easy recipe you can try.

Open Original Shared Link

A few tips:

1. I like to substitue gluten-free rice chex for the cornflakes, only because now they are easier to find. It tastes just as good if not better.

2. Buy a fresh small jar of PB, so as to not use one already contaminated with crumbs from your regular bread.

3. Same goes for brown sugar, in case you may have used same measuring cup for regular flour and "double dipped" in the past. Yes, I am serious.

4. Do not grease the pan with regular butter (as it contains dairy), I use cooking spray.

5. The only chocolate chips I've found that truly do not contain dairy are by a company called "enjoy life". I find them at Meijer (I'm in Michigan) but I'm sure they can be found in the "healthy living" or "gluten free" section at other stores that carry gluten-free food, like a health food store. FYI "milkfat" is still dairy.

Be sure to tell her you took these precautions or she'll be afraid to eat a dish someone else prepared.

elle's mom Contributor

Also, if you do want to use cornflakes, they have to be labeled "gluten-free" as the regular kind do contain gluten.

lpellegr Collaborator

And don't be offended or surprised if, after all your effort, your co-worker still turns down your item. We have to be very careful, and most of us won't take a chance just to spare the feelings of a co-worker or family member who doesn't have to live with the consequences. This diet can be a booger to follow, and the results of one small mistake can be with us for a long time. But we always appreciate when someone like you recognizes our predicament and is nice enough to want to make something for us to share.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
I work in a small doctors office and for some time now have wanted to bake something and bring it in. One of my co-workers can't have gluten, dairy, or wheat. I've found plenty of recipes that excludes each one of those or two of those but cannot find anything that is free of all three.

Can anyone recommend a baking recipe (cookies, cake, bars, etc..) that is free of gluten, dairy, and wheat? It would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

here's a gluten-free WF DF Recipe for Banana Bread with Sultanas and Walnuts.

If you don't have a kitchen weighing scales (Which is much more accurate than Cups and spoons)

then here is a convertor, Courtest of The Gourmet Sleuth

Best Regards,

David

P.S. for Elle's Mom.

The following is basically flawed

Quote"Gluten includes wheat so what you really need is a gluten free / dairy free recipe" End Quote

Glutenfree Products can contain Codex Wheat starch (Wheat which has had the gluten element removed) so while it is Glutenfree it is NOT Wheat Free, and those with an additional wheat intollerance must avoid wheat starch, even though the gluten has been removed.

People with Wheat allergies will also avoid, glucose syrup (from wheat), maltodextrin (from wheat) Caramel colouring (from wheat) etc.

Just thought I'd set the record straight.

Best Regards,

David

elle's mom Contributor

Thanks for the info; I did NOT know that! My daughter is not (that we know of anyway allergic to wheat). We actuallly have been avoiding caramel color anyway, but I always thought maltodextrin was usually from corn (unless outside the US). I had no idea glucose syrup was an issue for some though. So-if you have the wheat allergy is it damaging to the intestines as gluten is in celiac? Or would it be more similar to a hayfever/environmental type reaction (involving IgE)?

lcremin86 Newbie

Thank you so much for all the suggestions, guys. I already had a sneaking suspicion that she might refuse to eat what i made anyway. But even so i don't want her to feel left out. I can only imagine what it's like to have to be so vigilant with what you're eating and one slip can cause you pain and discomfort for some time.

Hey, while i have your ears, i've read that cutting out gluten can benefit everyone even those without gluten allergies. I have MS and have read that gluten can actually increase the inflammation and nerve damage. Anyone know anything about this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahp57 Contributor

There was an article about this a while back in (i think) Living Well... but that might not be accurate. i'll try to remember for sure. anyways, i read that gluten free can reduce inflammation along with increasing your intake of omega 3 fatty acids

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thank you so much for all the suggestions, guys. I already had a sneaking suspicion that she might refuse to eat what i made anyway. But even so i don't want her to feel left out. I can only imagine what it's like to have to be so vigilant with what you're eating and one slip can cause you pain and discomfort for some time.

Hey, while i have your ears, i've read that cutting out gluten can benefit everyone even those without gluten allergies. I have MS and have read that gluten can actually increase the inflammation and nerve damage. Anyone know anything about this?

For your coworker, I agree with what the others have pointed out. Instead of trying to bake something perhaps on the days you bake for others you could bring in packaged cookies and or perhaps some fruit. There a quite a few available from Kinnickinnicks chocolate and vanilla sandwich style cooking to no-oatmeal oatmeal from Enjoy Life to Pamelas brand which has a variety.

As to your other question. In some folks the neurotoxic effects of gluten can mimic MS. I was thought to have MS before I was diagnosed when what I really had was severe nerve damage from gluten and something called gluten ataxia. The neuro effects of gluten can cause brain lesions called UBOs (unidentified bright object) these lesions are similar to demylinating lesions but are not around the mylin sheath. MS also throws a certain type of 'debris' into the spinal fluid and when a tap was done I did not have that debris so MS was ruled out. I have seen a great resolution of my neurological issues since I was diagnosed. Could undiagnosed celiac be a factor in MS excaberations, perhaps. Could some who have been diagnosed with MS perhaps have severe celiac brain impact, perhaps. I can't answer you with any surity but if you haven't been screened for celiac you may want to consider it. You may also want to give the diet a good strict try. That is up to you but if you are going to persue celiac screening do keep eating gluten until all tests are done.

Takala Enthusiast

I just want to reiterate that unless you have some restaurant or gluten free cooking experience to avoid certain cross contaminations (for example, you can't use your cooking pans/sheets, you would have to get new ones.... ) it would be better to just pick up a package of something gluten free and pre baked, such as cookies. I do bake gluten free things to take to regular gatherings, and label it as such, people eat it anyway and that way I feel like I contributed. I know to snag my serving out first before somebody sticks a regular contaminant on the same plate.... :rolleyes:

Those Pamela's.... those Mi Del gingersnaps.... mmmmmm.

I also get gluten ataxia and peripheral neuropathy and vision anomalies but most of this has resolved after 6+ years on the diet. I was thought to have MS, on top of the arthritis, from my symptoms, but flunked my spinal tap decades ago, I have had many idiot doctors since then implying I'm a head case because I wouldn't go for a repeat before I finally self diagnosed as gluten intolerant. I found no doctors who would believe me that my neuro symptoms were resolving on a modified SCD diet.

ranger Enthusiast

I have to agree with most- I wouldn't eat something a co-worker braught in. I finally had to tell my own daughters to stop bring me homeade gluten-free stuff. I love them, I appreciate the thaught, but I won't eat it. Know one really understands how careful most of us has to be. So, take her prepackaged, or flowers , or wine, ect. And she'll really appreciate not being put on the spot.

Archived