This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

One Kind Of Dairy Ok, But Not Another?

Korwyn

Korwyn Explorer

I tested positive for Casein reaction, and have been almost totally off dairy since may except for four times and I have a question. The first two times were each a medium think slice of cheese (white cheddar I think) about 2-3 oz. I experienced no reaction to them. #1 was about three months ago, #2 was last month some time. The second two were both a gluten/soy free blackberry pie which had butter and powdered milk in the crust. #3 (a single piece) produced nausea and severe heartburn, but I chalked it up to something else in my eating since I had eaten a lot of fatty and oily foods that day. However #4 (another slice as dessert for lunch) sent me home from work within about two hours. I made the 20 minute drive back from the job site to the main office and threw up about as violently as I have ever in my live. I made it from there about two blocks and had to pull over and threw up again repeatedly. I eventually made the remaining 15 minute drive home and was sick all night and had D - even Pepto didn't help. I'm still feeling somewhat icky, but I went to work today and kept all my food down.

So my question is this: If this was a Casein reaction, how come I didn't react at all to the cheese? I figured out how much dairy was in the pie, and there was a total of .75 Tbsp of butter per slice, and 1 tsp of powered milk. The two slices of cheese were roughly 2-3 oz each.

Any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

utdan Apprentice
I tested positive for Casein reaction, and have been almost totally off dairy since may except for four times and I have a question. The first two times were each a medium think slice of cheese (white cheddar I think) about 2-3 oz. I experienced no reaction to them. #1 was about three months ago, #2 was last month some time. The second two were both a gluten/soy free blackberry pie which had butter and powdered milk in the crust. #3 (a single piece) produced nausea and severe heartburn, but I chalked it up to something else in my eating since I had eaten a lot of fatty and oily foods that day. However #4 (another slice as dessert for lunch) sent me home from work within about two hours. I made the 20 minute drive back from the job site to the main office and threw up about as violently as I have ever in my live. I made it from there about two blocks and had to pull over and threw up again repeatedly. I eventually made the remaining 15 minute drive home and was sick all night and had D - even Pepto didn't help. I'm still feeling somewhat icky, but I went to work today and kept all my food down.

So my question is this: If this was a Casein reaction, how come I didn't react at all to the cheese? I figured out how much dairy was in the pie, and there was a total of .75 Tbsp of butter per slice, and 1 tsp of powered milk. The two slices of cheese were roughly 2-3 oz each.

Any ideas?

I don't have an answer to your question but there is something I've heard about different kinds of milk from different breeds of cattle. On Mercola.com a weekly newsletter reported that the milk produced by cattle in the United States (mostly Holstein cattle) has a certain slight difference in the milk protein casein which causes so many problems with some people. It said that the African main cow breed didn't have that particular amino acid sequence in their casein protein and the same people can eat it just fine. I don't know if this is true - just saying what I read, and Mercola.com is a well-known and trusted health information source.

jststric Contributor

I don't know the reason either, but I've experienced that myself. I have found that cheddar bothers me more consistently than other cheeses too. I have been dairy-intolerant for years prior to my gluten and other food-intolerances kicking in. It did go into turbo-gear at that time though and I usually am very vigilant about no dairy. But I have discovered this summer that just a couple of small bites once in a blue moon I can seemingly do. Being that cheese is one of those things I have missed tremendously, I am very happy about this new finding, lol. But cheddar does seem to be a big no-no. I have no idea why. I also had trouble with fresh parmesan once. So I'm wondering if its a difference between hard cheeses and soft? Who knows. I wish you the best in your search for answers!

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I tested negative for Casein but am lactose intolerant. I can handle hard aged cheeses and small amounts of the non expensive cheddars ect that you can get at the grocery store. I can't handle ANYTHING with milk powder in it because of the high lactose content of powerdered milk. I'm wondering if you have a mild casein reaction (dose related) and also lactose intolerant? Just a thought.

Oli Rookie

Any ideas?

Oli Rookie

Well, I don't know about anyone else but the yellow coloring in butter and cheese is NOT my friend. Not only am I lactose intolerant but when I eat cheese of any kind it makes my throat thick and itchy and my lungs hurt and it is hard to breath. I try to stay away from reds, blues, yellows, well, most all colorants. Was there msg in the product? Could the blackberries been sprayed with certain chemicals? It sounds like what ever is triggering the reaction is becoming dangerous for you.

Korwyn Explorer
Well, I don't know about anyone else but the yellow coloring in butter and cheese is NOT my friend. Not only am I lactose intolerant but when I eat cheese of any kind it makes my throat thick and itchy and my lungs hurt and it is hard to breath. I try to stay away from reds, blues, yellows, well, most all colorants. Was there msg in the product? Could the blackberries been sprayed with certain chemicals? It sounds like what ever is triggering the reaction is becoming dangerous for you.

No MSG, no colouring. I picked the berries myself from our property and it was all homemade. The only other thing that I can think of that was something not frequently eaten was cornstarch and some of the rice and tapioca flours. But...they were all in some blueberry muffins we made recently and I had no reaction to them at all and I've made two batches of the muffins in the last month. I didn't realize there was colouring added to butter. Reading one of the above response though makes me think it might have been a combined reaction to the casein AND the lactose both. I didn't think about the fact that the powdered milk was basically concentrated lactose, and I have tested positive for and anti-body response to casein.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I'm thinking it will not matter which breed of cow, if you are dairy intolerant or lactose intolerant, you will find a milk product you can use. I have read that even goats milk is too much like dairy, and myst dairy intolerant's can tolerate it either.

I did find this:

Open Original Shared Link

Ayrshire: with 3.9% butterfat, 3.3% total protein.

Brown Swiss: with 4.0% butterfat, 3.5% total protein.

Guernsey: with 4.5% butterfat, 3.5% total protein each cycle.

Holstein-Friesian: with 2.5-3.6% butterfat, 3.2% total protein.

Jersey: with a high butterfat content of 4.9%, total protein 3.7%.

Milking Shorthorn: with a butterfat content of 3.8%, total protein 3.3%.

Open Original Shared Link

Each breed gives a slightly different milk product that varies in nutrient content (i.e. protein and vitamins). You are probably most familiar with the Holstein-Friesian (black and white) dairy cow. It is the most popular among dairy farmers because it produces more milk than the other breeds. Although it would make sense for farmers to milk herds of pure Holsteins since they give the most milk, some farmers mix their breeds because cows that are slightly mixed tend to be stronger than pure Holsteins

Archived