This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Wasting My Time With This Candida Regimen/diet?

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

Has anyone done the Candida diet? i need to but my biggest concern is loosing weight....I am currently 5'11" and weigh 150 (I should be closer to 155-157) but if i start cutting out carbs & sugar im gonna drop down even lower and I dont like the way I look when Im too thin & everyone starts complaining that i look too thin. What kind of carbs am I allowed on this diet..can i do brown rice and quinoa?

thx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chatycady Explorer
Has anyone done the Candida diet? i need to but my biggest concern is loosing weight....I am currently 5'11" and weigh 150 (I should be closer to 155-157) but if i start cutting out carbs & sugar im gonna drop down even lower and I dont like the way I look when Im too thin & everyone starts complaining that i look too thin. What kind of carbs am I allowed on this diet..can i do brown rice and quinoa?

thx

I believe you can do complex carbs, but no more than 15 grams at a meal.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Have you tried taking Acidophilus? That worked for me, even without going low carb.

jasonD2 Experienced

Acidophilus alone wont do the trick. im on a specific regimen now which includes multiple probiotics, S. boulardii, anti yeast supplements and a low carb/no sugar diet

MissyJoy Rookie

I went to a nutritionist in 2006 and she had me do the Candidia Diet - it was supposed to be an intense 3 week period, but ended up being 2 years, because I just got worse if I added foods back in. This was before I figured out that I was gluten intolerant.

My diet was meats, including eggs but not including lunchmeats or breakfast meats like sausage or bacon), high carb veggies (no cooked carrots, and limited amounts of corn, no potatoes of any kind), no fruit, no dairy, no grains - except Plain rice cakes, plain rice crackers, and 1/2 cup of brown rice a day. I was allowed to use coconut oil and coconut milk, wheat free soy sauce, and rice milk.

And I am 5'6 and ended up weighing 110 pounds. Energy was in short supply, but I knew that the diet was healing my body, because my symptoms went away.

I also took supplements to kill the yeast (Grapefruit seed extract drops) and cleanse my liver (Sillymarian). It worked for me - and as soon as the clease was over, I went back to a normal healthy weight. Yeah, people did look at me with concern, but I assured them that I was taking care of myself better than ever, and that seemed to calm them down.

Hope that helps! :)

IChaseFrisbees Explorer

Hi Jason, if you're a guy worrying about losing weight I assume you lift at least a little bit? I'm almost exactly your size, 5'11" 150-155, I've always had trouble gaining weight no matter how much I eat or how much I workout. I wouldn't worry about carbs too much as they won't really add the weight you'd like (if you're like me I mean.)

You're allowed plenty of protein in meats, beans I believe and also there are some supplements that you can take that are beneficial to the process in addition to having protein, so if you hit the gym regularly and have a good protein and calorie intake for your body then I can't imagine you'd have trouble with weight.

Check your diet with your doctor and make sure you're getting enough protein and calories and they'll be able to tell you the impact it will have on your weight. Good luck.

jasonD2 Experienced

So I found out that I have significant intestinal candida & bacterial overgrowth and am on a non sugar/no carb diet and am about to start taking Symbion (which is comparable to ThreeLac); problem is whenever I take probiotics they really constipate me (im currently taking S.boulardi, l.sporogenes and Thera-Biotic Complete and they are constipating me pretty badly). If I need these bugs to get healthy but they keep messing up my bowels then what am i supposed to do?

I was taking Oxypowder for a week along with the supplemenst and everything was fine, but I stopped the oxypowder and am backed up again.

Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast
So I found out that I have significant intestinal candida & bacterial overgrowth and am on a non sugar/no carb diet and am about to start taking Symbion (which is comparable to ThreeLac); problem is whenever I take probiotics they really constipate me (im currently taking S.boulardi, l.sporogenes and Thera-Biotic Complete and they are constipating me pretty badly). If I need these bugs to get healthy but they keep messing up my bowels then what am i supposed to do?

I was taking Oxypowder for a week along with the supplemenst and everything was fine, but I stopped the oxypowder and am backed up again.

Any suggestions?

Probiotics usually restore regularity. So they can either reduce diarrhea or improve motility to reduce constipation. So I suspect your constipation is more likely due to c-diff or candida. How did you learn you have candida and c-diff? I assumed from your signature that your 'bacterial overgrowth' is clostridium difficile. If a stool test definitely diagnosed candida and c-diff, you need to treat c-diff asap with a stronger antibacterial drug (like flagyl or vancomycin). The S.boulardi will decrease side effects of flagyl, but won't eliminate c-diff.

I had candida for several years, but finally eliminated that after taking nystatin for several months. A low carb/ low sugar diet is not as effective as taking antifungal drugs. However, taking either antifungals or antibacterial drugs (without taking enough probiotics after treatment) can allow small amounts of c-diff to proliferate. So I then got a bad c-diff infection (diagnosed by stool test), which I have fought for several months. Flagyl did not eliminate my c-diff. So I'm now on my second round of vancomycin.

C-diff symptoms can include either constipation or diarrhea, plus cramping abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, dizziness and passing mucous (instead of or along with stool). Untreated c-diff can cause fatal complications, like intestinal perforation which allow intestinal contents to leak into the peritoneum and cause sepsis. If your doctor diagnosed your c-diff, he/she can prescribe an antibacterial drug to treat that infection. Don't delay. The longer you have untreated c-diff, the more difficult it can be to eliminate.

SUE

jasonD2 Experienced

Hi Sue-

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure that constipation is not a symptom of C.Difficle...usually its profuse watery diarrhea, so it may be more of a candida issue.

My doc has me on S. Boulardi to treat the C.difficile overgrowth for now. My fear of taking an antibiotic is that it will mess things up even more and allow the candida to proliferate out of control and make my symptoms worse. Im supposed to do a follow up stool test in 2 months so that will give an indication if the probiotics are working. If not may have to try something stronger like Nystatin, but my concern is that its very harsh on the liver

Jason

burdee Enthusiast
Hi Sue-

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure that constipation is not a symptom of C.Difficle...usually its profuse watery diarrhea, so it may be more of a candida issue.

My doc has me on S. Boulardi to treat the C.difficile overgrowth for now. My fear of taking an antibiotic is that it will mess things up even more and allow the candida to proliferate out of control and make my symptoms worse. Im supposed to do a follow up stool test in 2 months so that will give an indication if the probiotics are working. If not may have to try something stronger like Nystatin, but my concern is that its very harsh on the liver

Jason

Hi Jason: I know constipation is a symptom of c-diff, because I had that symptom before stool test (DNA Microbial) diagnosed me with c-diff. Since treatment with flagyl and then vancomycin, I have had no constipation for months. Also many c-diff site list that as a symptom. However, candida more commonly causes constiption

I can understand your fear of treating c-diff with antibacterial drugs. However, taking a probiotic (or S Boulardi) while taking that drug can prevent overgrowth problems. I developed c-diff after treating for nystatin for over 5 months and not taking high dose probiotics during that treatment. I'm now taking probiotics while treating for c-diff and really high dose probiotics between treatment rounds.

Nystatin is NOT absorbed into the body. It only affects the intestines. So you won't have to worry about the liver, like you would with difulcan (another antifungal drug).

My doc would not use S. Boulardi (which is also a yeast, though beneficial) to treat my c-diff, because I had a long history with candida. I wish you luck treating c-diff with that yeast and probiotics. I've read reports from some people who eliminated their c-diff with those 2 supplements. My c-diff levels were too high by the time I was tested and diagnosed. I had really obvious c-diff symptoms and needed stronger drugs.

SUE

AliB Enthusiast

Jason, don't give up the diet.

Ok, so it may not be an overnight success in terms of treating the bugs, but it does work in the long term.

By changing your diet you are changing your gut environment and making it less hospitable for them. Yes it can take a while to dispense with the little darlings but it really is a far better way to go.

Perhaps the following might explain a bit better why Candida is such an issue for those with Gluten Intolerance -

Open Original Shared Link

I have been following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for about 18 months and gradually the external signs of my systemic Candida infestation are abating and that gives me confidence that the internal ones are too.

This, for me, is a diet for life. I have wised-up to the damage that the 'normal' Western diet is doing to everyone - those with Celiac and gluten intolerance have just one type of manifestation of the damage. Candida is a big problem for a lot of people whether they realise it or not. Any external symptoms like Athlete's foot, jock-itch, dandruff, itchy scalp, fungal nail infections, thrush, etc., are just indications that people are a walking fungus-factory!

Treatments like Nystatin and Flagyl may work in the short-term, but the problem with those is that, like antibiotics, the bugs get resistant to them and eventually they cease to work - in effect, the drugs have made the little beggars even stronger!

Take their food away from them, however, and they have nowhere to go but down.

Apparently both Candida Albicans and Clostridium Difficile are normal inhabitants of the bowel - it is only when they get out of control that they become pathogenic. The high-carbohydrate, high-sugar 'Western' diet feeds them. Probiotics can help but only if the diet includes plenty of good wholesome vegetables and particularly raw ones.

After 18 months I rarely now get bloated and if my elimination gets a bit 'retarded' I make sure I am drinking enough and pop a magnesium tablet. I find coconut oil very good too - it helps 'lubricate' things and also contains caprylic and lauric acid, both of which are powerful antifungals.

jasonD2 Experienced

Ok but still...what do i do about the constipation? Again These probiotics are essential for my recovery but they back me up pretty badly. Even if I take natural calm at the same time I dont have good BM's. If i take oxypowder then i'm fine, but i really dont know if its safe to take long term

• 2 weeks later...
jasonD2 Experienced

if i eliminate this alleged candida problem will all my sensitivities and constipation disappear? maybe not the gluten and thats fine, but will i get any type of relief or am i just wasting my time?

FMcGee Explorer
if i eliminate this alleged candida problem will all my sensitivities and constipation disappear? maybe not the gluten and thats fine, but will i get any type of relief or am i just wasting my time?

Well, according to medical science, you're wasting your time. Medicine has shown that there's no such thing as "leaky gut" and that "candida overgrowth" isn't really a problem that causes the symptoms some homeopathic practitioners have ascribed to it. I don't want to get tons of rocks thrown at me, but... I tend to side with medical science on this one. I'm a generally pro-science person.

jasonD2 Experienced

Well medical science doesn't have all the answers unfortunately. Years ago MDs laughed at probiotics and now they are recommending them to their patients (the more knowledgeable & open docs anyway) so im sure someday the candida thing will float into the mainstream as well...to me it makes sense and everything else has failed, so I have to go with this for now. For a normal healthy person candida shouldnt be an issue, but if you are on antibiotics and had severe digestive trauma then it makes sense that the microbial ecology can be altered and allow the overgrowth of bad bugs. U know lotsa mainstream docs wont even test for celiac if you dont show the hallmark symptoms. bottom line, MDs are ignorant and prescribe the quick fix and collect their 6 figure paycheck and call it a day.

Roda Rising Star

I don't know about all of the varried symptoms of yeast overgrowth, but I do think it can be a problem for some. My youngest son was on so many antibiotics that he would get yeast infections in is diaper area, thrush (which he passed to me while nursing OUCH! :blink: ), and even had overgrowth in his bowel (had pale yeasty smelling stools and even was passing just mucous). I am the one who would request blood work to make sure he had a bacterial infection first because of the imbalance in his digestive tract and put him on a probiotic. He was just a baby at the time so I can't attest for any other issues other than the ones he had. Luckily we got him straightened out and my two boys and I take have taken probiotics daily for many years now. Even now when I take an antibotic I get yeast infections. So the balance can be off. I can tell when there is a shift because I crave more sugar than usual. I take extra probiotics for awhile and watch the sugar intake and usually feel fine.

Have you tried flax or something else you may be able to tolerate for the constipation? Do you drink plenty of water? How about exercise? Exercise helps myself and my oldest son in that department along with plenty of water and not consuming to much dairy.

PS. I notice in your signature that you contracted giardia. Could you still be having problems from that or have you ruled out other parasites?

jasonD2 Experienced

Thanks-

Fiber doesnt seem to help my Constipation...its more a bowel motility/spasm issue. Fiber just bloats me up and makes me uncomfortable.

The giardia was in 02; however my recent stool test showed another parasite but I was put on a drug for a few days to treat that. now just focusing on candida & c.difficle overgrowth. I started taking Symbion in conjunction with Biogest, wormwood and s.boulardii and use oxypowder to keep things moving...im supposed to retest soon so we'll see

Roda Rising Star
Thanks-

Fiber doesnt seem to help my Constipation...its more a bowel motility/spasm issue. Fiber just bloats me up and makes me uncomfortable.

Have you looked into any other causes for the constipation besides bacterial overgrowth of the bowel? I mean an actual mechanical problem of sorts. Have you had a colon transit study done? Do you think there could be some sort of nerve problem or pelvic floor issue causing the continued problem?

jasonD2 Experienced

Dont know - I guess anything is possible. I'm 35 and am planning to go for a colonoscopy this year - a little young but i figure it couldnt hurt, plus my great grandmother & grandmother had colon cancer...maybe even celiac related. Seems like the constipation has something to do with water absorption or re-absorption cause the initial part of all my BM'S are always dry and hard..after that it passes easily but i still feel incomplete evacuation afterwards w/ bloating (sometimes)

Roda Rising Star

Good idea to have the colonoscopy done. I was 35 almost 36 when I had my colonoscopy last December. The exam was not so bad since I was under iv sedation. Just the whole prep was the worst part. I had it done since I had a positive hemoccult stool test. They found a polyp and removed it. Everything looked good and the blood was from hemmorhoids, probably the result of many years of constipation, pregnancy and childbirth. :lol:

FMcGee Explorer

While I agree that doctors don't have all the answers and that medical science is evolving, "MDs are ignorant and greedy" is a pretty awful statement, I think. Some of them are, sure. Some of any given population of people sucks. It really bugs me when people rail against all doctors, though. I was just telling you what medical science would say in answer to your question. I guess that wasn't the answer you wanted. My apologies.

Roda Rising Star
While I agree that doctors don't have all the answers and that medical science is evolving, "MDs are ignorant and greedy" is a pretty awful statement, I think. Some of them are, sure. Some of any given population of people sucks. It really bugs me when people rail against all doctors, though. I was just telling you what medical science would say in answer to your question. I guess that wasn't the answer you wanted. My apologies.

It is good to have differing opinions. Makes for a good discussion. It can be an issue, but I don't believe candida causes as many things as some practictioners like to lead you to believe. As for doctors, I've had a couple experiences with bad ones, but I have had a lot of good ones too. I work at an Adventist affiliated hospital and I have encountered some of the most caring and humble doctors during my time there. Their views on nutrition are really interesting (The Kelloggs were adventist). Some things I can agree with and some I don't, but it has made it easier to find a doctor (my gi doc) that is more open to things.

FMcGee Explorer
It is good to have differing opinions. Makes for a good discussion. It can be an issue, but I don't believe candida causes as many things as some practictioners like to lead you to believe. As for doctors, I've had a couple experiences with bad ones, but I have had a lot of good ones too. I work at an Adventist affiliated hospital and I have encountered some of the most caring and humble doctors during my time there. Their views on nutrition is really interesting (The Kellogs' were adventist). Some things I can agree with and some I don't, but it has made it easier to find a doctor (my gi doc) that is more open to things.

First, I should make clear that I was only responding to jasonD2, but forgot to hit the proper reply button that would have included his quote, and being in a bit of a hurry I didn't correct it.

It IS good to have differing opinions, and I enjoy a good discussion. I'm certainly not going to cast aspersions on those who disagree with me on the candida issue, mostly because I don't see why I should get that invested in the issue. It does bother the hell out of me, though, when people voice unilaterally anti-science or anti-doctor sentiments. That's dangerous, scary, and unfair. We need doctors, we need science, and while science and doctors can be wrong about some things, and don't always have all the answers, to paint them as wrong/profit-motivated 100% of the time (or even most of the time) is... well, dangerous, scary, and unfair. Especially given that this is a community centered on a disease for which we rely on doctors and science to a significant degree for better understandings of our health. Yeah, doctors done us all wrong at some point. So have teachers (I'm looking at you, seventh grade math teacher who thought I was stupid when I just had dyscalculia), and the media (yikes!), and clergy (don't even get me started there), and police officers (there either), and plumbers (ACK!!!). You see what I'm saying? Every profession has its angels and demons, but "MDs are ignorant and greedy" just... grosses me out. My mom is a doctor, she does about 75% of her work FOR FREE because of the community she's in, and spends the significant portion of her "free time" reading the latest research and going to conferences she doesn't need for CMEs so she can make sure her patients - who overwhelmingly ARE NOT PAYING HER - get the best possible treatment. She's not special in that regard, either (though she's special to me, of course!). She's at a pretty big hospital and that's just how it is there, and in other places like it all around the country. My parents barely have any retirement savings and they're white collar professionals because they are... not greedy! So, yeah. Rubs me the wrong way, that does.

Besides, he'd asked if this diet was a waste of his time. I'm not sure what he wanted. Did he want an answer based on medical science, or what? Because those who believe in candida overgrowth and leaky gut are going to give him one answer, and those who believe in what the medical community has to say are going to give him a different answer, and there are other answers in between I'm sure, but that was a pretty harsh response to one of the possible answers he was eliciting.

FMcGee Explorer
First, I should make clear that I was only responding to jasonD2, but forgot to hit the proper reply button that would have included his quote, and being in a bit of a hurry I didn't correct it.

And NOW I should make clear that by saying this, I wasn't saying that I don't want anyone else to respond, just that I wasn't aiming this at anyone else specifically, or hoping to fire away at what anyone else had contributed to the conversation. I of course consider anything I post here fodder for public consumption. :) Now have at it!! :)

Roda Rising Star
And NOW I should make clear that by saying this, I wasn't saying that I don't want anyone else to respond, just that I wasn't aiming this at anyone else specifically, or hoping to fire away at what anyone else had contributed to the conversation. I of course consider anything I post here fodder for public consumption. :) Now have at it!! :)

I did not take your resposne toward me, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I hope he can find someone to help him and get to the bottom of his problem.

Archived