Jonbo

Hy-vee gluten-free Dedicated Aisle!

Rate this topic

I haven't checked any other Hy-Vee's yet to see if they have dedicated an entire aisle. It's not a long/large aisle, but it is in their 'Health Market' section. The 2 I visit the most (Altoona and one off I-35 and Mills Civic Parkway http://www.hy-vee.com/stores/detail.aspx?s=236 ), the one in WDM is the first I have seen putting an entire aisle to gluten-free items. Granted, prices are more expensive compared to others (not helped by the seemingly 20 cent "tax" by them because it is in West Des Moines afterall...) but for the occasional usage it's awesome.

I think if I recall also they have a small freezer area in the Health Market section dedicated to gluten-free now also instead of just scattered about in the section like most stores. The biggest surprise was seeing non-frozen bread now since I have yet myself seen non-frozen bread to purchase. So for anyone in the DSM area (or other cities), may want to check out that Hy-Vee (or another one closer) to see if they have dedicated a (small) aisle to gluten-free items.

I haven't checked any other Hy-Vee's yet to see if they have dedicated an entire aisle. It's not a long/large aisle, but it is in their 'Health Market' section. The 2 I visit the most (Altoona and one off I-35 and Mills Civic Parkway http://www.hy-vee.com/stores/detail.aspx?s=236 ), the one in WDM is the first I have seen putting an entire aisle to gluten-free items. Granted, prices are more expensive compared to others (not helped by the seemingly 20 cent "tax" by them because it is in West Des Moines afterall...) but for the occasional usage it's awesome.

I think if I recall also they have a small freezer area in the Health Market section dedicated to gluten-free now also instead of just scattered about in the section like most stores. The biggest surprise was seeing non-frozen bread now since I have yet myself seen non-frozen bread to purchase. So for anyone in the DSM area (or other cities), may want to check out that Hy-Vee (or another one closer) to see if they have dedicated a (small) aisle to gluten-free items.

The Hy-Vee's in Kansas have the same. There is also a brochure on one of the end caps with each isle broken down with what is gluten-free of their brand products and usually a three ring binder of national brands. If they don't carry something ask them about it.

Hyvee Rocks!! In Iowa City, Muscatine and Coralville, they have extensive gluten free sections and they seem to be expanding every day!! I love Hyvee.