Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CherFlamingo

Sulfite Intolerance With Celiac

I am curious as to how many other people may have a sulfite intolerance/allergy along with Celiac. I was under the impression that Chardonnay wine was safe to drink. I have found that not to be the case with me. I have itching quite rapidly and then the dreaded intestional problems either almost immediately or within 12 hours. I also have to be extremely careful drinking this wine or I will find myself quite incapable of functioning.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am curious as to how many other people may have a sulfite intolerance/allergy along with Celiac. I was under the impression that Chardonnay wine was safe to drink. I have found that not to be the case with me. I have itching quite rapidly and then the dreaded intestional problems either almost immediately or within 12 hours. I also have to be extremely careful drinking this wine or I will find myself quite incapable of functioning.

My allergy to sulfites was diagnosed 20 years ago but gluten only 6 months ago...interesting. There are certain wines with more sulfites than others and some I can tolerate. I cannot have any medication with sulfur in that - something to watch out for.

I haven't had a drink of alcohol of any sort in 20 years - another story! But I remember getting terrible headaches from red wine, and I've had allergic reactions to sulfa drugs. I'm not sure they are exaclty the same thing, but I broke out in terrible hives from taking a sulfa drug once.

lifelong history of allergies, food intolerances, fatigue, depression, anemia

diagnosed with IBS - C in 2006

family history of celiac

gluten-free since 3/21/09

very postive response to diet

I have a reaction to the sulfites in wine or anything else. It is ridiculouse how many products contain sulfites and other similar sulfa preservatives. By far, the worst reaction is to metabisulhites.

I used to drink much more than I do now. It seems I can't tolerate alcohol anymore. Maybe nature is teaching me a little lesson.

Thomas

Hi, Im not diagnosed with celiac but have gluten intolerance. I have been allergic to sulfa drugs since childhood, and am also cross-sensitive with the sulfites found in wine and beer. Dried fruit also has it as well. Earlier this year I had a lot of issues with it but not lately. I will react with flat, itchy red patches on my neck, chest and chin area and with nasal/sinus congestion! Dont recall any gastro issues with me!