Rate this topic

My doctor who is an allergist, not a gastro ran only two of what seems to be the recommended celiac blood panel.

The TTG - IGA test was a .8 with <4 being negative.

My question is this: Would a TTG IGA score that low (lower than 1) mean that I may be IGA deficient and it wouldn't show positive ever?

Alot of celiac panel results of negative people that posted on this site had a TTG IGA score of 3 when <4 was negative. I haven't seen anyone post scores of lower than 3 when they were truley negative for Celiac. I just thought that maybe since my score was super low I didn't produce enough IGA and I will never get a true result. I had a TTG IGA done back in may, and the score then was a .3 which is even lower.

Just curious...if I was IGA deficient it would explain things. I know there is a blood test so I will ask the doc to run it, but does anyone know what levels under 1 mean? I tried to google search but have had no luck.

My doctor who is an allergist, not a gastro ran only two of what seems to be the recommended celiac blood panel.

The TTG - IGA test was a .8 with <4 being negative.

My question is this: Would a TTG IGA score that low (lower than 1) mean that I may be IGA deficient and it wouldn't show positive ever?

Alot of celiac panel results of negative people that posted on this site had a TTG IGA score of 3 when <4 was negative. I haven't seen anyone post scores of lower than 3 when they were truley negative for Celiac. I just thought that maybe since my score was super low I didn't produce enough IGA and I will never get a true result. I had a TTG IGA done back in may, and the score then was a .3 which is even lower.

Just curious...if I was IGA deficient it would explain things. I know there is a blood test so I will ask the doc to run it, but does anyone know what levels under 1 mean? I tried to google search but have had no luck.

I'm not sure exactly what a number less than 1 would mean, BUT for your reference my son is IgA deficient (confirmed with a Total IgA lab report) and his IgA ttG was 1. ?? not sure if this helps you?? They definately should have ran a total IgA, from the sounds of it, they don't know what they're doing.

Thanks Elle. I just found it wierd. I have classic Celiac symptoms but tests show the super-low TTg-IgA numbers. I thought that .3 the first time was low, and after eating gluten for 2 and a half months it only went up to a .8. It was two different doctors ordering the tests so I am going to take it to my gastro in December (soonest available) and ask him what he thinks. My allergist had ordered the celiac tests for me but I don't think he really know what to order or how to view them.

Either way I know it affects me negatively so I have to stay away from gluten. I feel HORRIBLE after eating it and have had too many classic symptoms to deny having a minimum of sensitivity to it. Stillbirth, brain fog, constipation, irritability, ravenous hunger no matter how much I eat, Gas, bloating, dental enamel defects (to the point of dentists being baffled wondering why it looks that way), always been 92-102 lbs, I am 5 feet tall...so short stature, always low iron and to the point of needing IV Iron if pregnant....etc etc etc.

I dont think that is an indicator that you are iga deficient. It just means that your body isn't producing much in the way of antibodies against itself due to gluten. I have recently had myself and my 3 sons tested. One of my sons tested with a 0 on the ttg iga test, but his total immunoglobulin was completely normal, so he isn't iga deficient. Another of my sons IS deficient and his ttg iga was 5 on a 0-19 score. The way I read your test is that next to no antibodies against yourself due to gluten are being produced. There is also the antigliadin iga test which will show if your body is producing antibodies to gluten itself. I myself was positive on both the ttg iga and the antigliadin iga.

If I'm wrong in any way here feel free to correct me but this is what I have learned having to read the results for myself when no one has a clue in my town.

I dont think that is an indicator that you are iga deficient. It just means that your body isn't producing much in the way of antibodies against itself due to gluten. I have recently had myself and my 3 sons tested. One of my sons tested with a 0 on the ttg iga test, but his total immunoglobulin was completely normal, so he isn't iga deficient. Another of my sons IS deficient and his ttg iga was 5 on a 0-19 score. The way I read your test is that next to no antibodies against yourself due to gluten are being produced. There is also the antigliadin iga test which will show if your body is producing antibodies to gluten itself. I myself was positive on both the ttg iga and the antigliadin iga.

If I'm wrong in any way here feel free to correct me but this is what I have learned having to read the results for myself when no one has a clue in my town.

Yes, I agree - it could mean what you have stated. That's why I wanted someone else to look at it. I think I am grasping at anything here. There is no way someone can live in daily pain. I feel like I am literally in the twilight zone and am so close to having everything in my life fall to pieces because I cannot keep the charade up any longer. I am in pain - period. Food does not agree/digest and there is really no safe food. I always get a high left sided pain after eating and can even show the doctors where it is. They give me two minutes of their time and blow me off. Something has to be at fault. I was hoping if I eliminated one allergen or intolerance others would chill out. I am supporting two young children on my own....if it continues that I can not function the long term results for them will not be good. I can't have that so I HAVE to find an answer.

HI SLB5757 I know you posted this a while ago but I am having the same issues and wondering what you found out. I am having all the same issues. I have all the symptoms but the blood test are showing everything to be very low.

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE AB, IGA <1 U/mL
IMMUNOGLOBULIN A 114 81-463 mg/dL

1 hour ago, mereditho123 said:

HI SLB5757 I know you posted this a while ago but I am having the same issues and wondering what you found out. I am having all the same issues. I have all the symptoms but the blood test are showing everything to be very low.

Meredith,

Welcome. The poster you are addressing has not logged in since 2011, which is five years. Chances are you will not get an answer back.

How did your doctor interpret your tests? 

2 hours ago, mereditho123 said:

Welcome!  

It looks like your doctor ran the typical screening test for the TTG.  It is negative, but you did not receive the complete celiac antibodies panel.  You can request the full panel to help you really rule out celiac disease.  Here is more information:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

1 hour ago, SLLRunner said:

Meredith,

Welcome. The poster you are addressing has not logged in since 2011, which is five years. Chances are you will not get an answer back.

How did your doctor interpret your tests? 

SLLRunner, she asked that I move forward with a colonoscopy .... and wanted to discuss all the results at once..... Which makes me more nervous! Any ideas on what it could be?

17 minutes ago, mereditho123 said:

SLLRunner, she asked that I move forward with a colonoscopy .... and wanted to discuss all the results at once..... Which makes me more nervous! Any ideas on what it could be?

A colonoscopy is not used to diagnose celiac disease.  An endoscopy is used to obtain biopsies in the small intestine.  

On 9/28/2016 at 10:35 PM, cyclinglady said:

A colonoscopy is not used to diagnose celiac disease.  An endoscopy is used to obtain biopsies in the small intestine.  

Meredith, this is very true. A colonoscopy is for diagnosis of the lower intestine, endoscopy for the upper intestine. 

How did your doctor interpret the tests?

I suggest you read the link Cycling Lady gave you because it contains a lot of good information. 

Thank you for the link. I misspoke ... my doctor ordered a scope ( which bc of the prep I thought was a colonoscopy but just google it and it's not). 

Ill update after its completed Wednesday!

Thanks!