alexa1

Gliadin Ab Iga Results Confusing!?!

Rate this topic

Hello,

I am new here to the forums. I have been battling with pancreatitis on and off for the last 2 years. My lipase enzymes are elevated for no other apparent reason, I don't drink alcohol and my eating habits are good. Anyways my MRI, CTscan check out normal. However my Dr started running other test and found that my gliaden AB IgA were high but my gliaden AB IgG were normal. My Dr says I have celiac disease, but I am not fully convinced. I do have other symptoms diarrhea, bloating, abdominal pain, fatugued, achy, irratible at times, low vitamin D. So I did go gluten free for 8 days I felt great (but so could anyone on that diet) However my Dr asked me to go back on gluten for the next 2 weeks he wants to run 2 more test at my requests- IgA Endomysial Antibody and HLA typing. I guess I'm not sure what qualifies someone for having celiac disease. I did have an endoscopic ultrasound to check my pancreas (it looked remarkable!!) they also did a biopsy which was normal. My Dr. said that could be because celiac can be spotty in the small intestine and they could of biopsied healthy tissue.

Any input is appreciated. I go in for the blood-work next Wed. Then I start back on the gluten free diet. He also wants me to see a nutritionist as well.

Hello,

I am new here to the forums. I have been battling with pancreatitis on and off for the last 2 years. My lipase enzymes are elevated for no other apparent reason, I don't drink alcohol and my eating habits are good. Anyways my MRI, CTscan check out normal. However my Dr started running other test and found that my gliaden AB IgA were high but my gliaden AB IgG were normal. My Dr says I have celiac disease, but I am not fully convinced. I do have other symptoms diarrhea, bloating, abdominal pain, fatugued, achy, irratible at times, low vitamin D. So I did go gluten free for 8 days I felt great (but so could anyone on that diet) However my Dr asked me to go back on gluten for the next 2 weeks he wants to run 2 more test at my requests- IgA Endomysial Antibody and HLA typing. I guess I'm not sure what qualifies someone for having celiac disease. I did have an endoscopic ultrasound to check my pancreas (it looked remarkable!!) they also did a biopsy which was normal. My Dr. said that could be because celiac can be spotty in the small intestine and they could of biopsied healthy tissue.

Any input is appreciated. I go in for the blood-work next Wed. Then I start back on the gluten free diet. He also wants me to see a nutritionist as well.

Welcome! It sounds like you have a very good doctor. Not all of them would know to look for celiac. Celiac has over 200 symptoms and some are silent celiac having no symptoms at all. One of my Celiac friends only gets a lower back ache when she's glutened, the list could go on forever! There's always a chance it is not celiac though, but wanted to clear up the myth that you need to have gastro symptoms. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!