SGWhiskers

Pumpkin Pie Adapting

Rate this topic

Pumpkin pie just isn't the same since going egg-free and casin-free. 3 years and 3 failed attempts. I need something that is yummy, sweet, a bit of crunch, and most importantly, that dense creamy consistency. I don't care if it is pie shaped, strudle shaped, or turkey shaped. It just needs to be better than what I've been trying the past few years.

I don't have speciality flours, but I do have several flour mixes that I sub in frequently in dishes. I would actually prefer a non traditional crust because I have not replaced my great-grandmother's rolling pin yet. I have jello pumpkin pudding in the pantry too if that helps with ideas. Hubby says it is pretty flavorless though.

Have you tried a vegan pie? I think this is the one I made for my dd last year. If I remember right she liked it...it was kinda dark...the recipe says spicey. Maybe you could mix some pudding mix in with it or use honey instead of molasses??? This year I decided to make a pumpkin cake.

http://veganconnection.com/recipes/pumpkin_pie.htm

You might google vegan pumpkin pies if you haven't already.

I just found this one on Karina's site and all of her recipes are amazing:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008...-worthy-of.html

Is there something in pumpkin that I should know about? The can of pumpkin says it contains....pumpkin. Is it maybe in the evaporated milk? I use McCormick pumpkin pie spice. I will make a gluten-free crust even though I haven't tasted one that tastes like real crust. I probably won't eat the crust but I feel I have to keep trying so I will pick a recipe and make another gluten-free pie crust. At least with a pumpkin pie I won't have to struggle/juggle with a top crust. Making pies makes me am little sad because I used to be considered a great pie maker. I was always the one who brought the pie.

Good Grief! Karina's site is incredible. It makes me want to start baking again. I've practically given up on baking anything except mixes, for frustration with adapting. But she has done the gluten-free/CF/EF work for me. Thankyou for that link. It has gone right into my favorites. I wonder if I can find buckwheat flour this weekend.

There is nothing dangerous in canned pumpkin. Don't worry. It is the eggs and evaporated milk that I can't have. (And the crust). I just had not figured out how to get around the egg and still have something dense and custardy. I'm going to give buckwheat a try if I can find it. If not, the other recipe is more complex than I have tried in the past so it is a better option.

Good Grief! Karina's site is incredible. It makes me want to start baking again. I've practically given up on baking anything except mixes, for frustration with adapting. But she has done the gluten-free/CF/EF work for me. Thankyou for that link. It has gone right into my favorites. I wonder if I can find buckwheat flour this weekend.

More vegan baking recipes that she has:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2005...-chip-bars.html

Cut them into bars and wrap for a to-go snack

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007...ookies-and.html

These are a bit too sweet and I use less choc. chips. I made a pizza cookie in a cake pan for my dd's birthday last summer. Best vegan/gluten-free choc chip cookie recipe I have found.

I think she has a vegan/gluten-free bread recipe too.

I have tried this particular recipe before. Of course it was delicious! As has been everything I have made from her website. :)

If you can't find buckwheat, I am sure you can sub in whatever flour mixes you indicated you have at home. Buckwheat is rather distinctive (kind of nutty) - but I think it would still taste good with a different flour subbed in.

Dawn