Lynayah

Would Like To Know More About Dq 1 And 3

Rate this topic

I would like to learn more about HLA DQ1 (and DQ3) and their link to gluten sensitivity, and I would appreciate hearing from those who have been tested for it.

I am a highly sensitive gluten-intolerant non-Celiac (Very High Gliadin). My DQ2 and DQ8 and biopsy came back negative.

All of my symptoms completely mimed Celiac disease (see my signature for the partial list).

Anyway, I've had a few folks here tell me I should ask for a DQ1 and 3. I would like to know more about how taking the tests may have helped others.

Right now, my biggest question is: If either comes back positive, will it really help me if I'm already following a gluten-free diet?

Of course, I know it would isolate genes that might alert my children to watch themselves, which would be important.

On the other hand, I worry about insurance. If something comes back positive, I do not want to put myself at risk with my coverage, costs?

Mostly, I'd like to hear your stories. Any personal histories, information appreciated. Thank you!

bump

I don't know much about dq1 and dq3--

As for should you be test for dq1 and dq3 - it will not make any difference since you have already seen improvement in a short time - seems you have your answer - live gluten-free.

That being said - your children may benefit if you know that you carry genes for intolerance - someone else will have to chime in, but I did learn that my pair of dq2 means that all of my children carry celiac gene - doesn't mean they are celiac, but that they can be -- if I had one copy my children could, but not definitely carry the gene.

So I guess the question is do you stay gluten-free, continue to improve and educate them on symptoms to look for. I also believe (but don't know for sure) that if you are intolerant of gluten, not celiac that gluten isn't causing damage to your body -- just giving you symptoms????

Hope others with more knowledge of the gluten intolerant genes chime in.

I don't know much about dq1 and dq3--

As for should you be test for dq1 and dq3 - it will not make any difference since you have already seen improvement in a short time - seems you have your answer - live gluten-free.

That being said - your children may benefit if you know that you carry genes for intolerance - someone else will have to chime in, but I did learn that my pair of dq2 means that all of my children carry celiac gene - doesn't mean they are celiac, but that they can be -- if I had one copy my children could, but not definitely carry the gene.

So I guess the question is do you stay gluten-free, continue to improve and educate them on symptoms to look for. I also believe (but don't know for sure) that if you are intolerant of gluten, not celiac that gluten isn't causing damage to your body -- just giving you symptoms????

Hope others with more knowledge of the gluten intolerant genes chime in.

Thank you so much, Lisa!