Guest Pcphipps

New & Struggling.... Celiac?

Rate this topic

Guest Pcphipps

I have been struggling with GI symptoms and other symptoms for over 15 years. I have been diagnosed with the following.... Yeah - these ALL apply.

Fibromyalgia - Hashimotos - Major Depression - Brain Lesions (showed up 2 yrs ago) - Asthma - IBS (severe - had adenoma polups in '00) - Chronic Migraines - Hietal Herna / GERD - Insomnia - PTSD (domestic violence) - Carpal Tunnel - Cervical Disc Disease and others... yes there are more!

I am 39 and have been on medication for ALL of the above for years. I applied for SSI-DI and was turned down. I went to a pain clinic and the Dr. told me he thought I had MS or Celiac. I explained that I had blood test for celiac (10 yrs ago) and spinal tap for MS. He stated that bloodwork very rarely picks up on Celiac IF it is even done correctly ?????

I am going back for bloodwork again - and allergy testing - which has shown yeast anitbodies (that is the only one they test for at the Fibro Clinic)..... Anyone have an opionon on my medical issues?

I dont want to be sick. I have 5 children, and right now no income. I am thinkging of trying for SSI again. ANY HELP NEEDED AND APPRECIATED!

Recommended test? Opinion from Celiac Pros? Thanks!!! :(

Your symptoms could be Celiac. At this point, you have nothing to lose by trying the gluten-free diet to see if it helps. Give it a strict try for 3 months. If it improves your symptoms, then you have your answer. I hope you feel better soon!

Your symptoms certainly sound like they could be attributable to celiac. If you are intending to have the blood panel run again anyway, here is what should be ordered:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

The total Serum IGA is important because if this is low it can invalidate all the other tests. If you intend having the blood work done again, don't stop eating gluten until you are tested. Do let us know the results together with the lab's reference ranges..