This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Afternoon Fatigue

SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I''ve been hitting a wall of fatigue and achiness at around 2:30 lately. I need some ideas to help get me through my day.

I've got celiac and probably fibro. I have caffinated tea for breakfast and a big lunch with protien and veggies and off and on with grains/beans(fatigue is the same on or off carbs). I switch to herbal tea after 1 or 2 cups. I'm exhausted from sunrise to sunset unless I'm engaged in a patient centered activity or if I get carried away and have lots of caffine. I can cope most of the time, but getting through the last few hours of work is dragging on me.

Yes, I need to deal with the medical piece of fibro, but while I'm waiting for dr.s appts, can you give me your hints for maintaining energy in the afternoon?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I hate to say this, but cut out the caffine and cut down on your sugar intake, and eat more protien. The caffine and sugar is causing some of the fatigue. If you can eat some kind of protien snack instead of having the tea that will help, well, at least it did for me anyway.

Also, are you drinking a lot of diet drinks with aspertame? If so, cut down on those too. I have fibro and and I read on The Fibro Network that aspertame exacerbates (spelling)? the fatigue symptoms. Anyway, I have cut it almost completely out and that has helped some.

Hope this helps and good luck.

YoloGx Rookie

Good advice! Caffeine and sugar both give false energy and actually end up depleting your reserves.

I also suggest you take olive leaf extract or leaf regularly (no alcohol however). It really can root out underlying cases of fibro--such as long term bacteria, parasites, viruses, microbes, fungi. Neem leaf can help too. First 2 to 3 days you might feel worse--but then that means its working--and you will afterwards feel much better. Just start slow and work yourself up as far as dosage goes.

If you don't have kidney or diabetes problems, L-glutamine can help greatly. Soothes and heals the intestines plus gives a big boost of energy.

R-Lipoic acid and NAC also will speed your mitochondria and give you a good energy boost. Many studies on this by the way.

And of course exercise--even it it feels like its killing you it will help--even if its just a walk.

Bea

Mrs. Smith Explorer

I agree and if you have any deficiencies, such as Iron, Magnesium or B12 you will get fatigue and muscle aches. I thought I had fibro, too but 6mos gluten-free and taking these supplements, all symptoms went away. I used to have afternoon fatigue really bad and no longer experience it whatsoever. B12 made the most difference as far as my energy level. If you are gluten-free your body is healing so make sure you get plenty of sleep and rest. I remember when I was first dx I fatigued very easily and now I am back to a normal activity level and do not fatigue easily anymore. Take epsom salt baths for the muscle pain if you over do it and rest, rest, rest.

inmygenes Apprentice

Caffeine is best cut out it will just wear out your system even more. Have you tried cutting out nightshades? - it might be worth it just to see if you have an intolerance. A surprisingly large amount of people are intolerant to them and they cause numerous symptoms.

Try and keep well hydrated and try some soothing herbal teas. How are your mineral levels? - are you taking supplements?

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I found a great dr who treated my fibro. She uses Dr Teitelbaum methods. I started to feel better in 3 weeks. I still have to take some medications but it's well worth the trouble. I fee better now than when I was 20. I have a friend who went with this method with excellent results also. Look under treatments for the Shine treatment protocol. I keep one printed out for any doctor visit.

I also went to the Mayo Clinic fibro workshop. Three days long which for a fibro patient is way to long. I did learn I was trying to do too much a day. The PT guy said to start with 1 minute of exercise a day. Increase when 1 minute is tolerated for two weeks. Other than that I really can't remember much from those three days because of the fibro fog. Mayo flunked Fibro 101 in my book but I have to say it was over 5 years ago.

Funny thing about Teitelbaum, my spell check wants to change it to Doodlelbug. I'd understand tidal wave but not doodebug.

Open Original Shared Link

Korwyn Explorer
I''ve been hitting a wall of fatigue and achiness at around 2:30 lately. I need some ideas to help get me through my day.

I've got celiac and probably fibro. I have caffinated tea for breakfast and a big lunch with protien and veggies and off and on with grains/beans(fatigue is the same on or off carbs). I switch to herbal tea after 1 or 2 cups. I'm exhausted from sunrise to sunset unless I'm engaged in a patient centered activity or if I get carried away and have lots of caffine. I can cope most of the time, but getting through the last few hours of work is dragging on me.

Yes, I need to deal with the medical piece of fibro, but while I'm waiting for dr.s appts, can you give me your hints for maintaining energy in the afternoon?

Kill the caffeine and sugar and no grains or beans at all. You need to check into Adrenal Fatigue. Take a look at the quick questionnaire at adrenalfatigue.com (I have no affiliation other than I have had tremendous life changes and improvements after beginning treatment for 'moderate' adrenal fatigue).

Also watch the decaf tea as some of them are NOT gluten tea and include barley grass or wheat grass.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbrookes Community Regular

I get the mid afternoon fatigue about 2:30-3:00. Quite by accident I discovered that a small can of V-8 and a couple of gluten-free crackers fix me right up. I think I must need something in the V-8, because nothing else works as well.dent, I discovered that a few gluten-free crackers (I love Mary's Gone Crackers) and a small can of V-

YoloGx Rookie
I get the mid afternoon fatigue about 2:30-3:00. Quite by accident I discovered that a small can of V-8 and a couple of gluten-free crackers fix me right up. I think I must need something in the V-8, because nothing else works as well.dent, I discovered that a few gluten-free crackers (I love Mary's Gone Crackers) and a small can of V-

Its true, it could be just a case of mild hypoglycemia. Mine is less prominant now that I have been entirely gluten-free for 2 years. But I still often do better with a snack mid afternoon. For me my easy favorite is sunflower seeds and/or yogurt.

Bea

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Thank you all for the suggestions. I only have one cup of caffinated tea most days, but I'll work on switching to all decaf. I was caffine free for many years in my teens and twenties and I didn't miss it. Regular and herbal teas are is exclusively Stash brand which is entirely gluten free (teas, not their cookies). I NEVER have artificial sweeteners.

Sugar. I keep hearing about sugar. Poop! I'm in denial and mourning about this one. I'll try the paleo diet longer to cut out the sugar from grains and beans. I lost weight and had less gas which was a bonus when I did a trial run with the paleo diet. Can I keep eating my fruit? Rhumy said no. I managed to cut back to 1 or 2 a day instead of 3-5. I don't tend to have much in the way of sugar/corn syrup (one or two servings per week) I'm keeping my sugar through the holidays though. Come to think of it, I had a lot of sugar the past week or two. I really am in denial about this one.

Night shades, is it possible/likely to test negative for night shade allergies and still have an intolerance?

Olive, Neem, R-lipolic, l-glutamine, NAC: I'll work on adding those. I've seen yours and others post about some of those and I've been curious. My stomach just hates pills and I've been avoiding them (including all my vitamins). I still test in the "normal" range on all my vitamins for what that is worth. Maybe I can find a gluten-free liquid.

Adrenal fatigue: I swear, I'm there.

I'm researching Dr. Doodlebug's information as tonight's project. Well, that and burning dinner.

Protien snack at 2:00. That is easy. V8 and crackers. That will be the last one I try. I disllike V8 and crackers and cutting sugar don't mix.

YoloGx Rookie
Thank you all for the suggestions. I only have one cup of caffinated tea most days, but I'll work on switching to all decaf. I was caffine free for many years in my teens and twenties and I didn't miss it. Regular and herbal teas are is exclusively Stash brand which is entirely gluten free (teas, not their cookies). I NEVER have artificial sweeteners.

Sugar. I keep hearing about sugar. Poop! I'm in denial and mourning about this one. I'll try the paleo diet longer to cut out the sugar from grains and beans. I lost weight and had less gas which was a bonus when I did a trial run with the paleo diet. Can I keep eating my fruit? Rhumy said no. I managed to cut back to 1 or 2 a day instead of 3-5. I don't tend to have much in the way of sugar/corn syrup (one or two servings per week) I'm keeping my sugar through the holidays though. Come to think of it, I had a lot of sugar the past week or two. I really am in denial about this one.

Night shades, is it possible/likely to test negative for night shade allergies and still have an intolerance?

Olive, Neem, R-lipolic, l-glutamine, NAC: I'll work on adding those. I've seen yours and others post about some of those and I've been curious. My stomach just hates pills and I've been avoiding them (including all my vitamins). I still test in the "normal" range on all my vitamins for what that is worth. Maybe I can find a gluten-free liquid.

Adrenal fatigue: I swear, I'm there.

I'm researching Dr. Doodlebug's information as tonight's project. Well, that and burning dinner.

Protien snack at 2:00. That is easy. V8 and crackers. That will be the last one I try. I disllike V8 and crackers and cutting sugar don't mix.

Sounds like you are on the path towards better health! Let us all know if you start feeling better--or not!

Bea

• 2 weeks later...
StacyA Enthusiast

A regular routine of exercise and sunlight may also help. Exercise builds energy - although at first it feels like a catch-22 because you don't have the energy to exercise. If you don't get natural light, consider checking into a full-spectrum light (you need to find the actual phrase 'full spectrum') - you can get a cheap $14 bulb you put in a light and have on for a few hours during the day, or an expensive $100 to $200 light box you use just in the am. However, if you or someone near the light has bipolar disorder, the light can trigger manic episodes. Read directions carefully if you look into full spectrum lighting.

NE Mom Apprentice

I was dx'd with Fibro two years ago. I'm not willing to settle for a life of feeling 40 years older than I am so I started a gluten free diet a week ago. My brain fog has already cleared up.

I was severely deficient in Vitamin D when I was first dx'd. I took a large RX dose for three months and now take 2000 IU's daily. this has really helped with the fatigue. I also found I was lactose intolerant so I avoid dairy which helps with fatigue as well.

Archived