This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burger King!

LLatham

LLatham Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

French Fries?!

Can anyone confirm they are fried separately?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

EmilyR83 Rookie

they are not fried seperatly at the BK by my house.

ciavyn Contributor

I'm pretty sure they are fried with the onion rings, and someone told me that they have a coating on them that contains gluten. It stinks, too, because I LOVE their french fries.

lovegrov Collaborator

Come on folks, let's at least pay attention to what the company says. The fries do NOT have a wheat coating. Check put the ingredients. They are definitely fried in a dedicated fryer separate from the onion rings. However, as with any fast food place, watch out for CC.

richard

ciavyn Contributor

Come on folks, let's at least pay attention to what the company says. The fries do NOT have a wheat coating. Check put the ingredients. They are definitely fried in a dedicated fryer separate from the onion rings. However, as with any fast food place, watch out for CC.

richard

Richard - we do, but sometimes we hear things on here or other gluten free boards or friends, and we trust that it's true. I'm glad to see I'm wrong about the coating, but I've yet to see dedicated fries fryer, when BK also serves onion rings. Believe you me, I like BK SO much better than McD and would prefer to go there! So perhaps some do, but mine around my area don't. :(

Glamour Explorer

You have to wonder how diligent, if at all, many of these restaurants follow their own stated policies. When I ask the workers, what items are gluten free, or if they have a list, they look at you like you are speaking in tongues. If they are this unaware, how can they be keeping things in separate cookers, if they don't understand why? I asked at several places if they use separate cookers, and the reply was "why should we, we just use the one that is empty".

If a manager in the know, is not policing employees,much less educating them, then doubt the policies are being followed.

I am sure it varies widely from franchise to franchise, and within shifts.

cbear6301 Explorer

Exactly why I am hesitant to eat out at fast food places... the workers always look at you like you are speaking a foreign language..or in tongues... loved that...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BethJ Rookie

I haven't been back there since going gluten-free. The last time I ate at Burger King, I had a big fat onion ring mixed in with my fries. I thought, "Yay, I love their onion rings!" If that happened now, I'd cry. I would be terrified of CC no matter how many dedicated fryers they have.

hermitgirl Contributor

When I worked at Burger King, they did not have a designated fryer. Also, the onion rings are placed directly next to the fries, which is why many people find fries in their rings and rings in their fries. The only thing that had a truly designated fryer was the fish, as no one wants their chicken smelling like fish. Sonic also says their fries are gluten free, but they fry them with the onion rings as well as tater tots. I have never found a location that has a designated fryer. I also find it interesting that Wendys FINALLY took fries of their gluten free options, as I had yet to find one with a designated fryer either.

twe0708 Community Regular

If you live on the East Coast, Five Guys has fried you can eat! Florida and Washington D.C. area

Archived