This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Think I'M Still Consuming Gluten Somewhere, But Where?

c12

c12 Rookie

I went gluten-free a few months ago, and have been seeing improvement. But I'm still having a some (milder) issues and I think I'm getting traces of gluten somewhere. I've been doing my best with reading labels, but I'm still not an expert at it yet. I went through my pantry trying to find the problem foods, but nothing's jumped out at me yet.

Are there any unusual places to look for gluten that most people wouldn't think of? What are some foods that people commonly get unknowingly glutened with?

I just need some suggestions for what I might be missing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Some jams and preserves are thickened with gluten. also be sure to check all relishes and sauces. It is hard for me to remember now because everything gets tossed or doesn't come in in the first place. Really, you do just have to look at every label :(

ciavyn Contributor

From what I understand, it could also just be that your system needs more time. Every instance I have of a symptom, I'm looking around for something explain it! But lately, I've only been eating whole foods, and the reality is, I'm just not healed up yet. It's better, but not perfect.

GFinDC Veteran

You could have other food intolerances also. Carrots are bad for me, and soy, and dairy. Some people have problems with nightshades, or eggs etc.

Vitamin pills are a possible source of gluten, salad dressings, really about any processed food could have gluten added. Then there is cross contamination to think about, at a food manufacturer or in your own home.

A simple whole foods diet is the simplest way to go IMHO.

koolkat222 Newbie

Be sure to keep an eye out for cross-contamination. Remember- all it takes is a crumb. :o

Sweetea888 Newbie

Gluten is hidden in many, many products that you would not ordinarily think contain it. Check vitamins, medicines, salad dressings, margarine, coffee creamer, spices, to name a few.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Have you replaced any scratched non-stick pots and pans, cast iron pans, wooden utensils/cutting boards, and other items that have porous surfaces? If you toast gluten-free bread, did you buy a dedicated gluten-free toaster?

I just read a post about vegetable oils being processed on the same equipment with wheat germ oil! Nothing would surprise me now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Recheck everything - prescription medications, vitamins, salad dressing, face & hand lotion. I've been gluten free for four months then I started feeling worse & worse. I was even thinking I had another disease. :huh: After two weeks of just wasting away, I wondered if it was my new medication - synthriod. It was the only thing that changed in my diet. And it was. I'm feeling so much better since I've been off it. My doctor changed it to a gluten free brand. So recheck everything. Even watch out for products that have gluten free ingredients, but are made on shared lines. They can be a little more harder to spot. Right now I'm only eating fresh whole foods. And avoiding all oils & spices until my intestines heal. If you haven't tried this already, it might help you to heal faster. And maybe avoiding dairy might be helpful, too. I can't drink whole milk right now because of serious bloating, but I can have a little butter & yogurt.

My dietitian (also a celiac) recommended me to eat yogurt twice a day (morning & night). It helps to heal the gut, too.

Another good tip is keep a food dairy if you haven't started one already. Write down everything- what foods you eat, how you feel & what you do. I'm sure you'll figure it out. I know it's hard when you don't feel good. It could be that it's taking you a while to heal depending on how long you had the disease or that you're still getting gluten somewhere, but it never hurts to check everything.

My motto is if in doubt, call the company. Gluten can hide in "Flavoring/s, Natural Flavoring, Spices, Modified Food Starch, Seasonings, Brown Rice Syrup (could be barley). These are all questionable ingredients & you have to call the company unless it's an "ingredient friendly" food company like Kraft or Unilever. Keep a log of all the companies you called along with the date. Also, ask about "CC" and shared lines.

I hope you feel better soon! ;)

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Soy sauce, root beer, orange soda, wine coolers, fake coffee, twizzlers candy, spaghetti sauce, bouillon cubes, soups, careful about low fat items, processed foods, rice krispies, anything that touches something gluten, vitamin e, some meats can be injected with bouillon that isn't gluten free, partners glutened mouth, shampoo, cream rinse, oats!

Any processed food can have gluten so you do have to read labels.

misslexi Apprentice

When I first started going gluten free a few weeks ago, I got really sick too. I couldn't figure out what it was...turned out the garlic I used in some sauce I made had gluten in it. Make sure you check all your spices, gluten is sneaky.

c12 Rookie

Thanks for the ideas. I just checked my bathroom and found that my deodorant has barley extract - looks like that could be a culprit!

CarbQueen Newbie

I went gluten-free a few months ago, and have been seeing improvement. But I'm still having a some (milder) issues and I think I'm getting traces of gluten somewhere. I've been doing my best with reading labels, but I'm still not an expert at it yet. I went through my pantry trying to find the problem foods, but nothing's jumped out at me yet.

Are there any unusual places to look for gluten that most people wouldn't think of? What are some foods that people commonly get unknowingly glutened with?

I just need some suggestions for what I might be missing.

Be careful with items that say traces of such and such. Especially, if you may/maynot be allergic to it. I am allergic to items that never bothered me before.

For several months I thought I was just getting gluttened although I was being ultra cautious. Then, a light bulb went off....I must be allergic to something.

After eating strawberries, nuts, and grapes for 50 years, I am now allergic to them. The grapes were increasing yeast infections.

I am scheduled to see an allergist next week to confirm what I already suspect.

During the last 3 months I changed shampoos, toothpaste, haircoloring products, makeup, soap, detergent, gum,etc.

I use gluten free vitamins and meds.

For the past 2 months I have been making every dish from scratch with organic and gluten free items. That brought the greatest relief.

6ft6 Newbie

I started having random problems and I am ultra careful. My workplace changed the hand soap in the bathrooms. It has vitamin E added. Ingredient: tocopherol. Now I have to use my own hand soap. Tocopherol is in everything and if it is not indicated that it was derived from something other than wheat, don't use the product. Also, look out for soy and casein. If you a really sensitive celiac, those can give you the same reaction if not worse. I didn't use to have a problem with those items, but now I do.

jabberwife Explorer

I started having random problems and I am ultra careful. My workplace changed the hand soap in the bathrooms. It has vitamin E added. Ingredient: tocopherol. Now I have to use my own hand soap. Tocopherol is in everything and if it is not indicated that it was derived from something other than wheat, don't use the product. Also, look out for soy and casein. If you a really sensitive celiac, those can give you the same reaction if not worse. I didn't use to have a problem with those items, but now I do.

OMG. I never thought about soap at work. I am going to have to check that! I check everything at home, generally, but never even considered this. Thanks!

horsegirl Enthusiast

Other things I discovered too: don't share any condiments or anything else out of a jar unless it's completely dedicated to being gluten free (no shared knives, etc). Don't let someone eating a sandwich on wheat bread reach into the same bag of chips you're going to eat out of (or any other package of food). Make sure hands are washed between handling gluten-y things & dishes, utensils, cups, other foods, etc

(both your hands & those of anyone helping you). Cross contamination can be a big culprit if you're not careful. All it takes is a tiny crumb that you didn't even notice to make you sick for a couple of weeks.

horsegirl Enthusiast

Good luck!

CecilyF Rookie

Lipstick! And this girl has gotta have her lipstick. :D Burts Bees is gluten-free and I have found some MAC lipstick that's gluten-free.

gfinchandler Newbie

Other things I discovered too: don't share any condiments or anything else out of a jar unless it's completely dedicated to being gluten free (no shared knives, etc). Don't let someone eating a sandwich on wheat bread reach into the same bag of chips you're going to eat out of (or any other package of food). Make sure hands are washed between handling gluten-y things & dishes, utensils, cups, other foods, etc

(both your hands & those of anyone helping you). Cross contamination can be a big culprit if you're not careful. All it takes is a tiny crumb that you didn't even notice to make you sick for a couple of weeks.

This one freaked me out! I've thought of the shared knife in the mayonaise or butter, but I hadn't thought of someone who is eating gluten reaching into the same chip bag. Wow. It's so overwhelming to keep track of!

gfinchandler Newbie

Lipstick! And this girl has gotta have her lipstick. :D Burts Bees is gluten-free and I have found some MAC lipstick that's gluten-free.

I just did the same research--I was so bummed when I thought I would have to give up my Mac lipstick, too--and some of them I did have to get rid of, but luckily my favorites turned out to be gluten free, thank goodness!

horsegirl Enthusiast

This one freaked me out! I've thought of the shared knife in the mayonaise or butter, but I hadn't thought of someone who is eating gluten reaching into the same chip bag. Wow. It's so overwhelming to keep track of!

Sorry, wasn't trying to freak you out! Just another caution, depending on how sensitive you are. I realized that was causing some problems for me, so now my family shakes some chips out, or has clean hands before dipping in the bag. It works!

Archived