bluebonnet

Rice Chex As Bread Crumbs

Rate this topic

not sure if anyone has tried this before but i wanted to share it just incase ... i made tuna melts last night and the recipe called for breadcrumbs. i crushed up some gluten free rice chex cereal (same amount recipe called for with the breadcrumbs). it was really good! i didn't worry about the consistency all that much ... it wasn't "dust" but i wouldn't say i went to the trouble of making them as small as breadcrumbs would be. i just crushed them in my hands until i got the 1/2 cup i needed and added it to my recipe. i'm gonna try it on meatballs next time. :)

not sure if anyone has tried this before but i wanted to share it just incase ... i made tuna melts last night and the recipe called for breadcrumbs. i crushed up some gluten free rice chex cereal (same amount recipe called for with the breadcrumbs). it was really good! i didn't worry about the consistency all that much ... it wasn't "dust" but i wouldn't say i went to the trouble of making them as small as breadcrumbs would be. i just crushed them in my hands until i got the 1/2 cup i needed and added it to my recipe. i'm gonna try it on meatballs next time. :)

Love cooking with cereal! Corn flakes (gluten-free of course) are good as a coating on chicken & then bake.

I use rice chex crumbs when I make Chicken Parmesan. My non-gluten free family could not tell the difference.

I use rice chex crumbs when I make Chicken Parmesan. My non-gluten free family could not tell the difference.

I buy the chicken tenders or skinless/boneless chicken breasts and cut them into tenders and dip in beaten egg then into seasoned crushed rice chex and bake at 350. We use a honey mustard dip - they are very yummy and very safe!

I used gluten-free rice chex to top a chicken & rice casserole the other night. Delicious!

I buy the chicken tenders or skinless/boneless chicken breasts and cut them into tenders and dip in beaten egg then into seasoned crushed rice chex and bake at 350. We use a honey mustard dip - they are very yummy and very safe!

wow, this sounds really good! i'm gonna make that too! then it will feel like fried chicken tenders ... i'll bake them and some home fries. yum! :rolleyes:

I mixed crushed Rice Chex with brown rice flour and seasoned with garlic, salt and parsley. It was a great breading for walleye-I was a little worried going into lent without any clue about how to fry fish without gluten!

I don't know about other fish, but catfish coated in cornmeal with Cajun seasoning and deep fried or pan fried is great.It should work on any firm white fish. Good luck with Lent.

My first Lent without peanut butter sandwhiches was rough, but now I eat the peanut butter on Udi's bread.

mbrookes, Have you had any trouble getting the Udi bread? Here in Dallas, the Whole Foods are out of the bread and bagels because they say there is a packaging issue and don't know when it will come back. I was just wondering where you are?

As of this past Sunday, there was plenty of Udi's at the Central Market at 190 & Coit in Plano. And at the Sprouts in Murphy.

best regards, lm

mbrookes, Have you had any trouble getting the Udi bread? Here in Dallas, the Whole Foods are out of the bread and bagels because they say there is a packaging issue and don't know when it will come back. I was just wondering where you are?

I'm in Jackson, MS, where there is no Whole Foods. In fact, there is precious little in the way of gluten free food offered.

I order my Udi's from their web site. The shipping is expensive, but I order 8 loaves at a time and freeze it, so prorated it is not so bad. Ten seconds on defrost in the microwave cures it of having been frozen.

larry mac, I see you are in Wylie... so am I!!!! Small world. I did find the Udi bread frozen at Sprouts in Murphy and the Whole Foods on Preston has the bread but no bagels. Apparently there is a problem with the scan bar. They hope to have it soon.

I guess you must like the development that is happening in Wylie?? Small world...