masterjen

Effects Of Celiac On The Brain

Rate this topic

Hi,

I've noticed that since the symptoms of celiac started and during this early phase of going gluten-free, my thinking and thought processes are slower, I have trouble concentrating and staying focused on a task I'm doing (even if it is something I really like to do), and I have also noticed some memory difficulties. My head frequently has a mild-to-moderate sense of pressure in the temples and across the forehead. Are these symptoms there because gluten can actually affect the brain in celiacs, or is it the celiac disease itself that is affecting the brain? Are these "brain issues" something I can expect to eventually get better, or do they persist?

Hi- I think that you'll find that many people here had what we call "brain fog" like you mention. I put my keys in the refrigerator, forgot to turn my grades in (I'm a teacher at a college and gave them to the students but forgot to give them to the college- got in trouble!).

Gluten can have PROFOUND neuroligical effects on everything from mood to movement. After you have been gluten-free for awhile, it should get much, much better.

. After you have been gluten-free for awhile, it should get much, much better.

much much!

I too have experienced the "fogg" for years but was unaware of what it was. It makes me very hesitant to drive or make important decisions. I can't wait for this to improve!

Hi,

I've noticed that since the symptoms of celiac started and during this early phase of going gluten-free, my thinking and thought processes are slower, I have trouble concentrating and staying focused on a task I'm doing (even if it is something I really like to do), and I have also noticed some memory difficulties. My head frequently has a mild-to-moderate sense of pressure in the temples and across the forehead. Are these symptoms there because gluten can actually affect the brain in celiacs, or is it the celiac disease itself that is affecting the brain? Are these "brain issues" something I can expect to eventually get better, or do they persist?

These are a few things you could read through.

Food for the Brain... Click Here

Opiate Withdrawl from Gluten and Casein... Click Here

The Gluten - Brain Connection... Click Here

Gluten is Damaging our Brains... Click Here

Best Regards,

David

I got brain fog AFTER going gluten free but it went away after a couple of weeks. My worst neuro symptom was anxiety attacks for no reason. They went away after 2 days gluten free and I had been plagued by them for several months.

When exactly did you start gluten free?

When exactly did you start gluten free?

I went gluten-free about 5 weeks ago. And, like sandsurfgirl, this "brain fog" has been particularly noticeable since going gluten-free (and, now that I think about, probably it really has been ONLY since I've been gluten-free).

What did you replace the gluten calories with? Going gluten free is normally a pretty big change in the beginning and it's easy to reintroduce foods that you were subconsciously avoiding before. I'd think that 5 weeks would be an awfully long time to experience strong withdrawal symptoms but my knowledge of this is still quite limited in scope. Are you sure that you're getting enough calories and proper levels/ratios of nutrients now that you've changed up your diet?

What did you replace the gluten calories with? Going gluten free is normally a pretty big change in the beginning and it's easy to reintroduce foods that you were subconsciously avoiding before. I'd think that 5 weeks would be an awfully long time to experience strong withdrawal symptoms but my knowledge of this is still quite limited in scope. Are you sure that you're getting enough calories and proper levels/ratios of nutrients now that you've changed up your diet?

My calorie intake is a bit less than what it used to be, mainly because I used to work-out a lot (I currently cannot work-out as much yet because of muscle weakness and aggravation of headaches). I've reduced my calorie intake only to more-or-less match what I would have burned off had I been working out. My carb intake is a bit less than what it used to be, but my fruit and veggie intake is higher.

Thanks for the interesting - and helpful - articles!

I got brain fog AFTER going gluten free but it went away after a couple of weeks. My worst neuro symptom was anxiety attacks for no reason. They went away after 2 days gluten free and I had been plagued by them for several months.

Did you end up attributing your brain fog to withdrawal-type symptoms?

If you increased your intake of many different vegetables you might be experiencing an allergy related to one of them that could contribute to those migraines you've mentioned. Try keeping a journal of your intake an symptoms and cycle out consumption of different genera of vegetables.

I have had a bad week for brain fog - today i just wanted to come home again and I was only in work 10 minutes!! I am also looking forward to being on holiday from tomorrow and going away so I hope it will calm down a bit :huh: