Scott Adams

Mellow Mushroom to Offer Gluten Free Pizza - Celiac.com

Rate this topic

Mellow Mushroom to Offer Gluten Free Pizza

Celiac.com

In 1994 I was diagnosed with celiac disease, which led me to create Celiac.com in 1995. I created this site for a single purpose: To help as ...

University gluten-free movement gaining ground Minnesota Daily

Going against the grain The Daily Princetonian

all 3 news articles »

View the full article

GREAT NEWS for some Southern Celiacs. I was soooo excited and hoping they would have it in Carmel, Indiana, but naaaaaaaaa. Maybe soon. Hope so.

i just might have to make a drive across town for that. we love Mellow Mushroom pizza and i was sad that it was no longer an option for us.

OH YAY!!!!! A couple of years ago, our news broadcasted a piece about Raleigh being one of the top test markets. Looks like they were right!!! I can't wait to go check it out.

I went to a Mellow Mushroom in Raleigh this weekend and it was the best gluten free pizza I have tried yet! It tasted just like a regular thin crust pizza to me. They had a ton of topping options. My only wish was that they could make it with a different type of cheese. I asked about using cheddar instead of mozzarella because cheddar is lower in lactose. Our waiter went back to check with the kitchen and came back to tell me that the cheddar cheese has gluten and I could only have mozzarella. But I was so glad that he checked and I was impressed that they knew that info instead of just saying that cheddar would be safe. They had so many topping options that I'm not going to complain one bit.

The pizza was a medium size (only size option available) and was cut into 8 slices. I had leftovers and took it home in a box. The leftovers were good, but not as good as the first time it had been cooked. I could taste the bean flour a little more after re-heating it. Also for some reason the mozzarella did not bother me the first time I ate it, but the leftovers triggered a lactose-intolerance response. Could be just because I had cheese two days in a row, however. I rarely eat cheese.

For anyone that is curious the ingredients in the crust are: bean flour, rice flour, tapioca flour and starch, xantham gum, salt, yeast, egg, cider vinegar, sugar, canola oil, calcium propionate.

I really wish we had a Mellow Mushroom restaurant around here. But I will settle for going there two-three times a year when I visit friends in Raleigh.

I have been asking in Atlanta for the last 6 months and no test market here...go figure.

Mellow Mushrooms are everywhere in Atlanta, and when I ask, they look at me like they have never heard of gluten free pizza. Only one midtown store said they really wanted to offer it.

I have been asking in Atlanta for the last 6 months and no test market here...go figure.

Mellow Mushrooms are everywhere in Atlanta, and when I ask, they look at me like they have never heard of gluten free pizza. Only one midtown store said they really wanted to offer it.

They get their crusts from the Still Riding company. You can print a brochure and submit your local restaurant as a suggestion online. Maybe if you and several others ask they will start to carry the gluten free pizza crusts there. http://www.stillridingpizza.com/Suggest-A-Restaurant.aspx

PS: There are several locations in towns on the outskirts of Northern Atlanta that are carrying it already: Marietta, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and Tucker. So you may be closer to getting gluten-free pizza than you think.

I had Mellow Mushrooms Pizza last week in Birmingham, AL and it was great.

They get their crusts from the Still Riding company. You can print a brochure and submit your local restaurant as a suggestion online. Maybe if you and several others ask they will start to carry the gluten free pizza crusts there. http://www.stillridingpizza.com/Suggest-A-Restaurant.aspx

PS: There are several locations in towns on the outskirts of Northern Atlanta that are carrying it already: Marietta, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and Tucker. So you may be closer to getting gluten-free pizza than you think.