This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

But... But. I Though Wheat Was " The " Food...

clinton

clinton Newbie

I'm 38 years old/young.

I've always wondered... Is it the milk? The veggies? Maybe the peanut butter or too much protein?

Now I know. Crap. So many years of bloating and only now I'm told.

Just as I've been getting good at baking wheat bread and finding the recipe that works for me...

Damn! 90 percent of the things in my cupboard are packed with gluten???

And beer... Sweet light beer no more...

I look forward to the many recipe ideas from you guys.

Clint.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I'm 38 years old/young.

I've always wondered... Is it the milk? The veggies? Maybe the peanut butter or too much protein?

Just as I've been getting good at baking wheat bread and finding the recipe that works for me...

Clint.

Yeah, but, isn't that always the way :P Just when you get good at something they change the rules!! I used to make a really mean sourdough rye boule :rolleyes: Now I'm struggling to make something with a decent crust on it. But I'll get there :D

But Redbridge beer isn't bad, especially if you wait a while and forget what the other used to taste like :lol:

And you found out a lot quicker than me, so you'll have longer to practice your new baking skills.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Clint. Hang around and hopefully you'll learn a lot here. Fire away with any questions that you have.

By the way, there are a lot of food banks that would appreciate anything in your pantry that is unopened :)

Welda Johnson Newbie

Hi Clint,

Welcome to a new life! I'm 65 and have only known for a few years, though, of course, I had the symptoms since age 8. Meats, fruits, and vegetables. They work. No casein, whey, egg whites, milk or dairy, msg, and the list goes on. Be aware of all those other items which could bother you. I'm happy for you that you have learned fairly early on what you have. I substitute corn flour for anything which calls for wheat or grains. Best wishes as you recover and face your new and challenging lifestyle.

jackay Enthusiast

I'm 38 years old/young.

Clint.

I was so excited to find a bread machine recipe for 100% whole wheat bread that tasted delicious and turned out perfect every time. Now the bread machine is contaminated:(

buffettbride Enthusiast

Hubby switched to drinking Strong Bow cider instead of the gluten-free beers. He found them more palatable than trying to think gluten-free beer is the same as standard beer.

runningcrazy Contributor

Hey, sorry to hear it. It sucks right? But you get used to it. Plus, its worth it if it makes you feel better!!

Try Udi's bread. Or if you like making homemade bread, there are millions of gluten free bread recipes, and Bob's Red Mill has a great "Homemade wonderful bread" mix.

For beer-my mom drinks "Redbridge" gluten free beer. She gets it from a gluten free market we have nearby. Im sure you could find it somewhere or online.

Good luck!

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Welcome to the board! I was diagnosed 3 months ago just after I turned 40. Had this disease my whole life and was misdiagnosed for years.

Gluten Free Pantry French bread mix is really good and easy to bake.

I sobbed like a baby over Guinness. Haven't tried gluten free beer yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Welcome to the board! I was diagnosed 3 months ago just after I turned 40. Had this disease my whole life and was misdiagnosed for years.

Gluten Free Pantry French bread mix is really good and easy to bake.

I sobbed like a baby over Guinness. Haven't tried gluten free beer yet.

If you were a Guinness drinker, don't bother. Ain't nothin like it out there. Stick to cider. I sincerely hope that they make a decent beer soon!

kareng Grand Master

If you like sweet beer then gluten-free beer is good. Our big liquor store have several kinds. Would suggest you wait a few weeks to get the taste of regular beer out of your mind. In some states, Whole foods sells beer.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I don't drink beer very often, but I found the RedBridge beer to be ok. It seems to taste the best cold from the botter instead of pouring it into a frosty mug... not sure why but it does.

Archived