Mizzo

Reimbursement On gluten-free Food Question

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I heard that there is reimbursement from Flexible spending on Gluten free foods? Anyone doing this? I have gotten conflicting answers and it's a long wait on the phone for a person. Our HR is not familiar with it.

Maureen

Hi all,

I heard that there is reimbursement from Flexible spending on Gluten free foods? Anyone doing this? I have gotten conflicting answers and it's a long wait on the phone for a person. Our HR is not familiar with it.

Maureen

I know that if officially diagnosed Celiac, you can file for disability (can't remember the code) and the extra cost of gluten free food can be filed on your taxes as a medical expense.

Ex: Gluten free Mac and Cheese $4 - Regular Mac and Cheese $2, = tax deductible $2 dollars if Medical expenses are over 7% of income, raising to 10% next year I believe.

But that is all I know. Good luck!

some FSA's allow gluten-free specialty food as an expense, but some don't. there is a tax deduction for officially dx'ed celiacs, but it only kicks in if you are itemizing your deductions and the medical expenditures are at least 7% of your income.

I have also read what Heidi wrote...I am pretty sure on here. Maybe try looking under the search function. From what I remember of the topic it requires LOTS of paperwork and follow through. For me I don't know that I have the time...nor patience...to do that. Although it is an added expense it is TOTALLY worth it if I feel better!

Good luck in your search!

I don't think I spend all that much extra for special gluten-free foods. I do get pretzels & crackers & pasta. If your Health care reimb plan is like ours - I would submit it with lots of accompanying evidence of the cost difference (ad for regular Mac & cheese & receipt for actual gluten-free) & see what happens. Ours seems to see lots of paperwork & Ok things.