minamoo

2 Unexpected Places I Found Wheat

Rate this topic

I just thought I'd share that I have found wheat inbetween pure fresh chicken livers and also today I found wheat pieces in the lentils. I've been getting ill from eating soup with lentils in it and wondered why, now I know. The chicken livers are prepared with the other chicken intestines and wheat pieces makes its way inbetween the liver pieces which could be washed out, but I personally wouldn' risk it that tiny crushed pieces stays stuck inbetween.

Thank you for sharing such valuable information with us!

The Canadian Celiac Association specifically calls out lentils for some reason,

If using lentils, be sure to meticulously pick them over before putting in the pot to cook. Even if you buy them packaged, it is not uncommon to find kernels of wheat or oats (or pebbles) in with the lentils.
It looks like they have updated their site recently too - I like it! http://www.celiac.ca/crosscontamination.php

We dropped lentils a long time ago, but it would be so nice to figure out a way to test clean lentils in our diet. It is odd how many foods we dropped in the past thinking we had an issue with that food, simply not understanding how contaminated with gluten our food can be. It didn't help that the cross contamination realities can be quite difficult to find! We also have to be super careful with chicken, and it took me a LONG time to figure that out!! I kept thinking it was *something else* that kept glutening me.

Thanks again for the great information!!

I've found wheat in (gluten free) whole grain sorghum, corn, and millet as well as lentils.

I've found enough pebbles in bags of lentils that I always pick them over and rinse them well. I haven't found wheat in them, but I'm not terribly surprised.

I've found enough pebbles in bags of lentils that I always pick them over and rinse them well. I haven't found wheat in them, but I'm not terribly surprised.

Yeah, there's wheat flour in tomato soup too.

I eat lentils all the time with no problems. AWG has Best Choice Lentils on their gluten free list, so maybe I'm just lucky those are safe! I did notice that all the dry beans at Wal-Mart have the disclosure "May contain traces of wheat."

Anyway, Best Choice brand seems to be a good choice if you have it in your area.

I missed tomato soup so much. Then I discovered Heinz tomato soup in the 'ethnic' section of my grocery store with foods from England. It is imported and last I checked it was gluten-free, I haven't had it in a few months though. If you have a 'British' section like that in a store near you check.

Pacific natural foods has gluten-free roasted red pepper and tomato soup. I think they had a different tomato one, too. I have found these at a regular grocery.

Pacific natural foods has gluten-free roasted red pepper and tomato soup. I think they had a different tomato one, too. I have found these at a regular grocery.

YUM! Pacific foods roasted red pepper and tomato soup is awesome!! Better than regular tomato soup!