This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

As Promised, A Few Recipes

tarnalberry

mightymorg Rookie
Garlic Rosemary Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

-----------

4-6 yukon gold potatoes

1/2 tsp rosemary

1/2 tsp Garlic Gold Nuggets (or roasted garlic)

1/2 tsp kosher salt

chicken or vegetable broth

Directions

----------

1. Cube (but do not peel) the potatoes, and steam in a pot until cooked through, about 30 minutes, depending on the size of your cubes.

2. Using a mortar and pestle, crush the herbs together.

3. Drain the potatoes, transfer to a large pot, and the seasonings, and mash.

4. Add 1/3 cup of broth, and continue to mash until the desired texture is reached. (You may need to add more broth if it's too thick.)

This is my mom's recipe for mashed potatoes! We love it because the yukon golds are naturally buttery tasting, thus it's fairly healthy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Becky6 Enthusiast

Thank you so much!! These look fantastic!!

lonewolf Collaborator

Thanks Tiffany! These ALL look GREAT! I've been looking for a good rice pudding recipe - I'll be making this as soon as I can get the arborio rice. Thank you for putting in so much time to do this.

Liz

tarnalberry Community Regular

Banana Muffins

(a modification of my mother-in-law's banana muffin recipe, these are dense, but tasty)

Ingredients

-----------

1/2 cup sorgum flour

1/2 cup sweet rice flour

1/2 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup montina flour

1/2 cup flax meal

2 cups Perky's Nutty Rice

1 1/2 cup brown rice flakes (or an alternative)

1 1/2 tbsp baking powder

1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon

4 mashed bananas

1/2 cup apple sauce

1/2 cup agave (or sugar)

1 cup milk (or substitute)

2 eggs

1 tbsp oil

Directions

----------

1. Mix all dry ingredients together.

2. Thoroughly mix all wet ingredients together.

3. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well. The batter should be very thick. Add more milk sub if it's too thick (really hard to mix), if it's too thin, add more sweet rice flour.

4. Spoon into two one-dozen, full size muffin tins (which have been sprayed with oil).

5. Cook in a 400F oven for 15-20 minutes. Test for doneness.

• 4 weeks later...
Mango04 Enthusiast

I just made that cashew ranch dressing. It is so good!!!! I think I'll be making that really often from now on.

• 1 month later...

Understated Banana Bread

Ingredients

-----------

1 cup montina flour

1 cup white sorgum flour

1/2 cup sweet rice flour

1/2 tbsp baking soda

1/2 tbsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

pinch nutmeg

4 very ripe bananas

2/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup vanilla flavored almond milk

2 eggs

2 tbsp canola oil

1/4 tsp vanilla

Directions

----------

1. Mash bananas, and mix thoroughly with all the wet ingredients (including brown sugar).

2. Stir together dry ingredients.

3. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients and combine throughly.

4. Pour into a lightly oiled 9x4 loaf pan, and bake at 350-375F for an hour, starting to check for doneness w/ a toothpick at 45 minutes.

5. Let cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a cooling rack for at least another 10 minutes.

Italian Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans

1 can tomato paste

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/3 cup tahini

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup water

2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp rosemary

1/2 tsp basil

1/2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp ground sage

Combine all ingredients in a Cuisinart or blender, and blend until combined.

Garlic Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans, drained

3 tbsp roasted sesame tahini

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 large lemon, juiced (3-4 tablespoons)

6-8 cloves garlic

1 bunch chives, chopped

pinch paprika

pinch ground cayanne

Place all ingredients, except chives, in a Cuisinart or blender.

Blend 1-2 minutes, or until smooth.

Add chives and pulse until combined.

Trasfer to a non-metal bowl.

Let sit in the fridge, covered, for an hour before serving. (optional)

Veggie Rice and Beans

Serves 2-4

Ingredients

-----------

1 - 2 cups leftover brown rice

1 can black beans, drained

1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes

1 medium zucchini, diced

1 orange or yellow bell pepper

1/3 medium red onion

1 tsp cajun seasoning or chili powder

1/2 tsp garlic salt

1/4 tsp sage

1/4 tsp cumin

chopped cilantro

Directions

----------

1. Combine all ingredients except bell pepper and cilantro on medium heat. (You can start heating the beans, rice, and tomatoes while you dice the other ingredients to save time.)

2. When everything is hot and simmering, stir in the bell pepper, and let simmer for another minute.

3. Serve immediately, garnishing with chopped cilantro.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks for taking the time to post the recipes

a couple questions if you don't mind :P

for the banana bread can I sub 1 cup montina flour and the sorgum with something else..possibly brown rice?

and the rice pudding..can I use rice milk instead of almond?

thanks

thanks for taking the time to post the recipes

a couple questions if you don't mind :P

for the banana bread can I sub 1 cup montina flour and the sorgum with something else..possibly brown rice?

and the rice pudding..can I use rice milk instead of almond?

thanks

for the banana bread, you can, but the results won't taste the same. the flour choices there were specifically due to the flavors of gluten-free flours - many are stronger tasting, sometimes more bitter, than wheat, and my husband hates most of them. the texture will change a bit too, but I think it will still be reasonable.

for the rice pudding, yep, you can use just about any liquid. coconut milk would also work.

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks tiffany, I think I'll try the rice pudding this weekend. I love rice pudding and miss having it

Candy Contributor

HEY,I want some bread. It fills my gut up! But your recipes sound pretty good-I eat most other foods too. I gonna try to bake some gluten-free bread,but I need to gather up all the ingredients,the rice flr. potato starch, tapioca flr. xantham gum.I have to look around this week at a local dietary supply or maybe order online. I did make Arrowhead Mills gluten-free bake mix( brown rice,fava bean flr., i don't remember what else) and ate waffles all month,it also makes crumbly bisquits,and banana bread.I found some good recipes right here on celiac.com! Try typing in 'Recipes' in the search engine.

• 2 months later...

Sausages and Tomatoes

Serves 3-5

Ingredients

-----------

1 package sweet italian sausage (4 links)

1/3 cup brown rice

1/3 cup millet

1/3 cup amaranth

1 28oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)

3 cups chicken broth

2 tbsp italian seasoning

1/2 tsp salt

Directions

----------

1. Cut sausages into 1/4" slices.

2. Combine all ingredients in a large pan and cover.

3. Simmer, on very low heat, for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding water if necessary.

4. Serve, adding salt and pepper to taste.

note on ingredient substitutions: you can use a variety of grains here, but the 1/3 cup amaranth is *important* to give it an almost creamy texture without using any cheese.

• 2 weeks later...

Quinoa Pilaf

Serves 4

Ingredients

------------

1 cup quinoa

1 cup chicken or vegetable broth

1 cup water

1 chopped carrot

1 chopped bell pepper

1/2 chopped onion

2 chopped zucchini

3 stalks broccoli, chopped

1 tsp italian seasoning

1/4 tsp salt

(Tip: if you have a CuisinArt or similar food processor, use that for the chopping. Turns it into about 4 minutes prep time.)

Directions

----------

1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly to remove all saponin.

2. Combine all ingredients and bring up to a simmer.

3. Cover, and turn to low, letting cook for 15 minutes. Stir once.

4. Check for done-ness, and to make sure all the liquid is absorbed. If not, stir, and let cook for five more minutes.

5. Turn off heat, and serve.

jenvan Collaborator
Sausages and Tomatoes

Serves 3-5

Ingredients

-----------

1 package sweet italian sausage (4 links)

1/3 cup brown rice

1/3 cup millet

1/3 cup amaranth

1 28oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)

3 cups chicken broth

2 tbsp italian seasoning

1/2 tsp salt

Directions

----------

1. Cut sausages into 1/4" slices.

2. Combine all ingredients in a large pan and cover.

3. Simmer, on very low heat, for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding water if necessary.

4. Serve, adding salt and pepper to taste.

note on ingredient substitutions: you can use a variety of grains here, but the 1/3 cup amaranth is *important* to give it an almost creamy texture without using any cheese.

Tiffany--

Is the amaranth amaranth flour, puffed, seed? If I've got it, might make this for dinner tonight!

Tiffany--

Is the amaranth amaranth flour, puffed, seed? If I've got it, might make this for dinner tonight!

seed, just the grain itself. what's fun about it, is that it goes a bit 'creamy' because of it's size/starch ratio. for those of us who are CF, it gives you a bit of that cheesy flavor/texture without the dairy. I hadn't anticipated it when I threw together the recipe (I just wanted a smaller binding grain), but it was a pleasant surprise! :-) the sweet italian sausage (usually not my favorite flavor) was *really* a winner in this recipe.

• 2 weeks later...
Long2Play Newbie

Thank you for your recipes! Time to get cooking! :)

jenvan Collaborator
seed, just the grain itself. what's fun about it, is that it goes a bit 'creamy' because of it's size/starch ratio. for those of us who are CF, it gives you a bit of that cheesy flavor/texture without the dairy. I hadn't anticipated it when I threw together the recipe (I just wanted a smaller binding grain), but it was a pleasant surprise! :-) the sweet italian sausage (usually not my favorite flavor) was *really* a winner in this recipe.

Tiffany--

I figured it was just the grain, so that is what I used that night. It was really great! I ended up cooking mine for about an hour. The flavor and texture was really good...dh loved it and my dad asked me to make him a big batch and freeze it for him for later :) I used italian chicken sausage...favorite in our house. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Beef Jerky (The Original Recipe)

1 London Broil

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup worchester sauce

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon liquid smoke

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

optional - 1 teaspon crushed chili flakes or 1/2 tsp cayanne pepper

1. Slice meat approx 1/4" thick across grain.

2. Combine all maranade ingrediants, place in a dish, and cover

3. Place in refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours

4. Stir whenever you think about it

5. Place meat on oven rack

6. Set the oven to ~125-150F (warm setting on electric oven), keeping the door slightly open (you can use a folded up paper towl to prop the door open)

7. Leave in the oven for 3-6 hours or until meat is dry (check occasionally - time varies significantly depending on humidity and your oven).

Note 1: I don't yet know the best way of doing this in a gas oven - theoretically, it's the same, but I haven't tried it, having grown up with electric ovens, and only aquiring a gas oven after having aquired a dehydrator, which you could use instead of an oven, at an appropriately high setting.

Note 2: Don't substitute a different type of meat - well, don't substitute a non-red meat. Buffalo or venison would be fine, though drier, but chicken or turkey would need to be cooked lightly first to be safe since the internal temperature needs to get higher but it dries out more quickly, and fish is just *very* tricky to do and I don't suggest it without more specific fish instructions.

lindalee Enthusiast
Beef Jerky (The Original Recipe)

1 London Broil

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup worchester sauce

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon liquid smoke

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

optional - 1 teaspon crushed chili flakes or 1/2 tsp cayanne pepper

1. Slice meat approx 1/4" thick across grain.

2. Combine all maranade ingrediants, place in a dish, and cover

3. Place in refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours

4. Stir whenever you think about it

5. Place meat on oven rack

6. Set the oven to ~125-150F (warm setting on electric oven), keeping the door slightly open (you can use a folded up paper towl to prop the door open)

7. Leave in the oven for 3-6 hours or until meat is dry (check occasionally - time varies significantly depending on humidity and your oven).

Note 1: I don't yet know the best way of doing this in a gas oven - theoretically, it's the same, but I haven't tried it, having grown up with electric ovens, and only aquiring a gas oven after having aquired a dehydrator, which you could use instead of an oven, at an appropriately high setting.

Note 2: Don't substitute a different type of meat - well, don't substitute a non-red meat. Buffalo or venison would be fine, though drier, but chicken or turkey would need to be cooked lightly first to be safe since the internal temperature needs to get higher but it dries out more quickly, and fish is just *very* tricky to do and I don't suggest it without more specific fish instructions.

Tiffany, Thank you - I am going to make this and the other recipes also sound really good. What would the jerky taste like it I left off the liquid smoke? I bought a bottle ages ago and didn't like it but if you feel I need it in this, I'll get another bottle and try it again. Thanks a lot. LindaLee

Tiffany, Thank you - I am going to make this and the other recipes also sound really good. What would the jerky taste like it I left off the liquid smoke? I bought a bottle ages ago and didn't like it but if you feel I need it in this, I'll get another bottle and try it again. Thanks a lot. LindaLee

I think it makes a big difference, but there are a lot of ways to make beef jerky, and this is just the only recipe I have written down. ;-) You can certainly try leaving it out. You can even try sweeter varieties by adding some brown sugar or honey, or make teriyaki sauce to use in place of the soy sauce.

Most beef jerky does have liquid smoke in it, as it does add a bit of something quite classic to the jerky, but that's the beauty of making it yourself - you can change that! :-)

lindalee Enthusiast
I think it makes a big difference, but there are a lot of ways to make beef jerky, and this is just the only recipe I have written down. ;-) You can certainly try leaving it out. You can even try sweeter varieties by adding some brown sugar or honey, or make teriyaki sauce to use in place of the soy sauce.

Most beef jerky does have liquid smoke in it, as it does add a bit of something quite classic to the jerky, but that's the beauty of making it yourself - you can change that! :-)

I am going to make it with the smoke. It needs to stay refrigerated, right? I have the soy and wh. sauce, any special brand of spices? I guess the plain ones are all gluten-free? Thanks again. I have just been cooking so plain until I'm sure everything is gluten-free.

I am going to make it with the smoke. It needs to stay refrigerated, right? I have the soy and wh. sauce, any special brand of spices? I guess the plain ones are all gluten-free? Thanks again. I have just been cooking so plain until I'm sure everything is gluten-free.

I use McCormick's or Spice Hunter, but that's just my preference. The liquid smoke I've always gotten (and is gluten-free - haven't seen one that isn't) doesn't need to be refrigerated, but I haven't made jerky in a while... :-)

Cooking gluten-free, even from safe foods, doesn't have to be plain, you just need pleny of fresh foods. A stir fry with lots of fresh vegetables and a bit of oil doesn't need fancy sauces/spices - it can be fabulous just by having fresh, varied vegetables. :-)

Very Veggie Lasagna

Ingredients

-----------

2 boxes Tinkyada lasagna noodles

6 roma tomatoes

3 cans tomato sauce

1 bunch spinach

3 medium zucchini

2 small carrots

1 red bell pepper

8 oz mushrooms

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp fresh sage

2 tbsp fresh rosemary

3 tbsp fresh basil

1 tbsp fresh oregano

1 tbsp fresh thyme

5 cloves garlic

2-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions

----------

0. Preheat the oven to 350F.

1. Boil a large pot of water, blanch the tomatoes for 30 seconds, cool in a cold water bath, and peel.

2. Chop the roma tomatoes into small cubes.

3. Chop the fresh herbs finely and crush the garlic.

4. Combine the tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt, herbs, garlic, and olive oil in a wide pan and simmer until it's reduced and thicked a fair bit, approximately 20 minutes.

5. While the sauce thickens, thinnly slice (on the bias) the zucchini and the carrots.

6. Thinnly slice the mushrooms and bell pepper.

7. Wash the spinach and remove long stems.

8. In a very large pot, boil a large quantity of water, and add the noodles, boiling for approximately 3 minutes. Remove from the water and drain.

9. In a 9x13 baking dish, place a small amount of the tomato sauce, then a layer of noodles (should take about five across). Then layer the spinach on top of the noodles.

10. Add another layer of noodles, and more sauce on top of that. Spread the mushrooms evenly over the noodles.

11. Add another layer of noodles, and more sauce on top of that. Spread the carrots and bell pepper evenly over the noodles.

12. Add another layer of noodles, and more sauce on top of that. Spread the zucchini over evenly over the noodles.

13. And the final layer of noodles, and the rest of the sauce (at least approximately 1 cup), to cover the noodles.

14. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Check at 25min and cover with aluminum foil if necessary (if it's starting to burn a bit on the top).

Note: If canned tomato sauce is a problem (say, due to a problem with the citric acid), you can simply eliminate the tomato sauce, and use approximately 30-40 roma tomatoes (following the same blanching and chopping process), though it will take longer to cook them down (at least an hour).

mouse Enthusiast

Thanks Tiffany. My printer has been working overtime on this thread. Since I can't have soy, can I substitute Bragg's for soy? I really love jerky and have lots in the pantry that hubby gets to eat now.

Thanks Tiffany. My printer has been working overtime on this thread. Since I can't have soy, can I substitute Bragg's for soy? I really love jerky and have lots in the pantry that hubby gets to eat now.

Bragg's amino acids are still made from soy though. I mean, if you can tolerate Bragg's, yeah, use them, they'll work fine in stir-fries, but they're soy-based.

You can make stir fries and leave out the soy sauce, focusing on other spices (I'll use chili sauce and lemon juice, for instance) to make soy-less stir fries. Maybe a bit of rice vinegar as well.

Archived