Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GlutenFreeManna

How Tall Are You?

As far as Celiac stunting your growth/height, I would imagine that all that would have to do with when your body actually started reacting to gluten and how long it took you to stop eating gluten/figure out the problem. If the problem didn't kick in until adulthood, then I would think those individuals' heights would not be affected like a child or infants would. I would think that most people whose height would be affected would be those who had problems from very early on and didn't know what the problem was, so the malabsorption problems affected their growth when they should've been growing the most.

5'6 1/2".

I used to be at least an inch taller - I seemed to "shrink" about the time I had my first baby.

Growing up the doctors and many other people would say I was going to be 6' tall, but I didn't grow at all after I turned 12. (my dad is 6' 3" and my mom 5'1" :P )

im 5'1 ft haha not very tall at all :)

As far as Celiac stunting your growth/height, I would imagine that all that would have to do with when your body actually started reacting to gluten and how long it took you to stop eating gluten/figure out the problem. If the problem didn't kick in until adulthood, then I would think those individuals' heights would not be affected like a child or infants would. I would think that most people whose height would be affected would be those who had problems from very early on and didn't know what the problem was, so the malabsorption problems affected their growth when they should've been growing the most.

I agree the age at the time of onset would affect height. I'm 5'6", the tallest woman in my family. Didn't get sick until over age 30. My kids had weird allergies and stuff from early on. The boys are just over 6' and the girls are still growing but much shorter than I am.

4'11" I always thought it was cuz as a kid I had bad eating habits (I am 4-5 inches shorter than most of my family members) and when I was 16 my dr tested my growth hormone and told me I had ran out at age 12! Now I know it was cuz of my bad eating habits.....just not in the way I thought! :P

I'm 5'3 1/2" My mom is 5'5" and dad is 5'7" Interesting thread... One of my 3 sisters seems to have worse gluten sensitivity than I do (she has no insurance so didn't test for celiac, just tried the diet) and is a couple inches shorter than I am, but the younger two are both taller than we are and have few or none of the symptoms we have, so aren't motivated to even try a gluten-free diet. I can see patterns of symptoms back both of my parents' sides of the family that could be celiac signs, but since no one was tested until me I guess we'll never know for sure.

I wasn't sure where to post this, so MODS please move if it's in the wrong place. I'm just curious how tall gluten sensitive/celiac individuals are on average. I'm 5'2" and after reading about celiac disease possibly stunting growth I wondered if that might be why I'm short. Then again, the only other gluten-intolerant person I have met was very tall (probably about 6 ft.). This is my first attempt at a poll on this board so hopefully it will work.

5' 4" didn't have a chance for tallness. Everyone in my family is short :-)