This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kids And Gluteny Messes

lizard00

lizard00 Enthusiast

Have any of you limited or kept your children from eating gluten, not because it affected them, but because it was one of the only ways to keep your sanity? I'm finally trying my 10 month old on gluten, and she seems to be handling it fine, but I want to take her off of it just because I can't stand it being everywhere. I have been feeling kinda funky recently, and I'm wondering if it's because of the crumbs and messy hands!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

IMHO yes you could be getting CC'd from cleaning up after a gluteny kid. There are some of us who keep a gluten free house for this exact reason.

Even if your little one seems fine with gluten do keep an eye on her growth charts, if she starts to fall in percentile that may be an indication that she is not doing well with gluten.

K8ling Enthusiast

Have any of you limited or kept your children from eating gluten, not because it affected them, but because it was one of the only ways to keep your sanity? I'm finally trying my 10 month old on gluten, and she seems to be handling it fine, but I want to take her off of it just because I can't stand it being everywhere. I have been feeling kinda funky recently, and I'm wondering if it's because of the crumbs and messy hands!!

I know just how you feel, I have a toddler who will be 2 in October...he eats the same things I do except at nursery school where they wipe him down and brush his teeth before they send him out to me. Then I wipe him down again. At the beach on my family "vacation" (you all know I think it should have been called "Let's torture Kate session" but I digress) people (my MiL) kept saying "HE isn't allergic though!" and I kept telling her that it didn't matter, his drool was all over me. It took a serious glutening for her to snap into gear and start at least wiping him down.

In my totally dead honest opinion, as a mother AND a Celiac, I say switch them over the gluten-free. My son is still growing like a little weed, and I make my own cookies for him (flourless peanut butter but before that chocolate chip). He actually refers the gluten-free stuff now except for doritos, and asks for it at school.

It's worth the extra cost (which isn't much because my son just eats a little of my stuff usually) for peace of mind.

scarlett77 Apprentice

I was advised by our pediatric GI doc that we should introduce gluten to our youngest between the ages of 7-9months. According to her that is the window of opportunity and when they are least likely to "trigger" or develop sensitivity. Now she is a great doctor, but I took that with a grain of salt because there is so many theories and no concrete evidence. For sanity's sake I made our house gluten-free especially since my Celiac son is so young and his younger brother has a higher risk of becoming Celiac as well. I did introduce it during that window, but it was such a PITA I decided to drop it. Occasionally when we are out we may give him something with gluten, but not often. I really try to keep him gluten-free too since I noticed his eczema cleared since going gluten-free.

tarnalberry Community Regular

There is scientific study to suggest that introducing gluten before 9 months reduces the risk of a child developing celiac disease over waiting a year to introduce. But that doesn't mean you have to. I'll probably have my husband introduce her to gluteny foods out of the house when she's 7 or 8 months, and see how she does. We'll stay gluten free at home, but there's no reason for him not to share some cheerios with her when they're out themselves as long as she gets cleaned up before getting home. (And if there is a problem, we'll adjust. :) )

lizard00 Enthusiast

We have kept her gluten free until about a month ago. For the reasons that Tiffany said... it has been shown to reduce their chances by introducing it before a year. I don't cook foods with gluten in them, but she loves graham crackers, and she loves to feed herself. The downside being that there's graham cracker goo everywhere. Cheerios I can deal with, graham cracker goo is a little harder. I don't really feel that she needs to be gluten-free "just because" (and yes, I realize this is a hot topic around here!). Oh well, I should probably find her an alternative until she is a bit older and less messy! :)

Tiffany, is your daughter in a Moby? I have one and LOVE IT! She's gorgeous!

tarnalberry Community Regular

She's actually in a K'Tan, which is similar to a Moby, but much easier to use! She's not a huge fan of that cradle hold, but stayed long enough in it with my husband for me to get the pic! :)

You might try feeding her the graham crackers outside, at least while we still have summer?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StacyA Enthusiast

I won't buy graham crackers anymore because of the crumbs - there are sooo many crumbs and they are so light and airy that I would be so paranoid. 'Introducing' gluten for medical reasons is different than having a ton of gluten around the house. So picking your gluten areas or days or options may be a good idea - have Daddy give the gluten or choose teddy grahams over graham crackers, etc.

If you've already done your duty regarding introducing gluten enough to help prevent celiac's (I don't know the research, my kids are older) - then yes it's perfectly okay to have your child be gluten-free for your own health - not just 'sanity'. In an airplane they tell you to put the oxygen mask on yourself before a small child if the cabin depressurizes - because you're no good to your child if your health fails.

jackay Enthusiast

We have kept her gluten free until about a month ago. For the reasons that Tiffany said... it has been shown to reduce their chances by introducing it before a year. I don't cook foods with gluten in them, but she loves graham crackers, and she loves to feed herself. The downside being that there's graham cracker goo everywhere. Cheerios I can deal with, graham cracker goo is a little harder. I don't really feel that she needs to be gluten-free "just because" (and yes, I realize this is a hot topic around here!). Oh well, I should probably find her an alternative until she is a bit older and less messy! :)

Tiffany, is your daughter in a Moby? I have one and LOVE IT! She's gorgeous!

They do make gluten free graham crackers. I have a box but haven't tried them yet. They are called S'morable and are made by Kinnikinnick. The main ingredient is pea starch. They do contain soy. I have no idea what gives them the graham cracker flavor.

Archived