Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StacyA

David Sunflower Kernals Vs. gluten-free Honey Nut Chex

I made the mistake of trying two new things within 30 minutes of each other. I should have known better: Honey Nut Chex with 'Gluten Free' on the label; and David Sunflower Kernals (already shelled)- a ConAgra product with only oil and salt.

Two hours later I'm feeling glutened, which is the typical pattern, but I'm not sure which product to be leery of since I had them too close to each other. In either case I'm thinking it's CC, since neither had gluten-containing ingredients.

I don't have any other intolerances besides MSG - and this is not an MSG reaction.

Anyone react to either of the above products?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I made the mistake of trying two new things within 30 minutes of each other. I should have known better: Honey Nut Chex with 'Gluten Free' on the label; and David Sunflower Kernals (already shelled)- a ConAgra product with only oil and salt.

Two hours later I'm feeling glutened, which is the typical pattern, but I'm not sure which product to be leery of since I had them too close to each other. In either case I'm thinking it's CC, since neither had gluten-containing ingredients.

I don't have any other intolerances besides MSG - and this is not an MSG reaction.

I can't eat the gluten-free chex. Others on here can't either, and they say GLUTEN FREE all over the boxes, but.......notsomuch.

Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

If I eat chex I get very tired within 20 minutes. One of my glutened symptoms.You are not alone.

1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember

1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms

Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance

2000-osteopenia

2001-had stroke because of medications I was given

June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months

June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)

May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

I'm new to the gluten free diet, but I am thinking it might be cross contamination. I bought "gluten free" cookies the other day and did not read the labeling too well and found out later that the product may have been processed with wheat. I was annoyed when I read this and was mad at myself for not knowing better.

Companies should not be labeling their products "gluten free" if there is even the slightest chance there could be cross contamination.

If there had been no label saying "gluten free" then I probably would of double check more carefully I guess.

I find that for some reason the Honey Nut Chex don't agree with my stomach so well. I really don't think it's gluten though. For one, aren't the gluten-free chex products made in a gluten-free facility?

And two, it's been a consistant minor thing the few times I've eaten it. My wife eats it all the time, so we always have boxes of it, ie. I've tried it over a long period of time. If it was cross contamination, it wouldn't be a constant. That's the nature of cross contamination. It's either some, or more, or less, or none. But it can't be the same all the time.

I'm wondering if some of these reactions are to non-gluten intolerances. Perhaps to some of the other ingredients, or simply to highly refined products such as these.

I've tried all the gluten-free chex varieties, but mostly stick to the Corn Chex. Before they made it (corn chex) gluten-free, I ate Rice Chex for years. Every day with fresh blueberries and a little Truvia.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

We all eat Chex a lot and I haven't noticed any symptoms and I also recently had my bloodwork redone and my ttg iga was down from 88 to 9.

I just called General Mills and I'm waiting on a return call. I'll post the information when I get it.

41 year old homeschooling mom of 5

ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31

endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,

suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores

Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

Are you sure you don't have a problem with dairy? Have you tried drinking straight milk to see what the results are? Often people try the gluten free cereals and have a gluten-like reaction that actually turns out to be a dairy reaction. You can develop this at anytime, but many people notice it after going gluten free.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

My son eats all the gluten free chex flavors and is fine. no reaction and he is somewhat senstive we have found out. no problems.

Son officially diagnosed 3.18.10 with celiac biopsy results. age 12.

daughter, 10, diagnosed fructose intolerant 2009.