This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Where Do I Find Gluten Free Toothpaste?

Rdv22222

Rdv22222 Rookie

Hi everyone! I'm new here. Please tell me where to look for gluten free toothpaste, mouthwash, lotion, shampoo and conditioners,soap, and makeup? Also, what about laundry detergent? And fabric softener?

Thank you so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Most toothpastes are gluten free, but I use Crest. Dove shampoo contains no gluten and I also use Lubriderm lotion.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi everyone! I'm new here. Please tell me where to look for gluten free toothpaste, mouthwash, lotion, shampoo and conditioners,soap, and makeup? Also, what about laundry detergent? And fabric softener?

Thank you so much!

I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste and when I use mouthwash I get one that is alcohol free. Arm and Hammer Free and Clear is my choice for detergent and fabric softener. For skin and hair care I like the Garneir line, they will clearly label gluten ingredients. Dove and Suave are also good about labeling.

curiousgirl Contributor

I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste and when I use mouthwash I get one that is alcohol free. Arm and Hammer Free and Clear is my choice for detergent and fabric softener. For skin and hair care I like the Garneir line, they will clearly label gluten ingredients. Dove and Suave are also good about labeling.

Yesterday I created a poll on this site about this cleaning, cosmetic, and hair care favorites. I don't know where it is tho! Wrote to administrator and haven't heard back.

precious831 Contributor

I use Suave and Dove products and for toothpaste I use Tom's too. Right now I also have Kiss my Face toothpaste, does anyone know off the top of their head if they're gluten-free?

Thanks

Chakra2 Contributor

Love my Tom's of Maine toothpaste! I took awhile to get used to the taste but I've been using it for years now. I have a gluten-sensitive toddler, too, so I found California Baby soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and sunscreen in the baby aisle and I like their stuff -- very clearly labeled gluten-free. I get Tom's at Whole Foods and California Baby at WF or Target. Don't have much advice about makeup -- I'm still exploring that category but if you search here for old posts I think you'll find lots of tips and good brands. As for laundry detergent, I use 7th Generation from WF and don't think I've had any problems. Plus, not everyone will react to gluten contact on skin. I am more concerned about personal care products that could end up in my mouth by accident. But I did find these things called soap nuts at Whole Foods and I tried them on a whim and they seem to really work! No gluten, no toxins, less pollution. Kind of weird but neat!

I definitely had a noticeable improvement when I switched out my hair, face and body products to gluten free.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Haven't seen a toothpaste with gluten in it.

I only use salon quality products. Matrix Biolage and Enjoy are two that I like Redken has tons of wheat in their stuff but they have an anti aging line that has no gluten that's very good. I use Biosilk leave in treatment after I wash and condition. I think Biosilk shampoo and conditioner have wheat, but their leave in treatment does not. It's clear in a clear bottle and does magic on your hair. B

H2O Plus is amazing face care products. I've been using for 10 years and I have zero wrinkles or aging on my face even though I'm 40. When I was 30 I saw signs of aging and stopped it with their stuff. They sell it at Ulta and online. There are some stores too but not many.

Love Bare Minerals for make up. Also Mac lipsticks. Most are safe but check ingredients to be sure. The Longwear is great. I also use a lot of stuff from Benefit.

I use Suave shower gels for hand soap. My skin on my hands is sensitive and it doesn't irritate them.

Bath and Body Works don't have gluten. Not that I've seen anyway. Read labels to be sure of different scents though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

precious831 Contributor

I forgot to mention I also use Savonnerie, they have gluten-free (and top 8 free) lotions, soaps, lipbalms and shampoos. Sometimes they have sales, you can purchase this online. It's quite pricey but works really well. For DD I use California Baby, also pricey.

I also like Bare Minerals makeup.

Rdv22222 Rookie

I forgot to mention I also use Savonnerie, they have gluten-free (and top 8 free) lotions, soaps, lipbalms and shampoos. Sometimes they have sales, you can purchase this online. It's quite pricey but works really well. For DD I use California Baby, also pricey.

I also like Bare Minerals makeup.

Thank you.

Rdv22222 Rookie

Most toothpastes are gluten free, but I use Crest. Dove shampoo contains no gluten and I also use Lubriderm lotion.

Thank you.

BethM55 Enthusiast

Alba skin and hair care products and mineral sunscreens are gluten free. I also use Bare Minerals makeup, love them! I can't use chemical sunscreens, so I use the Bare Minerals as my sunscreen. They also have a powder sunscreen that works pretty well, although it washes off too easily.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I use Uncle Harry's products. You can find them in some food co-ops and health food stores, but they also ship from their location in Washington State. They are totally all natural. I especially like their tooth products, though not at all like regular stuff, i.e., don't foam (the thing that makes toothpaste foam is not good for you [sLS]). So if you're going for uber natural, check out Uncle Harry's. I also use Desert Organics shampoo and conditioner sometimes, though I like California Baby as well. We have really hard water here, so it's hard to get a lather on the natural products.

Good luck.

bincongo Contributor

Love my Tom's of Maine toothpaste! I took awhile to get used to the taste but I've been using it for years now. I have a gluten-sensitive toddler, too, so I found California Baby soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and sunscreen in the baby aisle and I like their stuff -- very clearly labeled gluten-free. I get Tom's at Whole Foods and California Baby at WF or Target. Don't have much advice about makeup -- I'm still exploring that category but if you search here for old posts I think you'll find lots of tips and good brands. As for laundry detergent, I use 7th Generation from WF and don't think I've had any problems. Plus, not everyone will react to gluten contact on skin. I am more concerned about personal care products that could end up in my mouth by accident. But I did find these things called soap nuts at Whole Foods and I tried them on a whim and they seem to really work! No gluten, no toxins, less pollution. Kind of weird but neat!

I definitely had a noticeable improvement when I switched out my hair, face and body products to gluten free.

There is a company called Beauty Control that offers gluten free face care and makeup. People can order on-line. I have use one of there products for years and plan to switch to all their products now that I am a Celiac.

kayo Explorer

I use Open Original Shared Link toothpaste because I needed something that was gluten-free and sorbitol free. My teeth have never felt so clean! They're squeaky dentist-clean every day. My last two dental appointments the hygienist remarked how amazing my teeth looked. I had no plaque and no tartar either time. All the diet changes have made a huge difference and I have good teeth (meaning, not problematic). Now I have great teeth.

Tidings Explorer

Does anyone know for sure if SENSODYNE does or does not contain Gluten? Seems like the only thing one can find is "we're not sure our supplies are gluten free" dodgey answers from the Sensodyne company?

Lisa Mentor

Does anyone know for sure if SENSODYNE does or does not contain Gluten? Seems like the only thing one can find is "we're not sure our supplies are gluten free" dodgey answers from the Sensodyne company?

Here is a previous discussion about Sensodyne: (although 2 years old, it's still informative)

Tidings Explorer

Thanks, Lisa.

Some of the posts quoted GlaxoSmithKline as follows:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding Sensodyne

Archived