This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Feeding "normal" People

K8ling

Skylark Collaborator

I usually make soup or chili and fresh buttermilk cornbread for glutenoids. Everyone loves homemade soup. Add a little gluten-free baking mix to the cornmeal if you want it lighter. Salads are great too. Last time I had glutenoids over I made Kirkland pulled pork with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce and rice and served salad. For desert, the Betty Crocker mixes are so good glutenoids don't notice the difference. Same with Pamela's brownies. I feed those to glutenoids all the time without even mentioning that they're gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

K8ling Enthusiast

Ok, Mother in law called tonight, and I told her that I really don't know what to fed everyone. Her reply:

"Don't worry! We'll stop at the store and pick up sandwich stuff and you can keep the leftovers!"

Me: ahhhh....well....I can't really eat certain prepared things.

Her ummmmmm

So it ended with me offering to cook a real meal (lemon thyme chicken, boiled baby red potatos and fresh snap peas).

You think family would adjust but...apparently not.

Lisa Mentor

People don't always get it....so you gotta wing it and just ....roll! ;) And don't let anyone know any different.!!!

MelindaLee Contributor

Ok, Mother in law called tonight, and I told her that I really don't know what to fed everyone. Her reply:

"Don't worry! We'll stop at the store and pick up sandwich stuff and you can keep the leftovers!"

Me: ahhhh....well....I can't really eat certain prepared things.

Her ummmmmm

So it ended with me offering to cook a real meal (lemon thyme chicken, boiled baby red potatos and fresh snap peas).

I think they just don't think. Unless you have been through the misery of how it affects you, they can't imagine what it would be like. Frustrating! But....maybe we are insensitive or careless with someone else's burden that they carry, without even realizing it. :unsure:

K8ling Enthusiast

Oh yeah, and since I haven't got any money left in the grocery budget to feed 6 people, I am waiting til they get here to go to the store. So they can offer to pay. Because God knows I need the help lol

bincongo Contributor

Have you seen the crockpot blog? Open Original Shared Link

I think almost everything she makes seems "normal" and it's all gluten free. I make "normal" stuff all the time like soup, stew, salad, tacos, stirfry, grilled meat and steamed veggies, etc. There's tons of food that is just naturally gltuen free (or easy to leave out the gluten without noticing). No need to feed them gluten replacements (which can be expensive anyway) like gluten free bread for sandwiches. Just don't do sandwiches. You could do quelladillas with corn tortillas instead if you want handheld food. And I wouldn't even mention what you made is "gltuen free" unless they ask where is the crackers/bread/pasta.

That's a cool site. I put the cookbook on my wish list for Christmas. It even has pictures of what ingredients to use.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

That's a cool site. I put the cookbook on my wish list for Christmas. It even has pictures of what ingredients to use.

Glad to help. I actually found that blog before I suspected gluten as a problem for me. I love how she never made a big deal out of the glutne free thing--the blog isn't a "gluten free blog" even though everything she makes is gluten free. I enjoyed some of the recipes long before I was gluten free and most don't require weird gltuen free ingredients, except a few recipes where she uses Pamela's.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emilushka Contributor

I had no idea that blog was gluten-free! I used to like her recipes even before I went gluten-free. I just knew they tasted good. No wonder they seemed so awesome - they didn't make me sick!

polarbearscooby Explorer

hell, just go for the bacon bar -- hickory smoked, honeyed, pepper, turkey.....

Oh My Gosh....That sounds like a dream come true!!!

(And yes I can feel my arteries clogging as I read that ;-))

K8ling Enthusiast

BACON FOR THE WIN! I even have bacon band aids.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I just had a gluten free birthday party for about 20 people. I made Tinkyada pasta, cut up cubes of Mozzarella, mixed in the mozzarella and pasta sauce with the pasta. Covered it with slices of provolone. Baked for about 25 mins at 350 until cheese was melted. Served with salad, cut up fruit. Since it was a party I did tortilla chips and salsa and Kettle chips with Lipton onion soup and sour cream dip.

I've done the taquitos and tamales from Costco for parties too.

Archived