This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did She Get Over It?

Roda

Roda Rising Star

My sister in law was telling me that my neice has been having some GI issues and has been seeing the doctor. I mentioned to her that my niece should tell them that her aunt has celiac at her next appointment. Well, I was chatting to my niece online this morning and she told me she was going to get tested. Long story short she is one of my brother's three children. My brother has GI issues and sarcoidosis. I'm convinced he has celiac. Anyway, she asked the medical person (either a PA, NP or an intern according to my niece) about getting tested for celiac that her aunt has it and she knows that it is genetic. The medical professional said to her "Did she get over it?" :huh: I'm still amazed of the lack of education. Luckily my niece is a fairly intellegent college student and didn't think that was right and figured that they didn't know anything about it. I am worried since she is continuing to see this group that she won't get the proper testing and information. I sent her an email of the tests she needs, some information and some reputable websites for her to do some reading including this one. I'm not wishing this on her, but there are alot of worse things and she can manage it by diet. Maybe this will be the wake up call her dad needs to maybe get tested. In the past he said he would rather be miserable than to give up things he loves. Sigh!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Not that anyone should have Celiac Disease wished on them.

Good to let your niece know the proper tests that should be ordered. She should know that celiac disease can hit at any stage of life and if she is negative now that may not be true for 30 years down the road. If she is positive then she has the knowledge to live a healthy life. Knowing how to treat celiac disease can help prevent a possible infertility issue too.

Roda Rising Star

Not that anyone should have Celiac Disease wished on them.

Good to let your niece know the proper tests that should be ordered. She should know that celiac disease can hit at any stage of life and if she is negative now that may not be true for 30 years down the road. If she is positive then she has the knowledge to live a healthy life. Knowing how to treat celiac disease can help prevent a possible infertility issue too.

I know someday she would like children. You never know until you start trying whether or not you are able. I told her that it can be linked to infertility. I just hope she gets some answers. And she knows it isn't something you "get over" that you stay healthy by avoiding the gluten.

Looking for answers Contributor

I'm so glad you are watching out for her and helping her to become more educated. I think she'll get the proper screening with your help. I can totally understand your frustration. I just read someone else's post on here yesterday that said his/her doctor gave her a handout that read: "while Celiac is a disease, gluten intolerance is a psychological disorder for those who need "control" over their food" or something to that effect. I couldn't stop thinking about that last night...it makes me shiver to think that there are doctors out there spreading that complete rubbish!

• 1 year later...
Roda Rising Star

Update on my neice. She ended up having a colonoscopy and they diagnosed her with colitis. They told her they would do the colonoscopy, and if it didn't show anything then they would test her for celiac. She never has had the blood tests done. I was home in June and I overheard her talking to her dad and mom. She is having issues again and she can't figure out why. Her mom was like, "it's just stress." She already has identified some foods that aggrivated her problem so she avoids them(she said chinese food really bothers her). She also mentioned that she had been avoiding wheat also before she came home for summer break. I guess she had been doing fine until coming back home and eating whatever. I really feel that she needs tested, but I don't know how she will take me suggesting it again. She still is seeing the same stupid doctors she was before and because of her continued problems have diagnosed her with IBS. I won't get started on what I think of that diagnosis!

Di2011 Enthusiast

This makes me mad.

I avoided breakfast for 30+ years

I didn't like pizza

I didn't like pasta

and it goes on and on...

I really hope that you give this girl some support so she doesn't have 38 years of "okay" but actually feeling like crap

I know it is hard (my 9y/o son has the "gluten free is bad" already :(

Roda Rising Star

She is a junior in college and, according to her, plans on going to grad school and enrolling in the Airforce ROTC program and then go active duty. Celiac would hinder that.. That won't stop me from mentioning it to her again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

That's a moot point, what her "plans" are, as she will be too sick to implement them by that time, anyway, if she's actually celiac or gluten intolerant and does not start eating like one.

Really no excuse not to get tested. Should fire her idiotic doctors while at it. Close relatives with celiac, relatives with celiac symptoms, and her symptoms, and no basic blood tests = medical incompetence.

Add to that if she's already avoiding certain food groups, she knows what her problem is, but is in denial.

bartfull Rising Star

Don't these doctors have computers or books to look things up on?!! I own a music store, and if a customer comes in and mentions a brand that I'm not familiar with, I look it up. But these stupid doctors are dealing with our HEALTH. You'd think they'd care enough to at least do a little research when someone asks about a condition they are not familiar with. GRRRR!!!!

Roda Rising Star

That's a moot point, what her "plans" are, as she will be too sick to implement them by that time, anyway, if she's actually celiac or gluten intolerant and does not start eating like one.

Really no excuse not to get tested. Should fire her idiotic doctors while at it. Close relatives with celiac, relatives with celiac symptoms, and her symptoms, and no basic blood tests = medical incompetence.

Add to that if she's already avoiding certain food groups, she knows what her problem is, but is in denial.

I couldn't agree more with you. I just hope it doesn't get that bad. She is so set in her plans because she wants the help with her mounting student loans. I told my mother that when the time comes they may not accept her anyway based on some of her health issues now.

Di2011 Enthusiast

That makes me sad :(

If gluten is her problem and she dealt with it now just imagine the great things she could do with her life!

You really are between a rock and a hard place.

Archived