This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tired From Corn?

Skylark

Skylark Collaborator

Anyone have food reactions where the only sign is tiredness? It seems like the day after I eat corn I can't seem to get moving in the morning. I have no other reaction at all, only the fatigue. Gluten definitely makes me tired, but I get a bunch of other symptoms that can include GI distress, mouth ulcers, and anxiety. Back when I did the elimination diet, I would always get a stomach ache from foods I couldn't tolerate. Does anyone else have this happen?

By the way the corn food was Fritos so I can't rule out CC but I'm not sure I'm that sensitive right now. I have been sometimes.

Oh sorry. I guess this should have gone in the other intolerances section... maybe a mod can move it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WheatChef Apprentice

Till it gets moved:

I notice much better energy levels when avoiding every single grain. The only one that doesn't seem to cause any sort of energy leeching is white rice in small amounts (but I don't even eat that now).

laura4669 Apprentice

I am having a fatigue reaction today as well, but I am not sure if it is from corn or from yeast. I had some gluten free tortillas yesterday, and some gluten free baked goods with yeast in them.

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks for moving this, mod squad!

I'm glad it's not just me with a fatigue reaction. It's the kind of thing where you wonder "Is this in my head?"

missy'smom Collaborator

This is what my kiddo reported as a symptom when we re-introduced corn after eliminating it for a while, based on allergy testing. He also had allergy shiners-dark circles under his eyes.

Looking for answers Contributor

For more than two years, I battled fatigue. I dragged through the day. Some of it was low iron, but the other missing piece was the discovery (through blood tests) that I was highly allergic to eggs. Once I eliminated them I'm proud to say I can stay up past 8:00 p.m.! My husband is happy now too because i can actually stay awake when he pops in a movie. He says I'm like a new wife now :P

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks so much for all the stories. I guess I'll try cutting out corn and a challenge on a day when I can sleep in if necessary. B) At least it isn't an awful reaction - just one I'd prefer to avoid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Thanks so much for all the stories. I guess I'll try cutting out corn and a challenge on a day when I can sleep in if necessary. B) At least it isn't an awful reaction - just one I'd prefer to avoid.

I've been in contact with Enterolab about getting some tests done... After the first of the year Enterolab hopes to be adding many more foods to their testing menu, including corn...

Skylark Collaborator

I've been in contact with Enterolab about getting some tests done... After the first of the year Enterolab hopes to be adding many more foods to their testing menu, including corn...

I don't think fecal IgA is well enough established as a testing method. Just because it's scientifically feasible does not automatically give it clinical meaning. I might look into RAST.

codetalker Contributor

Anyone have food reactions where the only sign is tiredness? It seems like the day after I eat corn I can't seem to get moving in the morning. I have no other reaction at all, only the fatigue. Gluten definitely makes me tired, but I get a bunch of other symptoms that can include GI distress, mouth ulcers, and anxiety. Back when I did the elimination diet, I would always get a stomach ache from foods I couldn't tolerate. Does anyone else have this happen?

By the way the corn food was Fritos so I can't rule out CC but I'm not sure I'm that sensitive right now. I have been sometimes.

Oh sorry. I guess this should have gone in the other intolerances section... maybe a mod can move it.

Do you know if you have the same reaction to organic corn?

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I think that just tiredness could be from low level gluten contamination. If so, and you continued to eat the stuff, your other symptoms would start too after time went on and the levels build up. I'm sure you know to try very clean corn for a trial, like corn on the cob you shuck yourself. I have found wheat in my bulk corn. There are shared fields, harvesting, storage and transportation issues.

Skylark Collaborator

Do you know if you have the same reaction to organic corn?

Good question. That's easy enough to test, although my understanding is that GMO corn and pesticides are in organic products more often than not.

I think that just tiredness could be from low level gluten contamination. If so, and you continued to eat the stuff, your other symptoms would start too after time went on and the levels build up. I'm sure you know to try very clean corn for a trial, like corn on the cob you shuck yourself. I have found wheat in my bulk corn. There are shared fields, harvesting, storage and transportation issues.

I thought of that too and I can't rule it out, especially since the most recent corn thing I maybe reacted to was Fritos. I can't get corn on the cob this time of year but I could buy some frozen corn, pick through it, and wash it well before I cook it.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

If something is more than a little contaminated washing well doesn't work. I guess it would depend on what you mean by well. I do triple washes with soap. Even if you get a positive result that way, you might want to try corn on the cob when it becomes available to be sure. I know I couldn't eat Fritos, and I can eat corn.

Archived