This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Newly Diagnosed, Can't Really Afford The Over Priced Foods.

tessabear

tessabear Rookie

Hi, I'm 18 and I've been newly diagnosed with Celiac. I don't really have a job and my living situation is, well, I live with a friend and pay nothing for food/room/heat/etc. The thing is my bank account is really at about 0. Me not paying makes me feel like I can't ask the people I live with to buy me $6 bread mix or noodles just so I can eat something that's not fruit, meat, or veggies. I have tried to look for a job, I have a few other medical issues that I feel people will not hire me for, but it is something I need to put out there up front since some are bleeding/clotting disorders and a pressure issue in my head. Any online places that discounted? I'm also just pretty bummed about the whole having this issue.

Thanks,

Tessa.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Salax Contributor

Hi, I'm 18 and I've been newly diagnosed with Celiac. I don't really have a job and my living situation is, well, I live with a friend and pay nothing for food/room/heat/etc. The thing is my bank account is really at about 0. Me not paying makes me feel like I can't ask the people I live with to buy me $6 bread mix or noodles just so I can eat something that's not fruit, meat, or veggies. I have tried to look for a job, I have a few other medical issues that I feel people will not hire me for, but it is something I need to put out there up front since some are bleeding/clotting disorders and a pressure issue in my head. Any online places that discounted? I'm also just pretty bummed about the whole having this issue.

Thanks,

Tessa.

That sucks. Perhaps food stamps or there might be outreach centers in your area that do food services? In all honesty the best way to heal your body is by not eating the processed gluten-free foods right now. I know the varity can suck, but it's doing your body good. I would stick with meats, veggies, fruits, rice, corn, potatoes, beans, nuts, and seeds for right now. (minus any of those you can't eat either) I am sure others will have ideas for you. This is a great place for us, so welcome and I promise over time it does get better. *hugs* :D

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

That sucks. Perhaps food stamps or there might be outreach centers in your area that do food services? In all honesty the best way to heal your body is by not eating the processed gluten-free foods right now. I know the varity can suck, but it's doing your body good. I would stick with meats, veggies, fruits, rice, corn, potatoes, beans, nuts, and seeds for right now. (minus any of those you can't eat either) I am sure others will have ideas for you. This is a great place for us, so welcome and I promise over time it does get better. *hugs* :D

Great Advice, but keep in mind there may be some other food that can cause issues too... It may be almost impossible to live with someone else and eat Gluten Free 24/7, if they aren't into seeing your health improve... Once Gluten Free for a while, you may find some or even all of your problems resolve themself... You may even discover some other food issues down the road.

Good Luck,

tessabear Rookie

That's a good idea, I'll see if I can apply for something. I've never heard of any out reach centers or anything. This seems like a really good community. :]

srall Contributor

That does suck. I remember the days of being so poor very very well...macaroni and cheese was $.25 a box. I am showing my age, and of course mac and cheese is off limits to you. I guess I just second the advice to stay away from expensive substitutes for now and eat things that are less expensive and naturally gluten free. That's going to help you feel better faster. I hope some of your health issues clear up quickly. If you are on the right diet, you should see some improvement soon. I wish I had better advice for you.

tessabear Rookie

Thanks all. I'll see if I can apply for something. All and all it seems like I'll just have to avoid everything that isn't gluten free. It's just hard to even enjoy stuff after having to eat a lot of the same thing over and over.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd offer to start doing lots of the cooking too. The sort of trying to contribute to the household deal. Shift towards rice, sweet potatoes, and beans instead of noodles and bread.

Maybe find a food pantry with a friendly coordinator and explain your situation to see if they can build a box for you. Previous posters have suggested/found churches to be good starting points. Offer to volunteer. It'll look good on your resume too.

Amazon often has decent prices on the substitute stuff, but you generally have to buy in bulk, so we're talking an investment of 10lb of pasta, or 5 lbs of pancake mix.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tessabear Rookie

Yeah, I'd offer to start doing lots of the cooking too. The sort of trying to contribute to the household deal. Shift towards rice, sweet potatoes, and beans instead of noodles and bread.

Maybe find a food pantry with a friendly coordinator and explain your situation to see if they can build a box for you. Previous posters have suggested/found churches to be good starting points. Offer to volunteer. It'll look good on your resume too.

Amazon often has decent prices on the substitute stuff, but you generally have to buy in bulk, so we're talking an investment of 10lb of pasta, or 5 lbs of pancake mix.

Aw, I didn't even think about asking a food bank or anything. I offer to cook but to add to the poopie situation they like premade meals.. way, way too much. I didn't like them much to begin with, lol.

Salax Contributor

Premade as in frozen in a box type? Just a secret between you and me, those are bad bad bad for one's health. Oops not a secret anymore! :P I guess it's a good thing you don't care for them, just as well...you'll be eating WAY healther than they will. And feeling better too. B)

tessabear Rookie

Premade as in frozen in a box type? Just a secret between you and me, those are bad bad bad for one's health. Oops not a secret anymore! :P I guess it's a good thing you don't care for them, just as well...you'll be eating WAY healther than they will. And feeling better too. B)

Lol, yeah I never liked them because I couldn't really stomach them. I'd always feel so sick. I found a few food banks, I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can arrange something with them.

kareng Grand Master

Tessa, Did you graduate from high school? Did you get any special help in school for your health issues? I' m asking because in many states in the US, you might qualify for some job training or help thru the high school programs for special needs kids.

Have you ever received Disability or SSI or some sort of help from the state? Each state is different and it would depend on your disability.

How were you diagnosed? By a doctor's office, free clinic, health department clinic, hospital? Some of these places may be able to help. For example: if you were diagnosed at a county hospital outpatient clinic, you might be able to talk to a hospital social worker to see if you qualify for anything.

If you don't mind giving us more info, we might be able to help with more ideas.

kareng Grand Master

Honey, I just looked at your profile and found your medical problems. Have you been followed by a children's hospital? The social workers there should be able to help you with applying for any programs you qualify for. I can snoop around a little, and see if I can find anything, if you want.

tessabear Rookie

Honey, I just looked at your profile and found your medical problems. Have you been followed by a children's hospital? The social workers there should be able to help you with applying for any programs you qualify for. I can snoop around a little, and see if I can find anything, if you want.

I'm followed by a children's for my blood issues, my neuro and celiac are by two different hospitals. My neuro is is local and my celiac is in Maryland.

tessabear Rookie

Oh also; I can call and ask if the childrens can help out. I've never been on SSI or anything like that though. My father was on SSI and I just remember it being a terrible process for him to get anything.

compucajun Rookie

I'm sorry about your difficulty. It TOTALLY SUCKS!

I've found I don't have to purchase "special" gluten free items for EVERYTHING. Contact the companies that make the food you usually eat, and see if they have a gluten-free list. For example, before I was diagnosed I always used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I contacted them, and everything they make is gluten free. And, surprise, they also make Ken's steak house dressing - which is what I used prior to being diagnosed. GREAT! I sent them an email saying they made my day! So, they sent me a couple of free coupons!

There are several "trusted" companies that will actually list "wheat" "rye" or "barley" on their ingredient list, but you must read the labels EVERY TIME. As far as I know, ConAgra and Kraft does this - so you can check the ingredients of Hebrew National hot dogs (ConAgra) and eat that with some gluten-free beans (Bush baked beans are gluten-free). You can go on-line and look at the products those two companies make, and determine which ones are gluten-free. There are other companies that are "trusted", I just don't know them off hand.

Of course, you still won't be able to eat things with pasta or bread crumbs, stuff like that. But, you may get by cheaper than you think if you do a little research.

The moderator posted this for me a few days ago. Hopefully it will help:

Unsafe ingredients: Open Original Shared Link

Safe ingredients: Open Original Shared Link

A list of companies that has a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc." Open Original Shared Link This makes shopping MUCH easier.

FDA foods are required to list wheat - it cannot be hidden.

Rule #1: Never eat anything without reading the label first.

Rule #2: Consistently check labels, even of your favorite products, as product formulations can change.

Rule #3: If you are unsure of an ingredient, or the company's policy on labeling, call the phone number on the back of the product or email the company.

Hope this helps.

kareng Grand Master

I'm followed by a children's for my blood issues, my neuro and celiac are by two different hospitals. My neuro is is local and my celiac is in Maryland.

Try contacting social work at the children's hospital and the hospital that follows your neuro issue if you want to see if you could get some financial assistance.

Until then, rice, beans, frozen veggies, Thai Kitchen rice noodles or some other Asian rice noodles ( instead of spaghetti). PB, Quaker rice cakes ( the large size are gluten-free), Chex or pebbles cereals ( flavors labelled gluten-free).

beefree11 Newbie

Thanks,

Tessa.

First, welcome to the site, there are many, helpful people here. :). Second, does the doctor/clinic know of your situation? Can they offer any assistance at all? I googled this and found:

Open Original Shared Link

Founded by 16-year-old Pierce Keegan, the gluten-free food pantry will provide access to much needed food for those who can’t afford the specialty items. Keegan, who suffers from celiac disease, recognized a need for gluten-free options after participating in Walk for Hunger for several years.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to eat and have access to gluten-free food,’’ Keegan told the Boston Globe, “but there are many celiacs out there who can’t afford it, and have to make choices between either eating unsafe foods or not eating at all.’’

Keegan has already collected nearly 800 pounds of gluten-free food to stock pantry shelves. Twelve manufacturers have contributed to the cause, the Globe reported.

Good luck to you!!!

tessabear Rookie

I'm sorry about your difficulty. It TOTALLY SUCKS!

I've found I don't have to purchase "special" gluten free items for EVERYTHING. Contact the companies that make the food you usually eat, and see if they have a gluten-free list. For example, before I was diagnosed I always used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I contacted them, and everything they make is gluten free. And, surprise, they also make Ken's steak house dressing - which is what I used prior to being diagnosed. GREAT! I sent them an email saying they made my day! So, they sent me a couple of free coupons!

There are several "trusted" companies that will actually list "wheat" "rye" or "barley" on their ingredient list, but you must read the labels EVERY TIME. As far as I know, ConAgra and Kraft does this - so you can check the ingredients of Hebrew National hot dogs (ConAgra) and eat that with some gluten-free beans (Bush baked beans are gluten-free). You can go on-line and look at the products those two companies make, and determine which ones are gluten-free. There are other companies that are "trusted", I just don't know them off hand.

Of course, you still won't be able to eat things with pasta or bread crumbs, stuff like that. But, you may get by cheaper than you think if you do a little research.

The moderator posted this for me a few days ago. Hopefully it will help:

Unsafe ingredients: Open Original Shared Link

Safe ingredients: Open Original Shared Link

A list of companies that has a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc." Open Original Shared Link This makes shopping MUCH easier.

FDA foods are required to list wheat - it cannot be hidden.

Rule #1: Never eat anything without reading the label first.

Rule #2: Consistently check labels, even of your favorite products, as product formulations can change.

Rule #3: If you are unsure of an ingredient, or the company's policy on labeling, call the phone number on the back of the product or email the company.

Hope this helps.

Oh wow, thanks a lot! This really does help!

Mack the Knife Explorer

Rice and potatoes are very versatile and very cheap gluten free staples. You can pretty much live on them if you have to. It is easy to use them as a carb base for a lot of meals instead of pasta or bread.

Potatoes can be bought in bulk and they can be baked in the microwave in 3 minutes. Or you can mash them, fry them, boil them, roast them or make chips and wedges. I often take cold roast potatoes to work and eat them cold. They taste great!

Rice is extremely versatile. You can cook a big batch and keep cold rice in the fridge for up to five days. You can add this to salads, use it to make fried rice (add oil, egg. some veggies, and gluten-free soy sauce and fry it up) or cook it with a bit of milk to make a breakfast porridge.

Ideally try to get brown or basamati rice because nutritionally they are better for you. Baby potatoes and Nicola potatoes are low GI so if you have a choice try and get these.

But regular rice and potatoes are still very good for you.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Tessa,

If you are sharing the kitchen with gluten eaters, you will need to train them on how to prevent cc (cross contamination). Shared toasters are a bad thing, as the gluten crumbs get stuck in them and ain't easy to get rid of. Shared condiments such as peanut putter or butter, mayo jars etc are bad also. Having separate containers marked as gluten-free is probably the simplest solution. Cutting boards and pots and pans can also be a problem and wooden spoons are hard to clean completely. You should wash your hands every time you eat also as flour is light and can settle on various surfaces around the kitchen.

Medicines and vitamin pills can also have gluten in them so be sure to check. Sometimes the only way to find out is to call the manufacturer, or check on this forum using the search tool.

Staying away from all processed foods to start is good advice. There are some foods that are probably ok tho, like Mission brand corn tortillas, TJ's brown rice wraps, or Food For Life brown rice wraps, organic/natural peanut butters, and frozen veggies with 3 or less ingredients. Actually most things you buy should have 3 or less ingredients, and they should all be food, not chemicals or preservatives or food colorings.

There are gluten-free beers like Redbridge or Greens available to but I doubt a young person like you would be interested in such things. :-)

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

That does suck. I remember the days of being so poor very very well...macaroni and cheese was $.25 a box. I am showing my age, and of course mac and cheese is off limits to you.

Check out the Supper WALMARTS for a Gluten Free section... I found Annie's Rice Pasta & Cheddar (gluten-free) @ the Supper WALMART in Aberdeen Maryland.. It was less than $3, but @ the Health Food Store it was a $1 more... Most prices there were the best I could find...
Jestgar Rising Star

Potatoes can be bought in bulk and they can be baked in the microwave in 3 minutes. Or you can mash them, fry them, boil them, roast them or make chips and wedges. I often take cold roast potatoes to work and eat them cold. They taste great!

oooh yah! I remember in grad school I'd bake a bunch of potatoes and eat them various ways all week (before this gluten thing). Salsa, salt, cheese, tuna salad, free mustard and ketchup from the food service, gravy...

Lots of things you can dump over potatoes.

tessabear Rookie

I wanted to thank you all for all your help. I never knew they're was so many things to do with a potato.. lol. I also wanted to post this .pdf I found. It's a list of all the gluten free stuff at Giant that's not marketed as gluten free, and isn't badly priced. Open Original Shared Link

Roda Rising Star

That's a good idea, I'll see if I can apply for something. I've never heard of any out reach centers or anything. This seems like a really good community. :]

Check with the local food bank. I don't know if they would have any gluten free items in your area, but I have donated safe foods and gluten free products this year to our food bank. Also Angel Food Ministries has a food allergen boxes I think.Open Original Shared Link Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

• 1 month later...
Kate79 Apprentice

Thanks,

Tessa.

Beans & Rice, lentils, grits, asian rice noodles - 'ethnic' stores can be great - I eat corn tortillas in place of bread and it's much, much, much cheaper than gluten free breads. Sometimes, you just have to do without the old staples. I only occasionally eat gluten free pasta or bread now. After 6 months of being gluten free, I don't crave it that often anymore. good luck!

Archived