majones

Just Curious

Rate this topic

So here's the deal.

I've been gluten-free for about a month now. I haven't been tested but see no point in being tested because if this works, it will save my family some much needed money. Within days of starting, I noticed an immediate change. I felt happier (depression was a huge issue) and after a few weeks, I noticed that things just seemed....clearer. The intestinal problems I was experiencing went away (after I realized lactose intolerance was also an issue) and honestly, life has never been better since I know the rest of the issues will so disappear for good.

Problem?

Spring break I went on a trip with my family. My safe quarters for making and eating food disappeared and I was forced to eat out

Are you baking with wheat products for others? Unfortunately that is not a real good idea for us. The flour can remain airborne for up to 24 hours and we can breathe it in or it can drop onto our food.

It does take a bit of time for the antibody reaction to clear up so it can take awhile to get over a glutening.

We have a recipe section on the board that you may find quite helpful so check it out.

It you go to celiac.com main page you will find a link to safe and unsafe foods. If you live near a Wegmans they label all gluten free items with a circle G and they are a great place for us to shop. Kraft and Unilever brands will label clearly so if you don't see a gluten ingredient the item is safe.

Welcome to the board and ask any questions you need to. Glad to hear the diet is helping you so much. It is a good idea for your other family members to get tested also as celiac is strongly genetic.

The good news is that you know you can feel better! The bad news is that for most people, it's not worth it to take chances with cross-contamination or eating out at restaurants that don't offer gluten-free choices. It just takes some time to see what works for you, and you might need to adjust your typical meal plans. I eat a lot of rice, eithe with stir-fry (wheat-free tamari intead of soy sauce) or with meat, beans, corn, salsa and black olives. That's my easy meal when I'm out of ideas. I brown some ground turkey or chicken, add some mexican spices and then layer on the other toppings. I make enough to have leftovers for lunch. Kinnekinick (Im sure I spelled that wrong) pizza crusts are good. Just add meat/veggies and tomato sauce and bake. Always travel with things you know are safe for you, envirokids cereal bars, schar crackers and peanut butter, fruit... that way you're not tempted to take chances. I like this site for recipes: http://www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ And I like the 1-2-3 gluten free mixes for muffins and biscuits. Those are good to make ahead and count on. Good luck to you!

I think the best thing one can do is before a trip to anywhere is to do research, research research! This way you will be comfortable with where you will dine at ..It makes life so much earier when we know what is ahead of our planned day.This way no getting sick (hopefully) no anxiety about dining & you can enjoy your trip.

As for recipes there are some of the best right here under our recipe section. You could spend days going through that section. If you have favorites you are looking for just do a gluten-free google search & you will find more sites than you ever wanted to look at... I find gluten-free has drawn me me to recipes & more receipes....I'd have to live two thousand years to try them all!!!!

Gluten free registry,celiac travel & many more is where to find what restaurants has gluten-free & to check out the menus...

Also when you are someplace where your not sure about ask them to prepare your food(stuff you know is gluten-free ) on foil with no seasoning & to change their gloves..Youstill may get ill but youtried to take somesteps to avoid a major illness...ie; baked potato, plain chicken no coatings or marinades or seasoning...Steamed veggies.

hth

mamaw