This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Baked Goods In Harris Teeter? Would You Buy Them?

Monklady123

Monklady123 Collaborator

I ran into Harris Teeter last night looking for some scones for my dd and friend (friend spent the night so they could get up at 4:00 a.m. and watch the royal wedding B) ) -- So I'm browsing through the bakery section and there on one of the racks were several gluten free options! But -- not brand-name stuff. These had the HT label and were wrapped like they'd been made there. Like the muffins were in those little disposable muffin tin things, the coffee cake on a little styrofoam tray with plastic wrap, etc.

My immediate thought was that here was yet another example of stores catering to those who we ("we" meaning those of us here on this board, because there's been a thread about this just recently) call "gluten lite" people. Because why in the world would I EVER eat something marked gluten free when it's just wrapped like that, and sitting right next to gluteny stuff? :ph34r:

I was in too much of a hurry to ask anyone, but next time I'm over there I'm going to speak to the manager of the bakery and see what he/she has to say. The only way I'd ever try something like that would be if they reassured me that HT has a gluten free baking facility somewhere off-site. Even then I'd be nervous. sheesh...

Anyone ever try these? Anyone ever spoken to HT about it? When I do I'll let you all know. But I'm still not sure I'd eat them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Some of our grocery stores sell gluten-free baked goods. They are from 2 local gluten-free bakeries and labelled as such.

I will be curious to hear what you find out from the manager.

mamaw Community Regular

I have heard Harris Tweeter has their own gluten-free bake goodies.I don't have a store near me but Ido know others who buy ...

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I'm curious to hear what you find out. I shop at HT all the time. I have never seen any gluten-free baked goods but I also don't spend much time looking in the bread and bakery section. If they came from a gluten-free facility off site I would consider it depending on the details. HT does have an excellent return policy for their brand name items. If you try something that is HT brand and are not 100% satisfied with it for any reason they will not only refund your money but they will also give you a comparable name brand item for free. I'm not sure if there is a comparable name brand gluten-free item in this case but my HT stores have always been very accomodating on things like that...I bet CS would give you whatever suitable sub you could think of or take suggestions for brand names they could start stocking if they don't have them. I would LOVE to see Rudi's gluten-free bread in HT sometime.

GFinDC Veteran

I haven't seen that at my local HT on Capital Hill in DC. Where did you see them? I'll try them if you will... You first ok? :D:)

c-topher sean Newbie

im in with GFinDC

ill try em if you do...and if i can find em. i havent quite looked in the baked good section of my local harris teeter's but i am for sure going to be on the look out. most of the time if i cant get to my whole foods to get some really awesome gluten free products ill stop at teeter, they do usually have the udi's gluten free white bread or "whole grain" bread(makes it look like wheat bread i guess)

this is however interesting to me. it was a long time coming when they finally started putting these kinds of products in their stores. i know myself and every other non gluten eater in my town was happy. some times when im in my rush i cant find the bread cause they're sold you lol which is fine for me, lets me see how much of the gluten free bread people in the area buy. ill still stick by my whole foods gluten free bakery! gotta love it! :lol: thanks for the teeter heads up Monklady123

Monklady123 Collaborator

I haven't seen that at my local HT on Capital Hill in DC. Where did you see them? I'll try them if you will... You first ok? :D:)

This was the Harris Teeter at the Harrison Street shopping center, Lee Highway and Harrison in Arlington. Kind of far from Capital Hill, but if you ever find yourself over here....

I'm going to call their customer service on Monday and see what they say. I'll be interested to hear if there's some sort of gluten free baking facility around here, because as far as I know there isn't a dedicated gluten free bakery near me. (I'm not willing to drive to Outer Mongolia, lol.) I'm going to Pittsburgh next week and there is one there. Can't wait! (Gluuteny in Squirrel Hill). But, Harris Teeter would be more convenient than Pittsburgh. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
plumbago Experienced

This was the Harris Teeter at the Harrison Street shopping center, Lee Highway and Harrison in Arlington. Kind of far from Capital Hill, but if you ever find yourself over here....

I'm going to call their customer service on Monday and see what they say. I'll be interested to hear if there's some sort of gluten free baking facility around here, because as far as I know there isn't a dedicated gluten free bakery near me. (I'm not willing to drive to Outer Mongolia, lol.) I'm going to Pittsburgh next week and there is one there. Can't wait! (Gluuteny in Squirrel Hill). But, Harris Teeter would be more convenient than Pittsburgh. ;)

Guys, sorry this is bugging me:

It's Capitol Hill!!! You only live there!

Aaargh.

GFinDC Veteran

Guys, sorry this is bugging me:

It's Capitol Hill!!! You only live there!

Aaargh.

Hmm, guess I don't understand the comment? (befuddled look here) :ph34r:

@ Monklady, I have seen the gluten-free baked goods at the Pennsylvania Ave. HT, but haven't tried them.

So I still can't say I would eat them. I am not really eating much of baked anything these days though.

lovegrov Collaborator

Hmm, guess I don't understand the comment? (befuddled look here) :ph34r:

@ Monklady, I have seen the gluten-free baked goods at the Pennsylvania Ave. HT, but haven't tried them.

So I still can't say I would eat them. I am not really eating much of baked anything these days though.

plumbago was bothered by the misspelling of Capitol Hill.

richard

Archived