Lizzylulu

Doctor Saw The Light

Rate this topic

Monday my two year old had her follow up appointment for her endoscopy. I was already told that even though her gentic testing showed her in catagory 8 (DQ2-DQ2 - I thought she was DQ2 DQ8 till i saw paper work.) she had a normal endoscopy which means she does not have celiac disease, she is gluten intolerant. My daughter is FTT and has not gain any weight since this past August. So you can imagin my surprise when they weighed her and she gained 1 lb & 2 oz since the 29th of March. (Her endo was April 11 and she has been gluten-free ever since.)

I could not contain myself! I started crying and was so happy that my baby grew. Then they told me she had grown a 1/2 inch since the 29th also! I was a sobbing mess.

During the appointment, the doctor strongly recommended that I retest my daughter in August. They wanted her back on regular diet for June July and in Aug. till testing was done again. I knew my husband would not be happy with this but I agreed thinking since the "gold standred" is the endo, than that was what we had to do.

Last night the Doctor call and said the the practice discussed it and they do NOT want my child on a regular diet,ever!The doctor said it would be devestating to her health to but her back on regular food. Then when I questioned her diganosis as Gluten Intolerence, she actually said to me,"Gluten intolerence is celiac disease."

Im so happy that this was the outcome of her journey. Its been a long battle but I finally feel like Im winning the fight!!!!

I am so glad for you! Finally a doctor's office is thinking about the patient, not about the "gold standard".

• Upvote 1

Yay! Take care of your kid, not your doctor. Congratz on the change! :)

• Upvote 1

Hooray for you and your daughter. Sometimes it does pay to go to a group practice where they do discuss patients and greater sense prevails :D Of course she should not eat gluten for three months, especially when she has just started growing again. Be a strong advocate for your daughter and don't let ignorant doctors boss you around :ph34r:

Here's to a healthy, growing, happy daughter and family :)

• Upvote 1

So glad to hear she is doing well and the doctors had some common sense. I hope she continues to thrive.

• Upvote 1