Newtoitall

Uti's And Celiac Disease

Rate this topic

Just out of a desperate curiosity, does anyone else suffer frequent UTI's? (Urinary Tract Infections)

I doubt it has anything to do with Celiac Disease, but I had to ask and see if anyone else was in the same boat.

I read it's common for them to come back once you have had it, and for some it's just everyday life for it to flare up randomly. (apparently) I can't imagine that but anywhoo.

Anyone know a good site to ask questions about UTI's and stuff regarding pain in private area's?

UTI's are endemic to our family, starting with my late mother, and we her three daughters, two with admitted gluten problems (one has a diagnosed celiac daughter) and one with unadmitted gluten problems. I definitely think there is a relationship with celiac disease although I have no idea what it is. I don't get them randomly any more, but they are still lurking and any time I have to take an antibiotic (which is quite often because I am on an immunosuppressant) I get one, and then have to take another (different) antibiotic to get rid of that. It does get tiresome. Sometimes I can ward them off with cranberry tablets - othertimes not.

I was one of those who had frequent UTI's for years before I went gluten free. I definitely think they are related. I haven't had a single one in 8 months...the exact amount of time I have been gluten free. Before I would have one at least every month...sometimes weekly. I was on antibiotics for years for this. Absolutely miserable. Another pleasant surprise on going gluten free...they have completely resolved. I have read of other's on here with the same happy results. Good luck.

Thank goodness that seems to be one good thing that went away fairly quickly. I use to have uti's at least once a year since I was about 14. I can happily say that I have not had 1 since going gluten free. That's been about 2 years now.

My mother and I (both celiacs) used to get them all the time. I was even on prophylactic antibiotics for years just to keep from getting them. However, after reading every study that had come out on how to avoid getting UTIs and trying every remedy on the face of the planet, I hit on the reason for mine. The study I read was very simple--it said that the ONLY difference between women/girls who get frequent UTIs and those that don't is that the women/girls with UTIs urinated less often. Yes, you read that correctly. I thought about my past bathroom habits and realized that my parents had always chastised all of us kids for wasting their time on outings by going to use a restroom. Using restrooms was discouraged from early childhood onward. Then when I started school, the older girls would taunt us younger girls by climbing atop the cubicles and laughing at us while we were using the toilet. At that point, I learned to stifle the urge to urinate, so when I started working, I'd stifle the urge every time because I felt I was too busy to take the time to run to the restroom. The study described how women really need to go to the restroom IMMEDIATELY upon feeling the first urge to urinate. Never stifle the urge to go! Yes, you'll be going more frequently, but I found that after a lifetime of frequent UTIs, I stopped getting them after adopting this practice. I really couldn't believe that it could be that easy....but it was. Of course, this may not be YOUR problem, but it's a cheap, easy solution if you want to try it. Just my two cents....

• Like 1