RachelisFacebook

Something Must Be Really Wrong With Me.

Rate this topic

I must really be a moron.

I know the effects gluten has on my body. I know that even a crumb of gluten causes damage. So what do I do?

I go on a whole gluten binge.

At the drive-in last night with my new boyfriend, I had fries and wing dings. Today, he took me out to a chinese buffet and I ate...well, whatever I wanted!

I'm paying for it all.

It's been well over a year, why oh why did I have this lapse in judgement?!?!?!?!

Lapses in judgement are part of life. We live and learn. So don't beat yourself up too much about it - remember that you're human and learn from your mistake. The good news is you will probably never do that again!

Hope you feel better!

Welcome to being human. I wish I could say that you've learned your lesson and you'll never do it again, but unfortunately that being human thing doesn't go away. The best you can do is do the best you can.

I must really be a moron.

I know the effects gluten has on my body. I know that even a crumb of gluten causes damage. So what do I do?

I go on a whole gluten binge.

At the drive-in last night with my new boyfriend, I had fries and wing dings. Today, he took me out to a chinese buffet and I ate...well, whatever I wanted!

I'm paying for it all.

It's been well over a year, why oh why did I have this lapse in judgement?!?!?!?!

So sorry you are feeling so badly. You mention you were out with your new boyfriend and it must be hard to be with someone new and not be able to go to the places they want to go. Have you told him about the celiac yet? If you haven't it is time to tell him about your dietary restrictions and give some input into where you want to go when you go out to eat. If he cares about you he will understand that you are well worth the trouble of finding a safe place to eat when you are eating out together.

I hope your reaction passes quickly.

• Upvote 1

You are not a moron! You had a momentary lapse in judgment! Who doesn't have those? :unsure:

Sorry you are not feeling well and I hope you recover soon.

I am thinking you will not do this again. Be good to yourself. Don't beat yourself up over it. I have to agree with Ravenwood about talking about this with your new boyfriend so you two can choose better options for eating out.

Take care!

It happens. You can't take it back. All you can do is move forward from here.

I do wonder if somehow you'd gotten glutened a little bit before you went on your binge. Before I was diagnosed, I had binges like that all the time. Once I got off gluten, I suddenly found that I didn't inhale a whole bag of chips or half a loaf of bread. Maybe something triggered you and that's why you jumped.

Feel better!

I read ravenwoodglass' post after writing my reply. I agree with what she said.

Unfortunately most of us are wired to be complacent when things are good (your not feeling sick from gluten) then you forget about the sick times and you eat the wrong foods. I would not waste time beating yourself up. You mentioned you went out to eat with a new boyfriend. If you are still involved with him then talk to him and educate him of your gluten problem. Tell him how you got sick after you two went out and make sure he understands that you can use a little help from him as your second line of defense. How he handles this new knowledge will speak volumes about both his character and how he feels about you.

You are no different than any of us. Up until May 28, 2011, I ate gluten food when eating out with friends or on a date. I thought if I had to be on a gluten-free diet I was weak in some way. It turns out that I am not weak, I am just wired genetically different when it comes to gluten.

Answer the question as to why you allowed yourself to eat gluten. Was it to please or in some wacky way win-over your new boyfriend? Or was it to feel normal and just fit in with the majority? Don't beat yourself up. Just make your conviction to remain gluten-free a priority and stand strong.

i think u are being hard on yourself. yeah having gluten is bad for you and will have negative consequences but you are human. i like how people suggested what was underlying the urge to have gluten because then hopefully u can avoid another slip up like this. i think it is good to talk to your boyfriend and get his support (him encouraging you to stay gluten-free) or at least his understanding (to minimize his saying and doing things that risk cc and make being gluten-free harder). best wishes!